Ceton CableCard TV tuner with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
What do you think the chances are that a plugin could be made to just use the tv portion of windows media center?

It seems that mediaportal won't be able to run it natively, and honesty, if you live in the US there really isn't a better option for tv on a htpc.

SageTV has such a plugin which allows cable cards to work so I'm sure it is possible. Picking up my Ceton InfiniTV in a few weeks and if it doesn't work with Mediaportal+fortherecord then I'm going to have to go with SageTV unfortunately as I'm running multiple clients.

I just did searching for sagetv, as I have heard of it, but never seen it. MAN does it look ugly haha.

To be honest, if I were you I would just used windows media center for the time being. Hopefully someone can make this tuner work one way or another with mediaportal though.

Like I had said, I was using media center for about a year with the ATI DCT card and I was generally happy. It's sluggish in comparison, but mediabrowser is great.

slimmj0k3r

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Does Media Center allow multiple clients, I don't want to be restricted to one TV.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Does Media Center allow multiple clients, I don't want to be restricted to one TV.

Yes, there is a firmware that is going to be released by infinitv, and it is available now for testing.

It will be officially released later.

Guide Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems | Missing Remote

Setup network tuners with Ceton card n - The Green Button

How long ago did you order your card? I want to get myself one, I just don't want to wait months for it.

DiskHead

Portal Member
April 1, 2011
Home Country
I am having the same problem so I started looking into it and I found something odd.

In the class TVCardCollection, method DetectCards there is call as follows:

devices = DsDevice.GetDevicesOfCat(FilterCategory.BDASourceFiltersCategory);

This call should return a list of 4 BDA devices each named "ceton infinittv PCIe " plus a unique identifier.

If I debug TVService.exe it returns an empty list; however, if I debug TestApp.exe I get the 4 ceton tuners.

I hope to look into it more this weekend.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am having the same problem so I started looking into it and I found something odd.

This call should return a list of 4 BDA devices each named "ceton infinittv PCIe " plus a unique identifier.

If I debug TVService.exe it returns an empty list; however, if I debug TestApp.exe I get the 4 ceton tuners.

That is exactly where I hit a brick wall but I didn't realise the test app worked. I will look at the code now and see if I can spot any differences...

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    :) Happy to see some progress here.

Got my card in and it is wonderful. Can't wait for them to release the firmware that enables the sharing. The beta testing for it was closed when I got my card. I heard from the creator of the utility that something will be available in 10 days (that was about 8 days ago).

Also, I remember reading that Ceton caught up on a lot of their back orders. It would make sense that they release the new firmware soon.

DiskHead

Portal Member
    April 1, 2011
    Home Country

That is exactly where I hit a brick wall but I didn't realise the test app worked. I will look at the code now and see if I can spot any differences...

I should mention, in case it has some significance, that when I downloaded the source TestApp wouldn't compile. Here are the changes I made to it to get to compile / run.

Changes to get a successful compile:
    1.) In TestApp\Form1.cs line 52, I changed the line from:
    private readonly TvCardCollection _tvcards = new TvCardCollection();
    to
    private readonly TvCardCollection _tvcards = new TvCardCollection(null);

as there is no defaut constructor.

2.) In testApp\FormATSCChannel.cs, line 52, I commented out the line as ATSCChannel does not have a definition for SymbolRate.

//_channel.SymbolRate = -1;

3.) In TestApp\Form1.cs, line 300 and 420, I removed the first argument as the method StartRecording only takes 1 argument.

4.) I had to add DirectShowLib as a reference in TestApp because it was missing.

Changes to get TestApp to run (without error) to the point where the list of BDA devices is retrieved:
    1.) TvCardCollection, lines 58 and 59 I was getting an exception getting a setting value so I just set the value manually.

Setting setting = layer.GetSetting("delayCardDetect", "0");
    int delayDetect = Convert.ToInt32(setting.Value);

to

//Setting setting = layer.GetSetting("delayCardDetect", "0");
    int delayDetect = 0;

DiskHead

Portal Member
    April 1, 2011
    Home Country
    I figured out the problem.. at least for me, as to why the Ceton tuners don't show up.

It's because I am running a 64bit operating system.

TvService is set specifically to x86 only, while TestApp is set to AnyCPU.

I confirmed this using GraphStudio:

1.) Download the 32bit and the 64bit version of graphstudio here: RadScorpion’s blog » Blog Archive » MONOGRAM GraphStudio 0.3.2.0

2.) Perform these steps, posted by MM earlier, first with 64bit graphstudio (the BDA Sources exist) and then with 32bit graphstudio (the BDA sources do not exist).

1. Download GraphStudio from here.
    2. Run GraphStudio as administrator.
    3. Click "graph" -> "insert filter...".
    4. Select "BDA source filters" in the drop-down box in the top left corner and "all filters" in the field beside it.

I was thinking 64bit users could use CorFlags.exe to change the headers of all the assemblies to allow 64bit but will that break MedialPortal? I assume MediaPortal was forced x86 for a reason?

Some investigation into building MedialPortal TVService as 64bit revealed a ton of DllImports of 32 bit libraries which won't work without alot of work.

I think I will just install the tuner card in an older dual core system that already has Win 7 32bit.

eyelobes

Portal Member
    September 27, 2010
    I really hope we can get this card working, i just don't see the external multiple STBs from our cable companies and a practical option. I am running 7 x64 but i really hope that doesn't end up being a future issue, I'm roting for you guys!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom