CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (4 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Farley :)

I'm sorry if It's been discussed somewhere but I can't seem to find any good direction in my seraches.
    Have you looked at the first post in this thread?

It looks like support for HD Homerun Prime exists however I can not figure out how to get media portal to find any channels when I do a scan.
    The screenshot you attached shows you're scanning as if the PRIME is a clear QAM tuner. Both the wiki (manual) and the first post in this thread instruct you to use tuning mode "digital cable".

I have the 3 tuner sillicondust HD Homerun Prime. I also have a subscription to schedules direct. Can anyone give me a definitive answer to whether I can use media portal for this setup?
    No. The best we can give is a partial answer.
    Your tuner is supported if you have upgraded the firmware to 20130708 or newer. :)
    SchedulesDirect data can be imported. I advise to use mc2xml with the XMLTV plugin rather than the dedicated plugin.
    The question nobody can answer for you is whether you'll be able to receive all your channels. That depends on your cable provider, and how they protect their channels in your area (market). MediaPortal can only receive "copy-freely" channels; copy-once protected channels can't be received.

Regards,
    mm

Farley Postgate

September 28, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Wow thanks for the quick reply. I did try all the options for scan including digital cable and found nothing. Just thought it must work if nextPVR and and the HD homerun View soft can see all the chanelsl. Next PVR is terribly slow compared to the Windows media center in windows 8.1. Just would like to upgrade the HTPC OS to windows 10 but not gonna until I can figure out a way to get a software PVR to work again. Would rather not use the a set top box.

Cable provider is Verizon Fios.

Any other insight would be helpful. I will try and check out the mc2xml plugin descibed above but it probably wont help if I can't find any of the digital channels.

Thanks again,
    Farley

Attachments

• Digital cable.PNG
      Digital cable.PNG
      36.9 KB

loopery

Portal Member
    September 26, 2015
    Home Country
    I did try all the options for scan including digital cable and found nothing.

Disable "EPG grabbing" in the tuner properties. You might also be better off disabling card "preloading" for the initial setup (to avoid any conflicts). Exit tvsetup, stop-start tvservice (or restart your computer), then try to run the scan again -- this time using ATSC Digital Terrestrial mode. I have Verizon FIOS as well and it's all working smoothly.

I might tinker with the XMLTV plugin later again, but it's not working for me; had to resort to WebEPG.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did try all the options for scan including digital cable and found nothing. Just thought it must work if nextPVR and and the HD homerun View soft can see all the chanelsl.
    Again, please read the first post and/or the wiki. I quote the first post:
    Once the scan completes you should see a message telling you the number of new and updated channels that TV Server found. If TV Server does not find any new or updated channels that means it is having problems getting information from the CableCARD. This is almost always due to firewall configurate. Ensure TV Server has full access to your network.

In other words: most likely you are running a firewall which is blocking TV Server from receiving the lineup information from your CableCARD. You need to configure the firewall appropriately.

Cable provider is Verizon Fios.
    You should be in luck then. :)
    AFAIK Verizon only flags a few "premium" channels (HBO etc.) as copy once.

I will try and check out the mc2xml plugin descibed above but it probably wont help if I can't find any of the digital channels.
    Bingo!
    You can't do anything until you have channels. To get channels, follow the instructions in the first post carefully. Don't skip the patch mentioned in the update.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For what it's worth...

Disable "EPG grabbing" in the tuner properties.
    Disabling EPG grabbing won't help with Farley's scanning problems. TV Server won't be attempting to grab EPG until there are channels.

You might also be better off disabling card "preloading" for the initial setup (to avoid any conflicts).
    Preloading is disabled by default, and none of the setup instructions recommend enabling it. Even if Farley has chosen to enable it for some reason, it shouldn't cause a problem with scanning.

Exit tvsetup, stop-start tvservice (or restart your computer), then try to run the scan again -- this time using ATSC Digital Terrestrial mode.
    I cannot support this recommendation. "ATSC Digital Terrestrial" mode is intended for use with ATSC tuners (ie. not CableCARD tuners) which are connected to an aerial/antenna. If you have a CableCARD tuner, the only recommended mode is "Digital Cable".

I might tinker with the XMLTV plugin later again, but it's not working for me; had to resort to WebEPG.
    If you would like help with this then please feel free to start a new thread with the details here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/xmltv.137/

loopery

Portal Member
    September 26, 2015
    Home Country
    try to run the scan again -- this time using ATSC Digital Terrestrial mode

I cannot support this recommendation. "ATSC Digital Terrestrial" mode is intended for use with ATSC tuners (ie. not CableCARD tuners) which are connected to an aerial/antenna. If you have a CableCARD tuner, the only recommended mode is "Digital Cable".

My bad. Do choose "digital cable" as the tuning method for the HDHR3. I was thinking about my ATSC tuner card (I have an HDHR3 and an ATSC tuner card).

Keith T Kinser

October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    I have Charter and I thought i had everything setup correctly. It all reset. Any help would he appreciated... this is my 5th program ive tried using. I have a hauppauge winTV-DCR2650 on windows 10 64bit

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Keith

From the server log files I can see you did a whole lot of scanning, then a whole lot of testing. However, the scans you did were as if you had a clear QAM or ATSC tuner (which is wrong because you have a CableCARD tuner), and none of the testing you did was successful. In other words, it looks to me like you never had anything setup correctly. My advice to you is to delete all channels you have in TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels and start over following the guide in the first post carefully. That guide tells you exactly how to configure your tuners and scan properly.

Regards,
    mm

Keith T Kinser

October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply... I accidently deleted the channels already. I will try that. Should it work once I figured it out? Charter tells me it won't but hauppauge says yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom