Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (6 Viewers)

yesdup

Portal Member
July 4, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
mcraenz

MP locks up, freezes and cannot be quit from the remote. ALT CTRL DEL on a keyboard is needed to shut down MP. Then a reboot is needed to get the server back to connecting with MP. If i don't reboot MP will freeze as soon as i access "My TV" i can navigate else where but not TV. I may be able to achieve the same with logging out but haven't tried.

I have now got all power setting set to "never" and i although i have GBPVR installed i have turned of the recording service and is not running on the system at all. Should i be looking for anything from Hauppauge???

It happens after a period of inactivity i.e. overnight. once running it is doing fine. But i do need it to be on while at work to record stuff...:confused:

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
...I'm off to throw some more RAM and a new DVD Drive into my HTPC then I should probably think about doing some work...

I thought that would be a 30 minute job - man was I wrong :rolleyes: I dropped the RAM and DVD drive into place, gave it a vacuum (she was a bit dusty in there!) and made sure everything was seated properly (because of the problems I was having restarting it as posted last week). Once everything was set I hit the power button and.... nothing :( it didn't even try to start :eek: :eek: I started by removing the RAM (no joy) then the DVD drive, (still no joy :( ) then rechecked everything and to cut a long story short I finally decided it was a dire emergency and I had to swallow my pride and head to the shop to get it fixed. It's only the second time I've had to do that and both times I've taken it to OEM Computers in Manukau (OEM Computers) and they've been awesome both times! I dropped the dead HTPC on the counter, explained the situation and the guy went to work on it straight away :) He found the problem almost straight away - a dodgy PSU - whew! nothing major (but I wouldn't have been able to work it out especially since the green light was still lighting up on the MOBO). He double checked things and half an hour later I was walking out of the shop with a new PSU. And the charge for such awesome service? $10 - fantastic!! :D :DIf this was TradeMe I'd be giving them a AAAAA++++ rating!! I highly recommend these guys!!

...Yes I do have a DVB-S tuner and a PVR 150. What's this about 2 transponders... is this the bit pointng into the dish?...

I was hoping mcraenz or someone else would answer that for you while I was resurrecting my baby! I'm not the expert on this stuff so I'll let someone else cover this for you properly but basically the Freeview channels are transmitted via 2 separate transponders (on the big bird in the sky). That's why you need two DVB-S cards to be able to record from both transponders at once. One card can record all of the channels transmitted on one transponder at once, but not one channel from transponder "A" and another from transponder "B" at the same time (for example).

Also, are you sure you've got the right settings for the 160.0°E Optus B1,D1.ini? This is what you should have:

[SATTYPE]
1=1600
2=Optus B1,D1

[DVB]
0=2

1=12456,H,22500,34
2=12483,H,22500,34
3=12707,H,22500

I'll leave this to the experts now :) mcraenz, where are you at?

Dave

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    basically the Freeview channels are transmitted via 2 separate transponders (on the big bird in the sky). That's why you need two DVB-S cards to be able to record from both transponders at once. One card can record all of the channels transmitted on one transponder at once, but not one channel from transponder "A" and another from transponder "B" at the same time (for example).

Yeah that basically sums it up. A transponder (either DVB-S (Satellite) or DVB-T (Terrestrial) ) is transmitted on a single frequency; the TV card tunes in to that frequency and starts receiving a digital data stream called a multiplex (MUX). Now this MUX can potentially contain many different channels depending on the quality of each channel but the point is that most TV software will just pick out 1 channel and display (play) or record it But not MediaPortal TVServer it's so awesome that it can play or record all the channels in the MUX at one time. Freeview uses just 2 main muxes for TVNZ channels and Mediaworks channels.

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Bleazle,

I get the "Conflict in recordings" when I try to schedule one recording while another one is all ready scheduled. I thought that was because I needed 2 cards to control it. Is it a version thing with MP or is it a setting in TV Server or MP configuration?

Cheers
    Bernard
    Hey Bernard,

Are you using TVServer? if so there is nothing you need to do just go to your guide and try to record TV1 and TV2 at the same time they are on the same transponder. With only one DVB-S card you could not record TV2 and TV3 at the same time they are on different transponders.

@Peroxide:
    I don't have Sky so I can't tell you how to set up the blaster but I believe a number of MP user in NZ have done this setup very successfully it's a shame none of them have taken the time to fill the NZ Specific Wiki Page with instructions on how to do this. I believe you need to use the IRServer Suite?

As for HD do what are your system specs? Freeview HD is very demanding.

Also, why MySQL?

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...I'm off to throw some more RAM and a new DVD Drive into my HTPC then I should probably think about doing some work...

I thought that would be a 30 minute job - man was I wrong :rolleyes: I dropped the RAM and DVD drive into place, gave it a vacuum (she was a bit dusty in there!)
    :eek:

OOOoooooh I read somewhere that you should never poke a vacuum cleaner anywhere near a PC cos they generate massive amounts of static electricity! = Baaad.

I was quite shocked (sorry) to read this as I had been merrily dusting my PCs for years this way. Now just a rag and/or a can of v. expensive compressed air. When my HSF gets totally clogged in dust Ive actually taken it out a couple of times and given it a wash. Nowadays both my PCs have filters (built in on the p180, made from a chopped up pot scrub on the nsk2400) so dust isnt as much of an issue as it used to be. =)

Peroxide

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Peroxide:
    I don't have Sky so I can't tell you how to set up the blaster but I believe a number of MP user in NZ have done this setup very successfully it's a shame none of them have taken the time to fill the NZ Specific Wiki Page with instructions on how to do this. I believe you need to use the IRServer Suite?

As for HD do what are your system specs? Freeview HD is very demanding.

Also, why MySQL?

Hi mcraenz,

I'm using MySQL because I had issues with the installer locking up whilst installing on the one-click installation and was recommended to try using th advanced installer and MySQL in this thread here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...rt-53/problems-installing-media-portal-56685/

IRServer Suite eh? I'll have a look for that and see it I can get it to work, this is now the only thing holding me back from the full switch, as I just setup MPTVSeries last night working perfectly and that is an awesome plugin! It's a shame as you say that no one has made a complete guide to getting this to work in NZ, or anywhere at all really as its one of the areas there seems little documentation; perhaps if I sort it out and am sure of how to do it it could be my contribution to the Wiki.

My basic system specs are:

Intel E6550 2.33mhz Dual
    3gb ram
    Nvidia 8600 GT
    Hauppage PVR 150

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OOOoooooh I read somewhere that you should never poke a vacuum cleaner anywhere near a PC cos they generate massive amounts of static electricity! = Baaad.

I tend to agree although I think if you keep the PSU plugged in for an earth you should be ok.

..perhaps if I sort it out and am sure of how to do it it could be my contribution to the Wiki.

My basic system specs are:

Intel E6550 2.33mhz Dual
    3gb ram
    Nvidia 8600 GT
    Hauppage PVR 150

Yeah you can just register and edit the wiki. Would be great! :D

As you are probably aware your system specs a just fine for Freeview HD.

Peroxide

Portal Member
    March 19, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As you are probably aware your system specs a just fine for Freeview HD.

Yeah, the only system spec stopping me switching to Freeview HD now is my intelligence! :confused:

Alright, most of the way there now.

EPG Working, IRServer recognises my remote entries and can blast my STB using TV3 Blaster Plugin for IRServer, now I just have to get MP to actually change channel when I am in MyTV in Media Portal.

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    **** CONVERTING RECORDED TV ****

Hmmmmmmmm does anyone convert recorded dvb-t to dvd (or anything really)?

I am having issues trying to convert the .ts stream to anything.

Any pointers?

bgbailey

Portal Member
    October 11, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Bernard, Are you using TVServer? if so there is nothing you need to do just go to your guide and try to record TV1 and TV2 at the same time they are on the same transponder. With only one DVB-S card you could not record TV2 and TV3 at the same time they are on different transponders.

I was setting up a recording session and found I didn't get the "Conflict in recordings" error when I set up recordings for TV1/2 at the same time, so thanks I now understand that I can record all TV1/2 based channels at the same time or all TV3 (MediaWorks) at the same time.

If I install a dual tuner card then I can record TV1/2 and TV3 (MediaWorks) channels at the same time?

Cheers
    bernard

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom