Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    re #3851 et seq concerning splitters

I use a multi-switch instead of splitters like this one. It's got 3 inputs, so 1 each for H & V LNB, and one for UHF if you have terrestrial. It's got 4 outputs, so you can connect your 3 cards, and one over for another decoder. Assuming it's like the one I've got, it looks after the power and LNB switching. It uses the switching voltage from the card to cause a connection to the V or H LNB as appropriate. So you can have any combination of cards requesting H or V, and it connects them to the right LNB and sends the right switching voltage. If you only have Freeview, you can just connect the H LNB, otherwise you need 2 LNBs or one that has 2 independent ports. The UHF input is muxed with all the outputs. This is a 3 x 4 switch, mine is 3 x 8, and there are others!

As for signal quality, if you've got MP running, you can tune to a channel, select the context menus and scroll down to number 8 Tuning Details, which has all sorts of data including signal strength and quality.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    re #3851 et seq concerning splitters

I use a multi-switch instead of splitters like this one. It's got 3 inputs, so 1 each for H & V LNB, and one for UHF if you have terrestrial. It's got 4 outputs, so you can connect your 3 cards, and one over for another decoder. Assuming it's like the one I've got, it looks after the power and LNB switching. It uses the switching voltage from the card to cause a connection to the V or H LNB as appropriate. So you can have any combination of cards requesting H or V, and it connects them to the right LNB and sends the right switching voltage. If you only have Freeview, you can just connect the H LNB, otherwise you need 2 LNBs or one that has 2 independent ports. The UHF input is muxed with all the outputs. This is a 3 x 4 switch, mine is 3 x 8, and there are others!

As for signal quality, if you've got MP running, you can tune to a channel, select the context menus and scroll down to number 8 Tuning Details, which has all sorts of data including signal strength and quality.

Thanks for the info (y)

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    interesting. I didn't know those existed. It should make some movies appear "bigger" than they are.

I see MP 1.3 is out. Anyone upgraded? Any problems?

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not on the current topic but am just stoked with my latest ambilight setup in Mediaportal!

Is there ever a "current topic" on this thread? :D Ambilight looks good...

I see MP 1.3 is out. Anyone upgraded? Any problems?
    I installed 1.3 on Saturday morning (on a Server/Client & Client). The upgrade went smoothly. I'm using Argus TV & Avallonis - most of the plugins I use were already "1.3 ready" but I had to hunt for a couple that didn't show up as being compatible on the Extensions Installer.

Apart from the new default skin (which looks OK, if a little garish imho) I haven't noticed any real differences. You get the option of installing the LAV codecs during the install process but I was already running them anyway. I won't be using the colour coded TV guide but I guess it could prove to be popular. Once skins start offering themes the flexibility to customise the look to suit individual tastes should be pretty cool.

I have had a couple of episodes where MP has locked up but in each case it was because Avallonis is missing a few screens or menu options, none of which effect me in my day to day use of MP.

Don't forget to manually stop the TV server before you upgrade, as per the instructions - luckily I read them for once :D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh nice work on the ambilight, and good movie to demo it with.

Would really love to see more info including
    which components you went for
    total cost
    where you bought the hardware

I'm quite keen to build one of these, I've been following the ambilight threads.

Last edited:

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just followed this tutorial online...

http://learn.adafruit.com/adalight-diy-ambient-tv-lighting/overview

I didn't buy the kit from them but you could. Got a 50 LED light setup and Arduino board for about NZ$75 on eBay. Just need to make sure your LED string has LEDs that each have an inbuilt "IC".

Took me about an hour to setup, had to root around for a 5V 2amp power supply.

Masking tape is a temporary and FREE way to attach the lights and worked well.
    http://sdrv.ms/Wxv5KD

I was worried that hardware decoded video wouldn't be registered but it worked fine. For now I have to manually start the "processing" app but there is apparently a way of packaging it up into an exe which I could then maybe start somehow from within MP as I don't think I'd want the lights on all the time.

On my desktop PC with a core 2 duo the lights only managed to "monitor" at 8 frames per second using about 20% CPU. On my i3 HTPC that jumped up to 28 frames per second still with 20% CPU so I was happy with that!

Any other questions just PM me. When I make the setup more permanent I might write it up with photos all along the way.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What size is your TV?

So total cost was $75 for lights & board, plus the cost of a power supply. Did you have to solder anything?

Last edited:

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Mine is a 40inch Sony. Ideally I will solder the 3 cables onto little male "headers" that then plug into the Arduino but for now the bare wires are just "jammed" into the female headers on the board in classic kiwi style :)

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Argh! Don't you just hate it when one of the channels changes a show from something to "All New" something and then MP doesn't record it!!!!

Looks like I need to install the TV Wishlist plugin again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom