[Beta - Update 2013/08/09] MP3D - Render 3D videos via MediaPortal! (1 Viewer)

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: [Beta - Update 2011/04/30] MP3D - Render 3D videos via MediaPortal!

Hi have installed but with live tv if I press 3 it zaps to another channel. Any advice on if I have missed something in config or an alternative key I should use?

Thanks

Bob

Collective

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Can't wait to try this out when I do my reinstall... waiting on a few replacement parts. Was hoping someone would write something like this :D

I have 1 suggestion though. Instead of having to fiddle around with the 3d settings in MP, you can set all the playback settings for each file... SBS, glasses/TV type etc and export from Stereoscopic player into a stereoscopic metafile, a .svi file. then playing the svi file plays it with all the correct settings.

Can you detect if there is an .svi file with the movie of the same name (eg: 3d_movie1.mp4 and 3d_movie1.svi) and if so, can you use the settings in the .svi file automatically so that you don't need to adjust anything at all?

Also, on a side note, is anyone aware of any programs that are compatible with matroska's new 3d format? .mk3d? I know it's still WIP but it allows both video streams to be stored in a single file, but so-far nothing plays them. I was hoping version 1.7 of stereoscopic player would support it, but apparently not, but maybe soon ;)

actually, just tested, version 1.7 does play mk3d, it's just not listed in supported files so doesn't show up unless you select 'show all files' when loading a video. Then an .svi file can be created, so it does play dual stream mk3d files. the only problem with Stereoscopic player is no support for subtitles. Will MP be able to add subtitles on top of the 3d video?

ScRePt

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2010
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Typically you would have about the same input format for each video. And also the same output format always.
    I've implemented a profile system where you setup the profiles to quickly switch between them.

Reading the .svi files requires additional work and testing for which I do not have the time right now. There are also some cases where 3d attributes are embeded within the files. I am aware of such "automations" but do not have the time to deal with.

Also, To render new types of videos requires a wrapper around the 3dtv renderer for which I was not able to succeed. When it comes to .h files I am rookie!
    The subtitles for the mkv files play nicely in MP for me, out of the box, without extra parameterization. The mk3d files I suppose can not be even rendered.

bob808
    Please send me a clear log of a session where you start mp, fire tv, press button 3 and nothing happens, then exit MP so that I can investigate. The logs are located typically in C:\ProrgamData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\logs\MediaPortal.log

Collective

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

"Typically you would have about the same input format for each video."
    why do you assume this? I have many 3d files with different formats, different containers, different setups. I do not want to set up a profile for each video, which is what you're suggesting. I test many different formats, setting, file formats, sbs, top/bottom, half width, full frame, separate left/right files and mk3d allowing you to put both left/right videos and the subtitles in the one file, and have found that once loading mk3d's into stereoscopic player and creating an .svi, it loads and plays fine in the player. Sometimes the nature of the video itself determines the best encoding method, plus your preferences on quality.

"Reading the .svi files requires additional work and testing for which I do not have the time right now. There are also some cases where 3d attributes are embeded within the files. I am aware of such "automations" but do not have the time to deal with."
    I know it would require extra work, but since you *require* stereoscopic player for this plugin to run, then dispensing with 'other' automation and focussing on the .svi file which is a function of the program itself, this would provide some consistency. So since the mk3d files do run in stereoscopic player, just the player doesn't do subtitles, all I would have to do is add .svi as a video filetype to MP and it would be nice if your plugin would recognise the .svi and it would load the mk3d file. The question I have is does MP still render subtitles over the top? .srt subtitles for example over the 3d video?

So far, the ability to export .svi files is the simplest and best way to identify which videos are 3d and which are not. If people have created .svi files, why make them setup the 3d settings all over again for each video? use the program's own metafile format if it's there.

If you feel out of your depth, being a 'rookie', perhaps you could get some help from some of the other more experienced plugin writers? perhaps a collaboration. All I know is that your "proof of concept' is going to become VERY popular and will need to be more than just a proof of concept. It will end up requiring a lot more sophistication and flexability. Some people are testing it on 3dTV broadcasts, others like me are more concerned with 3d video files, 3d bluray backups etc.

You've struck gold with this whole idea. Please, listen to the users and how people use it and how they'd like to improve function. Don't let a great idea die in it's infancy because you use it 1 specific way or you 'don't have time' or because you're a 'rookie'. Get as much help as you can, collaborate, and make it user friendly and configurable to the user's needs, and you'll find this plugin up there with MP-TVSeries and Moving Pictures, as 'indispensable plugins'

ScRePt

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2010
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Well, I think I am listening to users. Maybe I was not clear. I'll try to implement .svi support when I have the time. Maybe the plugin should also generate/update those svi files on request ;-)

I am not sure how I could find c developers with c# knowledge for the wrapper. Never done it before. I am also not sure how MP itself will allow me to inject my own renderer. I don't think that's allowed.

As for the popularity, if people have ideas or are willing to contribute, the thread is here, I am here, let's make it better!

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi guys, i'm just stepping into this 3DTV thing. Downloaded a couple of 3D movies. But would it be possible with this plugin too see bluray 3D rips through MediaPortal?

sns2015

Portal Member
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Hey this is a great plugin. The one problem I'm having is that I can't get line-interlaced output to work. I'm connected to one of the new Vizio passive 3D displays and when trying to playback a half-SBS Blu-ray rip, the width is halved and when I go to stretch it out, the resizing algorithm blurs the lines together eliminating the line-by-line. I've gotten the line-by-line to work within steroscopic player itself and in Arcsoft Total Media Theatre for Blu-ray 3D playback, but I can't get it to work in Mediaportal. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Running Windows 7 32-bit, MP 1.2 beta, and using an Nvidia GT430 connected via HDMI)

ScRePt

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2010
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

wouter1971
    If MediaPortal can play it, MP3D can play it too. Checkout the formats supported in the wiki

sns2015
    How did you make it work in stereoscopic player? Did you change any "advanced" settings? Does it work when you go fullscreen?
    I bet it has something to do with your screenresolution. Try to set the screen resolution to x1080 or x720 and do not apply any of the MP stretch algorithms. That's how I got it playing for me!

sns2015

Portal Member
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

From what I can gather there are two factors as to why it works in Stereoscopic Player: the first is that I have the option to set a half-width Side-by-Side which autocorrects the aspect ratio problem. The second is that it seems to reapply the line-by-line each time that the size of the video changes (I.e. Fullscreen vs windowed). I'm guessing that the reapplying of the 3D filter at the last step of the chain is likely difficult without changing the way Mediaportal functions at it's core, but the aspect ratio fix might be easier.
    I'm trying to play back a 1080p video that's encoded into 1920x1080 half-width side by side and so when the 3D filter is added, it halves the aspect ratio as well, squeezing it into the middle half of the screen. At this point, the line by line works perfect and the 3D effect comes through, however everything has been squished into that tiny box in the center of the screen. In order to correct that I have to stretch the video out through the Mediaportal zoom/crop/stretch controls which then has the resizing algorithm it's using blur the lines together producing essentially a monoscopic view with both eyes blurred into each other. Hope that helps explain it a bit better.

ScRePt

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2010
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

Have you tried all the available MP resizing options? The Normal (not the original) for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom