Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@rocklander: Thanks for the input :) I've had 3 tuners working fine for a long time so really I just need to know if I should get one of the splitters with power passes to all ports (I still don't understand how that can work if all cards are recording at once..) or if I should just get the quality of the signal checked first? As far as I can tell (from my Google searches) there isn't any software that can tell me how good my signal is, which I find hard to believe... but if that's the case then I guess I should call in aerial guy? Or try another splitter first? :confused:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    http://hauppauge-signal-monitor.software.informer.com/

Not sure if it will tell you anything useful other than what you already know which is one of the outputs of the splitter is good, while the other 2 outputs are bad.

Code:
      |
      |
    __+__
    | | |
    | | |
    If it is a simple 3 way splitter rather than a 1into2 and another 1into2 then I guess it should degrade the signal equally.

Code:
      |
      |
    __+_
    |  |
    |  |
    |  +---
    |  |  |
    |  |  |
    If it is a 1into2 -> 1into2 then I think (but not 100% sure) that the 1st split gets 50% strength while the other two will get 25% strength. Also I think you have to add a terminal resistor to any unused splits.

Last edited:

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @kiwijunglist: Cheers for all of the above. Unfortunately the Hauppauge signal monitor doesn't support the Nova-S tuner :cry: . Thanks for the info on the splitters though. I was running a 1 into 3 splitter (but don't know how the split was achieved inside of it) and have recently tried 2 different 1 into 2 splitters but as soon as I introduce a splitter into the equation it all turns to cr@p. Very frustrating, especially since it's been working fine for years :mad: There's nothing to say that those splitters aren't at fault but I that's another thing I find hard to believe... If I get another splitter how can I tell how the split happens on the inside?

Cheers

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yep, priority one card goes to the power pass.... that's why I don't get how a splitter with power passes to all ports can work?

johns11

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ========================================================

MP EVENT INVITATION
    The time has come for the “Calling all MP NZ’ers” annual (nearly) BBQ.

========================================================

Where: Eastern Bays, Auckland

Date: Fri 8th March, 5pm onwards

Come along, share a beer, and catch up with others and what they are working on. Check out MP on a Raspberry PI (Tommy?) or running by voice control (Dave?). Share stories of the highs of finding the one thing that’s been causing all the problems:D, and the lows of crashed hardware and finding that it wasn’t just one thing :cry: .

PM me for full address if you can make it

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If anyone familiar with setting up Freeview Sattelite and tvserver could add to the NZ section if the MP wiki, that would be great.

What is needed is

1. Setting up EPG for Freeview DVB-S (This page has no content yet, could probably be very brief)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/15_Customization/98_Localization/4_By_Country/New_Zealand/EPG_"TV_Guide"_DVB-S//Freeview_Sattelite_Setup

2. Setting up tv-server for Freeview DVB-S (This page is probably out of date)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../New_Zealand/Freeview_Sattelite_(DVB-S)_Setup

You can log into the wiki using your forum login + password. If you have trouble logging in then visit the mediaportal home page and log out + relogin to the homepage, then retry logging in to the wiki (and it should work this second time)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom