Changing from MySQL to MariaDB (5 Viewers)

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    From Jira it looks like MP1 will be transitioning to MariaDB in the future so, I've been experimenting a little with this. Not on my actual server but I exported my mptvdb database and then re-imported it into a clean MariaDB mptvdb database. It seems that everything looks good. MySQL Workbench ver 8.0 seems to work fine with it too. I have a new PC coming this week that I'll configure as my new server and I'm thinking to install MP with MariaDB 10.4.15. Are there any issues that I might need to look out for? Is there a good way to do it so that I can revert back to MySQL without any problems? Appreciate any guidance.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    From Jira it looks like MP1 will be transitioning to MariaDB in the future so, I've been experimenting a little with this. Not on my actual server but I exported my mptvdb database and then re-imported it into a clean MariaDB mptvdb database. It seems that everything looks good. MySQL Workbench ver 8.0 seems to work fine with it too. I have a new PC coming this week that I'll configure as my new server and I'm thinking to install MP with MariaDB 10.4.15. Are there any issues that I might need to look out for? Is there a good way to do it so that I can revert back to MySQL without any problems? Appreciate any guidance.
    nop i use it since year now, without problem

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just asking for some advice:
    To test MariaDB, what steps do I have to do?
    Will it have impact on the DBs like video, pictures etc. ?
    THX in advance ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    To test MariaDB, what steps do I have to do?
    You need to uninstall or at least stop TV server then uninstall MySQL. This is necessary as MySQL and MariaDB both are using the same port. Then install MariaDB, install the TVServer or make it to reconfigure the database setup. Now you need to reconfigure the TV setup or re- import the old settings to use the new DB engine. That's all.

Will it have impact on the DBs like video, pictures etc. ?
    No, not at all. Those are SQlite databases and have nothing to do with the database used by the TV server...

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    Just an update
    I used MySQL Workbench for importing and export the tables... pretty much went like this:

1. Stop the TVService
    2. Export MySQL table "mptvdb"
    3. Set MySQL service to manual or disabled
    4. Install MariaDB (I used ver. 10.4.15 with the same settings as MySQL, root, password, Port 3306)
    5. Import the previously exported "mptvdb" table

At this point, I tried to start the TVService but the service had a dependency on MySQL. I had to change it in the registry here:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TVService]
    Edit "DependOnService" by replacing MySQL with MariaDB (mine actually said MySQL56)

5. Restarted PC and everything came up fine.

So, did anyone else run into the dependency issue? @azzuro @Lehmden @catavolt
    I guess if I had uninstalled and reinstalled the TV Server I would have avoided this issue?

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    During the export/import of the TV DB I found that important data aren´t saved and therefore not imported ;)
    Missing important data are all recording/timeshift settings, especially the used folders and the amount and size of timeshift files.
    I think these important data should be part of the export file ;)
    @azzuro Should I open a new thread for this?

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    Home Country
    I also ran into an issue. I can't run TV Configuration because when it starts it looks for the service MySQL56 and in the process of looking, it resets my dependency to MySQL56. I cannot find a way around this part so, I had to revert back for the time being. :(

I could probably rename the MariaDB service to MySQL56 but that just seems like asking for future trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom