Automatically Tune to Strongest Duplicate Channel (2 Viewers)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I invented the numbers to illustrate the principle; I was not suggesing that they were reasonable! :D
    That's why I just gave informations, not disagree with ;)

(1) Rename the first section from "Tune to strongest channel" to "Duplicate channels". This makes it clearer that we are specifically addressing channels where two identical versions are found during the scan.
    This should be vapourEyes work, I just translated your posts in GFX :)

(2) Is "Enable this alternative tune" needed? If "Retain strongest channel" is not selected, isn't the eliminate-duplicates processing disabled? Or is there still some other processing occurring that should be disabled? o_O
    YES, in that case, you could see what happen (if needed) when scanning at the first time (for trying).
    If no more channels are detected on first scan, why increase the scan delay after and definitively ? (wich can already take a while...).

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've got some code for strongest channel selection. It inserts here in the code-base.
    I've also provided a default path for the pre-existing behaviour.

I enriched the channel object adding a quality field, set and used for comparison. I have ignored signal level.

I'll see how testing goes. If it goes well, then I have an integration job to complete with @framug's pretty good UI stuff, if that is deemed ok.

@framug, Your UI,
    1586133309321.png

Only needs Retain Strongest Channel. Nothing else is required, for the strongest channel stuff to be enabled.

We could optionally filter weaker ones, below a certain threshold, but as @ajs and @CyberSimian have pointed out, this is very dependent on individual set-ups and would need to vary over the course of the day too. Best we drop this I think.

At present, all available channels will be brought in, regardless of quality, then each channel will compete to make it into the list presented for mapping and EPG grabbing.

I've completed as full a test as I could here and I am super-happy with the results !

Last edited:

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello MediaPortalites,

I think the code is working out well. I've re-tuned many times and now don't care much for which order I set the regional tuning off.
    I run 3 cards here - so can set them all off at the same time.

Channels enter a competitive-displacement algorithm and get ejected as the stronger channels win.
    Reminds me of the AI days....

I think we just need to integrate the UI element to this and then this ones complete ?

Did he say 'just' ? :cautious:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Channels enter a competitive-displacement algorithm and get ejected as the stronger channels win.
    That sounds fine. (y)

I think we just need to integrate the UI element to this and then this ones complete ?
    I have never looked at the user interface code in MP, but if I were coding this, I would copy and adapt some of the existing UI code. With any luck, that does not require too much understanding of how it works :eek:. Possibly @framug can offer you some advice if you get stuck? o_O

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    If you want to integrate UI, you need to look in MP code TVlibrary.sln in this case.
    Look inside settings... forms...
    You have to check the properties.
    In MP, labels, variables, most parts of UI elements are named (no checkbox457, etc...)
    I can give you the Windows Form app I made to illustrate what CyberSimian had explained but, since it's not MP embedded, I don't think you will have utility for this.

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Ok - once again - thanks for the great advice.

I need to get my Visual Studio environment up and running somehow and then can make some more progress.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hello @vapourEyes
    i'm the bored guy's, :whistle:

if i can suggest you something, can you fork MP1 github on your own account, and push your code inside a dedicated branch.
    at least everybody can have acces to your code, but in final stage, i suggest to have combined every commits, specially with TVserver, because other work on TVE3.5, and merging stuff will be very complicated.

thank you.

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    hello @vapourEyes
    i'm the bored guy's, :whistle:

if i can suggest you something, can you fork MP1 github on your own account, and push your code inside a dedicated branch.
    at least everybody can have acces to your code, but in final stage, i suggest to have combined every commits, specially with TVserver, because other work on TVE3.5, and merging stuff will be very complicated.

thank you.
    Its probably past time I did this. I'll get this bit sorted at some stage.
    Thanks.

vapourEyes

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Home Country
    At long last I have a .NET dev env, GIT account and, I hope, decent GIT tooling.

I'll make some attempt to integrate my work with @framug 's UI stuff.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Well, please, don't talk about an example of UI for my side, as explained before, it was just a "proof of concept".
    Even if my UI helped you, I'm happy but, it will not be a "major" thing to help decision.
    What we need is, entire clear code you propose (for treatment and UI) then, Team will discuss about it, see if it's useful or not for worldwide people, etc... and finally decide if it could be integrated or not.

BTW, THX for all your work ! (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom