Cannot play movies at all when Moving Pictures is enabled! (1 Viewer)

SvW

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Here you go...
    After staring a movie (in this case from shared storage, but same for local storage) media portal hags, and had to kill the task.

thanks in advance!

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can't see anything strange in the logs.. can you backup your movingpictures.db3 (like copy it to desktop) and delete it from database folder, add one movie to MovPic database and see if it plays?
    If it plays there seems some corruption in your old MovPic database.

SvW

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    removed movingpictures database, started over with just 1 movie.
    Now it works fine indeed....

What's the next step? Should I import all movies all over again in this new database?
    I reinstalled mediaportal trying to fix this issue, but after a clean install and a full import it came back, so I'm affraid a whole new movie import will bring back the problem.
    Can i look for specific problems in the database? I can open it with SQLLite Data Browser, but don't know where to look for...

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately I'm also no expert with databases. How much movies you got? Importing one by one to find the file which makes problems is no solution right?

Maybe RoChess or fforde know more?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Open the old DB3 file in an SQLite tool and open each table, if you are unable to open certain tables due to an error, then you have a real database corruption and best coarse of action is to do a full re-import, unless you are an expert to manually rebuild it. The reasons for the corruption could be due to powerloss when things didn't get written into database yet or some other bad failure (also easy to occur when you try to hack together a server+client system setup the wrong way).

If however each table opens file without errors, then technically you should be able to repair the issue, however MovingPictures normally does a lot of checks and self-repair already, so the fact you had issues must indicate something weird has indeed happened. In my experience when I've seen that happen to others (and once to myself) a re-import was still the easiest way to go.

One thing to keep in mind, when you install MovingPictures an auto-backup is made inside a subfolder of the DB3 file, so you might be in luck that you still have some of those older versions available that were created before the corruption occured. In that case you can just put the best backup back and go from there, so you have less issues.

On the other hand it usually takes 1 to 10 seconds *per* movie to reimport depending on the speed of your system and internet connection and the scraper you use. I use IMDb+ myself and it takes about 4 seconds per movie for my own setup, mainly due to all the additional features IMDb+ does for me. This is the total time, as in from the point MovPic detects the media, to storing it in database and adding all the artwork. So on a very large collection it can add up but in reality it is not a very long process to do a re-import.

Most of the time would be wasted to manually approve movies that did not auto-match and to verify that the ones that did auto-approve did so correctly if you only supplied for example a title and multiple versions of that title exists. This is why I personally have started adding the IMDb tt-id (example: tt1234567) to all the filenames of my media, so that a re-import not only goes much faster, but it is also 100% guaranteed to be the right one.

PS: keep in mind that when you do a fresh-import that is might also be a good idea to clean out your artwork folders. Granted MovPic usually ends up re-using artwork if you re-import the same media, but you might over the years have removed some movies from your collection and that artwork would still clutter up the folders. Also if you use a scraper-solution such as IMDb+ then it renames a lot of titles as part of its group/unique-title feature which causes other filenames to be used for the artwork as well.

PPS: Good luck either way :)

SvW

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the effort!

I checked my database (I was able to open all the tables), and started a fresh import. Unfortunately, After the import the problem was back…. ;(

Since the "Automatically Aquire Mediainfor Details from Movies workaround” works fine for me, I stopped searching for the real solution. I think it has something to do with a corrupt movie file or something…

In case anyone is interested in other logfiles or my database trying to find a solution let me know!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I think it has something to do with a corrupt movie file or something…

In case anyone is interested in other logfiles or my database trying to find a solution let me know!

If you can clear your log files and then do a full fresh import and provide all of the log files, it should clearly indicate which file is causing the corruption to occur. Assuming you are interested in fixing the source and not trying to keep making workarounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom