Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise) (2 Viewers)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    AC3Filter and AC3File are two different things. File allows you to play DTS and AC3 files via Directshow (ie. in WMP and MP) where as Filter does many things like decoding, encoding, mixing....

The other option is that your default DTS decoder is not set to SPDIF passthrough.

To debug download graphstudio (32 bit even on 64 bit os). Then click the render media file option and chose one of the DTS files. This will show you what decoder is being used.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

AC3Filter and AC3File are two different things. File allows you to play DTS and AC3 files via Directshow (ie. in WMP and MP) where as Filter does many things like decoding, encoding, mixing....

The other option is that your default DTS decoder is not set to SPDIF passthrough.

To debug download graphstudio (32 bit even on 64 bit os). Then click the render media file option and chose one of the DTS files. This will show you what decoder is being used.

I have alrdy installed AC3Filter and AC3File. Also SAF 5.0 for all other MP sections.

I enabled Passthrough In AC3Filter and SAF 5.0.
    When i use AC3Filter Winamp plugin the files work fine when renamed to .dts. All video Files in MP work with passthrough eben DTS-HD and DD-HD, thats why i rule out any problem related to my Win7 Sound preferences and the ATI Settings.

I dont know really how to make WMP12 use AC3File at all cause theres no config menu for ti o_O.
    And AC3Filter is installed and set up but WMP just doesnt use it.
    When i check the Files with Graphstudio those renamed to .dts play correct. See Screenshot
    But as you see SAF puts itself behind the AC3 Filter so it goes to the Amp as Multichannel. But its fine DTS Sound tho no bitstreaming. But a huge leap forward :) If i delete saf5 in the Graph its even bitperfect as my AMP shows DTS!!!

>>BUT<< still WMP12 uses neither AC3Filter nor any other Decoder for the .wav and .dtswav files so its whitenoise. Plus it wont open .dts files at all, but gives me this Error message

So my 2 Final Problems are making WMP12 use AC3File/Filter and tell SAF not to steal AC3Filters stream.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is a codec issue then... If you check the settings of the first box does this say it is the AC3File filter or a standard File Source Async ?? also if you press the play button in graphstudio do you get whitenoise or DTS?

By default WMP and MP music will use merits for playback and codec choice. Basically each codec has a merit and the highest one that can connect gets used. In videos you actually choose the codec hence this works regardless of merit.

I am not sure why you need or want both AC3Filter and FFDShow setup for audio. Is AC3Filter set to SPDIF output DTS?

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    A lot of users have DTS passthrough issues - that is reason why DTS passthrough is disabled by default in SAF.

Your sample is pure DTS audio, extension must be *.DTS to use AC3File source filter.
    I can play it without any problem, but i dont use passthrough.

There is no reason to have AC3Filter installed, it is old, outdated and it will broke TrueHD playback.

Check your DTS passthrough setting.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

When i press play with the above shown Graphstudio Graph the .dts files play fine, but not as passthorugh. When i delete SAF from the chain its passthrough dts in Graphstudio. When i use SAF alone it works too but its predecoded and not passed through to my amp bitperfect.

The only problem left now is, that neither WMP nor MP uses any one of the 2 Decoders.

I am not sure why you need or want both AC3Filter and FFDShow setup for audio. Is AC3Filter set to SPDIF output DTS?
    I would love to NOT use both, but SAF doesnt play the .dts files passed through so i need ac3filter, and ac3filter cant pass through DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. So i will need both.

And i hardly doubt its a settings problem in any of the 2 Decoders, cause both work fine in Graphstudio and SAF works like a charm for any Movie. Its all about the audio files atm.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Skar:
    Are you sure you enabled DTS passthrough after SAF install? As i wrote DTS passthrough is disabled by default - that is the reason why you have PCM.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Im using SAF for weeks now with movies and its always working correct with pass through to my AMP for any Audio source in the movie: Stereo, Dolby, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby Real HD... also when checking again, right now all the fields are ticked in the "output" section of saf audio setup.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Nope, playing it with Winamp using the AC3filter winamp plugin works fine with my Receiver showing "DTS".
    Also when using Graphstudio and playing it there with AC3Filter it also works.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Remove MP and WMP from this altogether.
    Add an AC3File filter to a blank page in graphstudio. Then add your audio renderer.

Then try different filters and settings in the middle and figure out what is working with passthrough.

Then change the merits of the filters to force this setup in WMP. When it is working in WMP it will work in the WMP player plugin here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom