Best Remote for IR (2 Viewers)

flyte

Portal Pro
November 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Anyone able to get this remote to work?

PC Remote Control Windows Media Center XP Controller - (eBay.ca item 320319994125 end time 26-Nov-08 01:34:04 EST)

I am confused on how to setup a generic IR receiver/remote in media portal. Where would I attempt to configure this in the remote options page in Media Portal Configuration?

An official Microsoft remote should work without setup out of the box.. at least mine did :) No driver installation needed, No Key mapping or other difficult things to do.. plug it in and it works.

It is if you want more things to do with your remote like opening and closing of other programs then it starts to get complicated.

I'm just looking for a remote/receiver to drive MediaPortal, and nothing else.

I don't think the one I posted is an official Microsoft product (i.e.: it isn't made by MS), however it is advertised to work with Microsoft stuff. Hopefully it works...

What would be the necessary configuration steps in MP Confiuration / Remote Tab? Would I just try each of the tabs on that settings page?

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

PC Remote Control Windows Media Center XP Controller - (eBay.ca item 320319994125 end time 26-Nov-08 01:34:04 EST)

I am confused on how to setup a generic IR receiver/remote in media portal. Where would I attempt to configure this in the remote options page in Media Portal Configuration?

An official Microsoft remote should work without setup out of the box.. at least mine did :) No driver installation needed, No Key mapping or other difficult things to do.. plug it in and it works.

It is if you want more things to do with your remote like opening and closing of other programs then it starts to get complicated.

I'm just looking for a remote/receiver to drive MediaPortal, and nothing else.

I don't think the one I posted is an official Microsoft product (i.e.: it isn't made by MS), however it is advertised to work with Microsoft stuff. Hopefully it works...

What would be the necessary configuration steps in MP Confiuration / Remote Tab? Would I just try each of the tabs on that settings page?

Just leave everything on default.. probably the remote works with the standard Microsoft Windows driver, and then you should be OK.

A few additional things you should do:
    To make the green button working make sure you install Mptray. This tiny app, will make sure that if Mediaportal is not running, pressing the green button starts Mediaportal.. while running mediaportal pressing the green button will bring you back to the home screen.

If you running Windows Vista Home premium or Ultimate, beside Mediaportal, the green button will also start Windows Media Center at the same time. Here is how you can prevent that from happening:

How to Disable (Uninstall and Remove) Windows Media Center in Vista My Digital Life

flyte

Portal Pro
    November 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just leave everything on default.. probably the remote works with the standard Microsoft Windows driver, and then you should be OK.

To make the green button working make sure you install Mptray. This tiny app, will make sure that if Mediaportal is not running, pressing the green button starts Mediaportal.. while running mediaportal pressing the green button will bring you back to the home screen.

If you running Windows Vista Home premium or Ultimate, beside Mediaportal, the green button will also start Windows Media Center at the same time. Here is how you can prevent that from happening:

How to Disable (Uninstall and Remove) Windows Media Center in Vista My Digital Life

I don't think my remote (PC Remote Control Windows Media Center XP Controller - (eBay.ca item 320319994125 end time 26-Nov-08 01:34:04 EST)) has the "green button" like the true MS MCE remote does.

I am using WinXP MCE, but I use MediaPortal because my vid card drivers didn't work in MCE for some reason (Radeon 9800 Pro). And besides, media portal is wayy better.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I don't think my remote (PC Remote Control Windows Media Center XP Controller - (eBay.ca item 320319994125 end time 26-Nov-08 01:34:04 EST)) has the "green button" like the true MS MCE remote does.

I am using WinXP MCE, but I use MediaPortal because my vid card drivers didn't work in MCE for some reason (Radeon 9800 Pro). And besides, media portal is wayy better.

I would not worry too much about it, If it comes with software and its own driver, just set to be used with Windows Mediacenter, and it will work in Mediaportal as well.

You see, it is really simple, Mediaportal buttons = MCE buttons.
    Your remote misses some buttons, like the big green one, but I am sure one of the other buttons (probably the red one) will act just like that.

Lots

geoffw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    IR Panel

does anyone have a view that the best IR panel with blaster (non usb) functionality.

I have harmony remote?

Geoff

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I see that the philips remote is pictured under the MS tab in MP config, does that mean that the Philips remote basically is a copy of the MS remote? So everything works the same way?

jang

Portal Member
    May 25, 2007
    To those using Harmony One, do you need to manual learn buttons?

I selected my remote as Microsoft MCE remote, and used the Harmony 1. I found that not all things work. If I remember correctly, the "My Videos" on button on the screen doesn't bring you to the videos folder. Some basic commands don't work also.

How did you configure it? I am confused by the selections there is for remote control.

PWF

Portal Member
    October 18, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

I have a Harmony 659 that I can't live without. I'm still in the process of building my media center, but I just ordered this remote on Ebay for $10, mainly for the IR port and drivers. I'll let you guys know if it works well once it arrives.

-ProgramsWithFortran

Did you ever get this receiver to work with MediaPortal?

I did, though for some reason I can't get rewind to work. Everything else works great. I have to dig and figure out which remote I set it up as. I just upgraded to 1.0.1 and it killed all my settings so I have to go back and figure them all out again. :(

Sorry I took so long to respond. My wife and I adopted a little girl a few months ago and that is taking up most of my time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread