Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise) (1 Viewer)

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

I've to resample my DTS and Dolby tracks (both 48kHz).
    Because Dolby with 44,1 makes problems I've resample all to DTS @ 44,1.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

In the end, here is what worked for me:

1. Using SAF 5.2 as codec pack in general. All movie formats work like a charm.
    2. As Audio player i use "internat dshow player"
    3. In addition i installed AC3Filter and set it up for spdif pass through for dts files.
    4. Then i disable "uncompressed" in the codecs tab of ffdshow audio decoder config

When i start Graphstudio now with an audio dts file (.dts) it only uses AC3filter and plays the audio files in pass-through mode on my AV Receiver.
    I know its probably not the best way to do it, but its the one doing what i want it too.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Re: AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

In the end, here is what worked for me:

1. Using SAF 5.2 as codec pack in general. All movie formats work like a charm.
    2. As Audio player i use "internat dshow player"
    3. In addition i installed AC3Filter and set it up for spdif pass through for dts files.
    4. Then i disable "uncompressed" in the codecs tab of ffdshow audio decoder config

When i start Graphstudio now with an audio dts file (.dts) it only uses AC3filter and plays the audio files in pass-through mode on my AV Receiver.
    I know its probably not the best way to do it, but its the one doing what i want it too.

SAF6 will play your DTS in WAV without any problem.
    AC3 filter is not capable to play HD audio, but it will load to decode it = no sound.

Skar

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Cant play .wav files with dts sound (only whitenoise)

SAF6 will paly yout DTS in WAV without any problem.
    AC3 filter is not capable to play HD audio, but it will load to decode it = no sound.

I love SAF, but its a problem with the ATI Cards HDMI Output. You somehow cant tell it to leave SAFs output untouched. So the AV amp gets a Signal, and even recognizes it as DTS (as seen on the LCD Display), but I dont hear any Sound.
    Miracolously, with AC3Filter it works. As I said, I know its not a good solution, but it works. And all my DTS and DTS-HD Movies work fine, cause SAF somehow "overrides" AC3Filter.

Again, i dont say this is THE solution, but it might be a solution for someone else as it was for me.

DTS_Lover

March 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey guys,

I've had the same exact problem with having .wav DTS audio files and when played only had white noise as output. Found this forum and tried to combine several things so I get those darn .wav DTS audio files to work.

After about 4 hours of installing/uninstalling codec software and tweaking settings I've finally found the ultimate solution. This is how I worked it out:
    Setting up Haali Media Splitter:
    Nothing special really. Install and default settings are the correct settings.

Setting up AC3Filter + AC3File:
    This is the tricky part. The picture will show my settings and the prove I'm playing a DTS 5.1 audio file.
    Capture.PNG

Setting up mkvmerge:
    This is only a "small" remuxing tool. I'll explain in a second why I needed this little piece of software for my solution.

How are these 4 pieces of software tied together?
    Well to answer this question you need to know how I came to the solution.
    • Rename the .wav's to .dts files
    • Open mkvmerge and "Add" a .dts file into the program. If done correctly you'll see an "A_DTS (ID0, type: audio)" info bar of your audio
    • Click the "Start muxing" button
    • When done correctly you will have a file 12345.dts and a 12345.mka in your source folder.
    Haali is needed to open the .mka file and AC3Filter/AC3File is needed to decode the DTS audio in the file and send it over S/PDIF to your receiver.

Open the .mka file and voila, WMP12 will open this file and will decode it as a DTS audio (see picture above of AC3Filter)!!

For a large amount of .dts files this solution might not be the best solution as mkvmerge will combine several files together into 1 file when several files are added to it's queue.

I hope this helps for those who have this exact same problem as well.

Kind regards and enjoy the music!

DTS_Lover

P.s. GraphStudio outcome:
    Capture2.PNG

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

I'm using SAF 6.09 and I have the same problem.
    My htpc is linked to my AV by hdmi (set passthrough), I don't use Spdif.
    What is the solution with hdmi?

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just putted all waves into an .mka container. Now it runs fine.

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    I just putted all waves into an .mka container. Now it runs fine.

Hi shorty1483,

I have used mkvmerge to put .wav files into .mka files.
    Now, if I play .mka files with mphc, the sound is ok and my AV displays "DTS".
    But in Mediaportal, the files can't be played again. (I added .mka extension in music configuration)
    That means, my system (htpc + AV) works correctly to play DTS files, but not yet Mediaportal .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom