Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

kuku

Portal Member
May 7, 2008
Can someone confirm for me that we can actually receive 5.1 signals with freeview hd in NZ? I'm using a hauppauge dvb-t card and whilst I can watch HD it all seems to come through as stereo. I'm using Powerdvd8 to decode the h264 stream and am using analog outputs on my motherboard to get 5.1 signals out, which works great for dvd content etc.

I'm thinking I must have misconfigured pdvd or something. Do they only broadcast 5.1 for the shows that are broadcast in HD?

Cheers

I would also like to know this. I seem to be getting 5.1 sound from HD shows on TV3, but no 5.1 on HD shows on TV1 TV2.

I noticed something weird with the surround sound. When I start MP, I only get stereo on all channels (I tried pretty much all settings of Monogram). If I go to TV3 (the only channel with 2 "languages") and then change the language to AC3:eng, I still get only stereo. But then if I switch, say, to TV2, I get 5.1 sound on TV2! Going back on TV3 now gives me 5.1 sound with LATM!

I managed to resolve my problem. I added AC3 filter to Television --> TV Post Processing. Of course, I had to configure AC3filter for 5.1 sound. Now I get surround sound without having to switch languages. It is pretty cool!

I hope this helps. I have an Asus P5B mobo with a soundmax driver, connected to a receiver with an optical cable.

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I noticed something weird with the surround sound. When I start MP, I only get stereo on all channels (I tried pretty much all settings of Monogram). If I go to TV3 (the only channel with 2 "languages") and then change the language to AC3:eng, I still get only stereo. But then if I switch, say, to TV2, I get 5.1 sound on TV2! Going back on TV3 now gives me 5.1 sound with LATM!

I managed to resolve my problem. I added AC3 filter to Television --> TV Post Processing. Of course, I had to configure AC3filter for 5.1 sound. Now I get surround sound without having to switch languages. It is pretty cool!

I hope this helps. I have an Asus P5B mobo with a soundmax driver, connected to a receiver with an optical cable.
I assume this is a better solution than setting my audio codec as ffdshow then setting it to pass through AC3 or something. That's how mine is currently setup but i havent tested it (htpc needs a bit of love).

dingbatt

Portal Member
April 3, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Can someone confirm for me that we can actually receive 5.1 signals with freeview hd in NZ? I'm using a hauppauge dvb-t card and whilst I can watch HD it all seems to come through as stereo. I'm using Powerdvd8 to decode the h264 stream and am using analog outputs on my motherboard to get 5.1 signals out, which works great for dvd content etc.

I'm thinking I must have misconfigured pdvd or something. Do they only broadcast 5.1 for the shows that are broadcast in HD?

Cheers

I would also like to know this. I seem to be getting 5.1 sound from HD shows on TV3, but no 5.1 on HD shows on TV1 TV2.

How do you add the AC3 filter, and is that the same thing as AC3 Parser? I can find that in the post-processing menu but don't know how to activate:oops:.

eXDee

Portal Pro
February 20, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I just did it an hour ago.
Google AC3 Filter, download and install.
For Videos, TV and DVD add AC3Filter to post processing, and put a tick by each. Tick 'Use AC3Filter' in DVD codecs.
Configure it with your setup eg passthrough AC3 and DTS if your receiver supports it, and your speaker setup + other stuff.
For good measure i disabled AC3 and DTS in ffdshow.

Play some 5.1 content, and check using Graphedit.

I put in The Eagles DVD and selected the 5.1 soundtrack. When i started playing it my receiver detected DTS audio, and graphedit confirmed AC3 Filter was being used.
I assume if this works, Freeview will work also, havent got a 5.1 program to test with.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For Videos, TV and DVD add AC3Filter to post processing, and put a tick by each. Tick 'Use AC3Filter' in DVD codecs.
    Configure it with your setup eg passthrough AC3 and DTS if your receiver supports it, and your speaker setup + other stuff.

I put in The Eagles DVD and selected the 5.1 soundtrack. When i started playing it my receiver detected DTS audio, and graphedit confirmed AC3 Filter was being used.
    I assume if this works, Freeview will work also, havent got a 5.1 program to test with.

I can get 5.1 on TV3 when it broadcasts 5.1 without installing any additional filters, just using the default MP audio codec MPA, and setting it to use SPDIF and setting AC3 to preferred when available.

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006

I can get 5.1 on TV3 when it broadcasts 5.1 without installing any additional filters, just using the default MP audio codec MPA, and setting it to use SPDIF and setting AC3 to preferred when available.

Same here, but still waiting to comfirm with someone that the HD on TVNZ are 5.1 !!!!!! I only getting 5.1 on TV3 so far.

dingbatt

Portal Member
    April 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Thanks guys. I will look at both suggestions. I run the HTPC through a hdmi 4x2 matrix switch to a plasma or receiver/projector, so some times I want 2-channel and sometimes 5.1. I had an idea that the green button on the remote (not the MCE launch one) allows you to cycle through different sound options in MP.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is a hot key in mediaportal for changing audio language, if you hit that key it changes between 5.1 and stereo on TV3. You can find out what the key is by going MP Config->General->Keyshortcuts i think. I just program the shortcut key to the language button on my iPAD remote. Other way is to right click on the screen then click audio/language and you can choose AC3/Stereo.

kuku

Portal Member
    May 7, 2008
    There is a hot key in mediaportal for changing audio language, if you hit that key it changes between 5.1 and stereo on TV3. You can find out what the key is by going MP Config->General->Keyshortcuts i think. I just program the shortcut key to the language button on my iPAD remote. Other way is to right click on the screen then click audio/language and you can choose AC3/Stereo.

Hi, I believe you are talking about the green button on the remote control. What it does is it changes between LATM audio and AC3. Currently only TV3 has both audio tracks.

I was trying to say that you can get 5.1 sound with LATM (i.e. also on TV1, TV2, etc). In fact, that is the only way I can get surround sound (AC3 on TV3 only gives me stereo fpr some reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom