Discussion: Find and Download Subtitles (4 Viewers)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you know already how the subtitles will finally get rendered? Does the xy-Subfilter does this alone during video decoding (DXVA?) or do we need to draw the subs onto the video frame as we do for DVB subtitles?
    @offbyone Could you check this?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I got subtitles shown by simply adding xy-subfilter to the graph :) So no need to render them manually.

The filter sits between the video decoder and our evr presenter. This has the potential for breaking dxva, but I didn't notice and slow playback (but I don't have slow hardware). I am unsure how to exactly test if dxva is still used during playback.

If we have the dxva problem, I think we can use the newer version of the filter which has extra interfaces/methods to get the rendered subtitle so we can present it outself.But that needs changes to our presenter if I'm not mistaken.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry if I asked this already, but is there a branch for your change?

If the subtitle filter just works over auto connect feature once it is placed in graph, we should implement this in a more generic way: There were already request to support other DirectShow filters i.e. for postprocessing.

We could extend the video player settings with some kind of structure to define filters to be placed in graph like a dictionary (player type, list of filters):
    XML:
    <AutoLoadFilters>
      <Key>VideoPlayer</Key>
      <Value>
        <Filters>
          <Filter Enabled="false" CLSID="xxxx-xxx--" FileName="xy-subfilter.dll" /> <!-- contained as default binary -->
          <Filter Enabled="true" CLSID="xxxx-xxx--" FileName="filtername.dll" />
          <Filter Enabled="true" CLSID="xxxx-xxx--" /> <!-- like ffdshow post processor -->
        </Filters>
      </Value>
    </AutoLoadFilters>

This would bring big flexibility. What do you think?

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hadn't pushed my local branch yet, as it still needs some changes (the question of how to configure).
    Here is the wip now:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/tree/FEAT_Subtitles_in_VideoPlayer

I am not sure about the generic autoload filter. Subtitles is a unique topic and I'd like to have it explicitly handled UI and implementation wise. With my branch we would supply a specific subtitle filter with MP2 and use it by default. We can still make a config option to not use it ;) but there will be more config options once we decide to include it ;)

One open thing is the problem of loading external subtitle files names like the playing file. Since the only thing the player gets is one MediaItem, I guess we would need a way to find files next to it or import them to start with as subtitle aspect?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One open thing is the problem of loading external subtitle files names like the playing file. Since the only thing the player gets is one MediaItem, I guess we would need a way to find files next to it or import them to start with as subtitle aspect?
    We should start with local stored subs. We can access the "filesystem" and check for name pattern. How do we tell the xy-vsfilter the external filename to use? I think there must be a configuration interface?

Have you tested if the filter implements IAMStreamSelect to allow switching (subtitle) streams? It should be already available for selection from OSD-subtitle button then (VideoPlayer asks all filters for stream selection capabilities).

Will be back in evening

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Hello @offbyone,

should it work with external subs? I tested the latest MP2 snapshot and internal subs are working, but I couldn't get it working with external .srt files...
    Unfortunately the majority of my videos has external subtitles :(

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No external subtitle files will currently not work with MP2. This would be a next step, to define/discuss how and when these could be loaded.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    OK. Thanks for the replay! Are there any plans in the near feature to start the discussion? :rolleyes: For me its a must have... with working external subs i could even consider jumping ship from MP1 to MP2 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom