Ceton CableCard TV tuner with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I also would like a cablecard solution and this card looks nice.
Is the cause of the restricted channels that the BDA driver is not allowing packets marked as copy protected through?
I'm trying to understand which piece is doing the filtering.

Thanks.

You probably would have to have submitted a tune request for data to start flowing through the graph. I'll definitely take a look tonight though...

It's looking like I am going to have to either deal with using Media Center or purchase a license of SageTV until the day the Ceton InfiniTV tuner (PBDA) is supperted in MediaPortal. I tried a trial of SageTV with mixed results, it works with my tuner with the addition of SageDCT, but the time it takes to tune a channel is super slow, sometimes 30 seconds. It's even worse when trying to watch TV from a machine that is not also the server.

To MediaPortal developers, if you every get around to implementing PBDA support (Copy Freely) in Media Portal send me an email and I will gladly share my system again to aid in development / troubleshooting.

In addition to SageDCT you might want to have a look at DVBE4SAGE (dvbe4sage - DVB Enhancer for SageTV - Google Project Hosting). It also supports these types of cards as well and is open source.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi CodeMonkey

I also would like a cablecard solution and this card looks nice.
    Is the cause of the restricted channels that the BDA driver is not allowing packets marked as copy protected through?
    I'm trying to understand which piece is doing the filtering.
    I've been slowly reading up on PBDA, but I'm still not 100% sure. Right now the roadblock is that the tuners are not even picked up by our device detection code... which relies on the OS. Something about the TV Server project configuration prevents them from being picked up.

mm

shorawitz

September 1, 2011
    Home Country
    I'm not a c# coder, but I play one on TV! :p New forum member looking for an alternative to WMC. I REALLY like what I see in MP and have all ready been down the myth path. It would be nice to play in the native driver land for while and be able to use a cable card solution w/Fios.

I saw a blog post of someone who has gotten this card to work w/MythTV. Would it help to see his patch to get this card to work there? Here's the link to the post:

Working with MythTV: Ceton InifiniTV 4 in MythTV 0.24 - Part 1

Hope it helps. I'm saving my pennies to buy one of these beauties (if it will work!)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome shorawitz :)

Thanks for the link. Myth is a very different environment to Windows/BDA. I guess the content protection is all in the drivers...

shorawitz

September 1, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi and welcome shorawitz :)

Thanks for the link. Myth is a very different environment to Windows/BDA. I guess the content protection is all in the drivers...

I figured it was a peach to MP's orange. Was hoping their work-around would give a clue as to which way to go.

I thought I had read the whole thread, but I must have missed something. Is the present issue merely copy protection or is the card not even functional w/MP? I had heard on another forum that Verizon was leaving it up to the content provider to add the cp and they were just passing along the content. If not, then I need to consider a different config for my next-gen PVR Media Center.

Thanks for the info! Keep up the good work!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

You are correct. At present TV Server doesn't even find the tuners... which is obviously a big problem, and quite hard to resolve when I don't own such a device. I have a similar sort of problem with a tuner that I do own and I've spent hours upon hours already looking into what the problem might be and thinking of various ways to eliminate causes. Nothing I've tried has worked yet but my suspicion is there is something particular about our project settings, dependencies, or the fact that TV Server runs as a service that is causing issues. When I pull my code for this particular tuner into a new project with default settings it works fine. Problems like this are sometimes *really* difficult to resolve. If I can get to the bottom of the issue with the other tuner then I will come back here and ask somebody to check if my fix resolves the Ceton issue. Until then, there is nothing more that I can do...

mm

st0rmcat

April 11, 2012
    Home Country
    SUCCESS!! Got a good block of time tonight to work on InfiniTV4 support in TVServer, and it paid off.

Right now there is so much left to do, but the card is recognized, I can map channels to it, and I can preview the channels as shown below:

MediaPortalCeton.png

I really need to sleep, but I will come back soon to post more details on my progress.

- Craig

eyelobes

Portal Member
    September 27, 2010
    awesome work, the ceton cards are down to $200 on newegg too, this is making me want to build another HTPC now that I can fully take advantage of Comcast!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted!

tparks99

February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    I have been waiting on this for a long time now!! I'm SOOO ready to ditch Windows Media Center!! Can't wait to hear more about your success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom