Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

Biggles69

Portal Member
April 7, 2008
Nelson
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've read on some other forums that Freeview are now denying that there is a problem with the picture quality, which means we are probably stuck with a sub standard (compare to what it was like) Satellite TV Service.
The quality used to be ok until Mediaworks dropped TV3’s bandwidth so that they could run TV3+1 & TVNZ started “testing other options” & dropped the bandwidth on TV1 / 2 and never increased them again.
So I guess this is the end of good quality free satellite TV.
I see Freeview have updated their website and have a comparison graphic of analog vs digital (what a joke, the digital needs to be all pixilated if it’s a true representation)

shacknasty

Portal Pro
July 14, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
installed for the record today. find that tv is now stuttering slightly. not too bad but definitely not as smooth as it was before.

any ideas?

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
installed for the record today. find that tv is now stuttering slightly. not too bad but definitely not as smooth as it was before.

any ideas?

Best thing to do is to post on the 4TR thread, that's where the experts are. I think you'll find though that 4TR is probably "innocent" in this case because apart from being an advanced scheduler etc it doesn't actually do anything with the recordings, that's still down to TVServer....

Bleazle

Biggles69

Portal Member
April 7, 2008
Nelson
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand

any ideas?

I had the same problem when i tried 4 the record a couple of months ago, is it more cpu intensive? (My HTPC is only a single core amd64 3000)
I gave up & went back to the built in tv server which was running spot on.

meesham

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 15, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

any ideas?

I had the same problem when i tried 4 the record a couple of months ago, is it more cpu intensive? (My HTPC is only a single core amd64 3000)
    I gave up & went back to the built in tv server which was running spot on.

Very strange, I've been using 4TR for a couple of months now and everything plays without stutter. I don't see how 4TR could be causing a problem (but it sounds like it is somehow), it uses the MP TV server to do the recording, and then the MP player to play back the video, 4TR just does the scheduling. I'd follow Bleazle's advice and ask the guys on the 4TR forum, they're very quick to respond.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    The only difference is that For The Record will play back recordings over a UNC file share, where standard MP uses rtsp: streaming.

Don't see why this should be worse (on the contrary even maybe), but perhaps on some network setups...

Other than that it's still TV server that does the actual recording and MediaPortal's builtin player that plays back the recordings. Live TV is even more identical since that's using rtsp: by default just like standard MP.

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is For The Record open source? I wonder if the MP devs would look at taking some (or all) of it in the the main code base?

shacknasty

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i think the issue was client side, i noticed that mediaportal seemed to be using about 50% of cpu and over 500mb of ram while the for the record plugin was active.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Is For The Record open source? I wonder if the MP devs would look at taking some (or all) of it in the the main code base?
    Some parts of For The Record are open source (the MediaPortal TvPlugin replacement and the recorder/tuner for TV server), but the core services are closed-source.

eXDee

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    xmltv.co.nz

Haven't looked into it too much, but this site has the cool advantage of direct downloading using the xmltv plugin. For some reason the plugin wont download from the long query, so i made a short easy to remember tinyurl which does work.
    http://www.tinyurl.com/xmltvnzfreeview
    Simply chuck it in remote in the xmltv grabber and you're away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom