Client configuration settings

Discussion in 'Installation, configuration support' started by Anthony Vaughan, December 28, 2015.

1. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Anthony Vaughan MP Donator

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Is it possible to copy the configuration of one client machine to another client machine - I want to copy my file shares etc.?

I guess these are stored in one or more configuration files.

Tony

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Tony

The answer to your question is yes. Most MP config (not including plugin config) is stored in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml. Note that Windows usually hides ProgramData. To find it, it's easiest to copy + paste the path into the address bar in Windows Explorer.

Also note there are other things such as databases and thumbnails that you could copy over. They're all in that c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal folder.

You may find it worthwhile to read this:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/20_Reference/Folders_and_Files

4. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thanks mm.

I'll give that a go.

Tony

5. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi mm

I have been successful in sharing my configurations between machines in respect of MediaPortal.xml as per your suggestion.

I am having less luck, however, sharing my remote control settings - I am using the HID option/tab for my mappings. I had assumed that the settings are stored in keymap.xml but my changes don't seem to be taking effect. Are there any other files that are updated when remote device settings are changed?

Thanks.

Tony

6. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    HID changes are stored in
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\Generic-HID.xml

7. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi mm

Sorry about the delay getting back to you, but I've had a really weird thing happen since a Windows 10 update that was rather like a service pack, but they didn't call it that.

I had to reinstall the operating system on one of my machines, a SurfacePro 3 that is my Email client, and when I installed the 1.13.0 MP client, MP runs in the taskbar, no matter what I do with the configuration.

When I used WatchDog, MP didn't appear but I did get a log which I've attached.

I hope this helps you work out what is going on.

I have done quite a bit of work on storing the config and databases, including the Generic-HID.xml settings, on the MP server and four clients are working fine, except for this machine.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

8. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I think the above issue is so unusual, that I thought I had better add some more information.

When I run MP on this machine, it runs in the Taskbar and cannot be maximized. I really mean that it runs in totality in the Taskbar, it runs video etc..

I've attached an image so you can see what I mean. This is really bizarre. I've installed MP client on several machines without a hint of a problem, but after I reinstalled Windows 10 on this machine, and installed MP in exactly the same way I did on the other machines, this happened.

My problems started after the Windows update, Windows 10 Version 1511. Apart from this issue, the same windows update on my MP Server machine has caused issues loading SQL Server on windows start-up. The new windows version seems to have caused some major performance issues that I am trying to track down. I suspect that the performance problems may be related to the introduction of some new apps, one being a link to Skype that keeps causing event viewer errors. I'll know more when I've had more time to see what happens when I uninstall some of the offending apps.

Tony

Attached Files:

• MP.png
      MP.png
      File size:
      589.7 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 1, 2016
      Views:
  9. doskabouter
    • Premium Supporter

doskabouter Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 1
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    If you open the mediaportal.log you'll see:
    [2015-12-31 22:13:31,771] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - Main: MediaPortal is already running
    I think best to try again after closing MP from the taskbar if that's possible or if not, killing it from the taskmanager.

10. Anthony Vaughan
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +44 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Okay. Sorry about that. I've rebooted the machine and immediately ran the WatchDog process again.

Once again, the program hung and I had to close MediaPortal for WatchDog to finish - MediaPortal was 'not responding'.

Does this log suggest anything else? I've uninstalled and reinstalled MP three times and the same thing keeps happening.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

11. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    What do you mean by "the program hung"? There is no sign of it in the MediaPortal log, which stops at 19:31:13.However, some program path is not accessible:

I recall a Titan hard-coded path, which, although redirected to a server, is still searched on the client standard path. Check if the respective path exists.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!