Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (1 Viewer)

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks for that... are you using dvbt or dvbs?
    also.. what's the craic with argus? as in, what does it do for you that MP can't?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    DVB-S.

Argus is a rule based scheduler, i.e. it has a better scheduling system than TVE3 at present. It can sit between MP Client and MP TVE3 if you wish, otherwise you can use it's own TV Engine and just use MP frontend.

I use it as it enables a quick record function, which is much better than the native record of TVE, can do matches for programs on channels easily, and can watch if it all moves around so you still record the right program ( as long as the EPG is up to date).

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks for that.. sounds interesting.
    I'm on dvbt and I suspect that may have different stresses on mp than dvbs (HD vs SD etc). anyone out there using 1.3 on dvbt?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well I am on DVB-S but I'm decoding Sky NZ with all the HD channels so I am stressing the whole shebang with 1080i content. Again, works well :)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    :) I figured that would be the case. I haven't got enough spare time to watch/need Sky but maybe one day I'll get a chance to have a play around with it. Right now I'm having enough problems getting decent recordings (DVB-S). Hopefully the new tuner will sort that out - if it does that will mean that both of my Hauppauge tuners crapped themselves within 2 years... I will "report" back on this in the next week or so.

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks for that.. sounds interesting.
    I'm on dvbt and I suspect that may have different stresses on mp than dvbs (HD vs SD etc). anyone out there using 1.3 on dvbt?
    well it seems to work well on NZ DVBT.
    I like the new features, but am a bit bummed that all the skinning options seem to have a similar font size. it's ok on the 46" in the lounge, but the 28" in the bedroom is more of a struggle to view. there's a lot of screen real estate going to waste on the videos search page, TV guide page and pretty much anywhere I could want to see 'lists' of files.
    I note there's a lot of configurable options on it, but I don't see (other than creating my own skin) where I could adjust the font (and relative background frames)... hoping that black glass gets updated to 1.3 .. it's still my fav skin.

[edit] nm.. black glass nova has an SVN available.. works bewt.. :D

Last edited:

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All

As covered a few pages back I've been having issues with TV Recordings & Live TV for about the last 6 months (video freezes while audio keeps playing then video jumps after 5+ secs (can be much longer) to where the audio is). After trying several different things (new TV tuner, swapped out the PSU, changed the target Recorded TV HDD etc) it looks like the issue lies with the splitter... or does it?

I am running 3 x DVB-S tuners (all Hauppauge Nova-S Plus). If I remove the splitter and test one tuner at a time all 3 tuners work perfectly :) If I add a splitter back into the equation the tuner that is running off the Power Pass (and is set to priority one in TVServer) tunes all channels but the other tuners will only ever tune one channel :mad: and when I stress test the channels I get "card unavailable" errors (as you would expect)

I have tried 3 different splitters - the one that I have been using + 2 others that I had in my "draw of stuff I might need one day.." - I get the same result for all of them. I find it hard to believe that all 3 splitters are faulty... (but I guess they could be..)

So assuming it's not the splitter that's at fault then it must be the signal quality and adding a splitter is degrading the signal just enough to screw things up (?) If that's the case what is the best thing to do/test from here? I guess the LNB could be at fault? If so how would I test that? My dish is the usual Sky TV supplied unit (the one that uses 10750000 etc in the settings). Would I be better off admitting defeat and paying an aerial guy to come and check the signal? :eek:

Back to the splitter - I see that there are a lot on TradeMe that have Power Passes going to all 3 ports - are these OK to use with MP? Are there any advantages or disadvantages with these splitters as opposed to the current splitters I have that only have a Power Pass going to one port?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Bleazle

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    back when I was using DBVS I was told by my aerial guy (who I have every confidence in) that a standard sky dish should be able to drive 5 devices without a problem.

I'm using one of those cheap chinese powered splitters (like ebay has, and prolly the same on tardme) for my DVBT .. they're "ok" although the machining on the F-type connectors seems to be a the low end of the precision scale and it can be a real pain to get the f-type to screw on in way that 'feels' like a good connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom