Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok so I thought I knew how to do this and have done many a time on my old computers, but cant for the life of me get it to work on Media Portal.

I am using DVD Shrink..I copy the DVD onto the HDD into a folder with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Each DVD has a folder with the title and the relevant VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

How do I now get these to play in MP?..It just wants to load avi files even though I have select video extensions IFO and VOB in the setup.

I am totally lost..can someone please post a nice easy step by step on how to upload the DVD files (i want to keep the menu structure so AVI conversion is no good) and how to make MP play them. I then want the DVD covers to be viewable as well...I have searched everywhere and I just cant find instructions on how to make this work. All other posts refer to AVI files and ISO (whats ISO??..is this what I need to do?)

PLEASE help me....any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated...

This is exactly the folder structure I use for backing up DVDs to my server and I've never really had a problem with them being found although I now use the "My Films" plugin. This allows me to better manage my catalog of movies in an external application (DVD Profiler in my case). So what I do is specify the name of the folder where the DVD structure is held in the DVD profiler notes field, just the dvd folder, not the ifo or vob, then export to xml which the My Films plugin then reads.

I guess my point is that MP seems to resolve the DVD file structure VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO etc beneath that to play the actual movie by itself.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok so I thought I knew how to do this and have done many a time on my old computers, but cant for the life of me get it to work on Media Portal.

I am using DVD Shrink..I copy the DVD onto the HDD into a folder with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Each DVD has a folder with the title and the relevant VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

How do I now get these to play in MP?..It just wants to load avi files even though I have select video extensions IFO and VOB in the setup.

I am totally lost..can someone please post a nice easy step by step on how to upload the DVD files (i want to keep the menu structure so AVI conversion is no good) and how to make MP play them. I then want the DVD covers to be viewable as well...I have searched everywhere and I just cant find instructions on how to make this work. All other posts refer to AVI files and ISO (whats ISO??..is this what I need to do?)

This is exactly the folder structure I use for backing up DVDs to my server and I've never really had a problem with them being found although I now use the "My Films" plugin. This allows me to better manage my catalog of movies in an external application (DVD Profiler in my case). So what I do is specify the name of the folder where the DVD structure is held in the DVD profiler notes field, just the dvd folder, not the ifo or vob, then export to xml which the My Films plugin then reads.

I guess my point is that MP seems to resolve the DVD file structure VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO etc beneath that to play the actual movie by itself.

For movie files on HDD (including AVI format etc) I reckon the MovingPictures plugin is a better way to go - it grabs movie info and fanart very quickly and (as long as the skin you're using supports the plugin) displays it in an easy to use way. I use the MyFilms plugin for movies on DVD disc.

Dave

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

For movie files on HDD (including AVI format etc) I reckon the MovingPictures plugin is a better way to go - it grabs movie info and fanart very quickly and (as long as the skin you're using supports the plugin) displays it in an easy to use way. I use the MyFilms plugin for movies on DVD disc.

Dave

I preferred the quality and certainty of the movie info I get through DVD profiler and had previously been using it before moving from MCE My Movies to MP.
    That said, if you've got an existing collection that is well named sitting on HDD then I think you're probably right and Moving Pictures is the simplest way to get things up and running.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ... if you've got an existing collection that is well named sitting on HDD then I think you're probably right and Moving Pictures is the simplest way to get things up and running.

Yeah, it just saves typing in all the movie titles!! :eek: I use MovieCollectorz for my MyFilms movie info and it's good but just such a pain in the $#@ to keep up to date. MovingPictures is almost set and forget - even when it can't find the movie straight away (due to badly named files) I've always found that it comes up with the right one in it's "suggested" titles :)

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey everyone, seeing as though there seems to be so many of us now in NZ we should have a movie night round someone's place! Hand's up who has a nice projector and plenty of room?

PS - Bleazle.... Loving the latest version of the skin!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 Moving Pictures is amazing, it guessed all my movies except for 3 (>100 correct) and those 3 were foreign ones too. Amazing plugin, i only discovered it a few days ago.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey everyone, seeing as though there seems to be so many of us now in NZ we should have a movie night round someone's place! Hand's up who has a nice projector and plenty of room?

PS - Bleazle.... Loving the latest version of the skin!

I'm in, it would be good to meet some other MP users - no projector here but the 50" plasma isn't too shabby :D It would have to be a wife free occasion wouldn't it? otherwise they'd all get together and start talking about how we all start playing with MP (and screw things up!) just when they want to watch something on TV (or does that only happen at my place? :D )

Glad you like the skin :) I changed my signature today so now I'm doing a bit of advertising for NZ :) people from all over the world have posted on the Bleazle skin thread - even had someone from Laos comment today so I figured I should do my bit for NZ tourism :D :D

Anyway, you arrange the get together and I'll be there! (as long as it's in Auckland..)

Dave

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Fellow Kiwis,

WOW, been a while since I looked at this thread and man has there been some posts - it's like a little Kiwi community. Had to laugh at the comments in this page about the wifes comments - me too :D. Would also be keen on a catch up with others to see how they are using Media Portal.

Hey guys (I'm assuming it's all guys on this forum judging about the comments so far) ... I'm looking for a bit of help on a few things:

Missed Recordings:

The biggest problem I have had is failed recordings from the machine not waking from sleep - I'm on Vista 32 bit SP1 and version 1.0 final. I might have traced the problem down to the EPG grabbing each morning at 6:00am and the machine being forced into sleep. My TVS Settings and log files are on this forum right at the end

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/mp-does-not-resume-sleep-47834/index2.html

As mentioned in the forum, I'm using the xmlTVNZ routine from Reven's site and placing the "bat" file in the command line of the EPG Tab within Powerscheduler. Is there a better method of grabbing the EPG? I was wondering if it's possible to pull it directly from a website in the "XML" Plugin??

Music Videos:

Currently I'm recording C4 (1080i) and carving up the videos in "Video Editor". This issue I'm striking is that the videos sometimes gam on the last frame in My Videos when playing in a playlist. This means I manually have to advance to the next song. This is not going to be good for my upcoming birthday party.

Any ideas? Does anybody have a good collection of 80's music videos? Is there another tool anybody is using? I have found "MVID's" Music database on a forum, but it looked like it was full of problems, so I was going to stay with the My Videos option - just gotta sort the playlist issue!!

MPG4 Files:

Got some MPG4 files but my Codec will not play them? I'm using CoreAVC recommended when I first installed Media Portal - it's been great on TV3 and C4 with 1080i format (de-interlacing)

Any help on the above appreciated.

Also keen for a get together to share ideas as well!!

Cheers

Graham

PS: Anyone else live in the Royal Oak / Epsom area??:p

metalla_nz

Portal Pro
    June 19, 2007
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have been using Mvids for a while now, and have it set-up at m parents, if they can use it anyone can.

No major issues with it. Biggest one I have right now is not being able to edit the titles manually, but it usuall grabs everthing ok from file name, Just ensure that your music vids are all in artist - title.ext format.

But works well.

In regards to XMLTVNZ, This probabl wont help as it doesnt sound like your problem is related, however as an aside, set your scraper to run sometime after the hour (e,g 6:15) As one of the sites updates every hour on the hour and the listings are offline for a bit so could cause problems, it did for me a while back.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    gperkinson

I have things setup slightly differently

Enable powerscheduler in TV Server config, but i dont use the wakeup for epg grabbing option, i only have it setup to wake computer prior to scheduled recordings

I use mentalinc's epg grabber and have this setup as a scheduled task, and have the scheduled task wake the computer from sleep to run the grabber. (NB you must have a password for user account for scheduled task to work) PS - mentalinc's schedule task batch file didn't work for me i setup scheduled task in control panel -> data/time settings -> Schedule tasks

in bios make sure S3/STR sleep is enabled, make sure you are sleeping and not hibernating, check control panel power options, if powersceduler is enabled in MP Config, make sure it is set to suspend/sleep and not hibernate (hibernate is default)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom