Discussion: Find and Download Subtitles (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We need to check how this filter behaves in derived players: like TsVideoPlayer (TsReader) uses DvbSub3 for rendering subs. Same for DVD, BD.

So if it conflicts with any specialized player, we should add a field to enable/disable subfilter loading.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found the setting "EnableSubtitles" on the VideoSettings class, but it is currently only shown for the DVPlayer in the Configuration Screen.
    I wanted to use this to control if subtitle filter should be loaded or not when building the graph.
    Funny thing is that the same setting is later used in the VideoPlayer for the ISubtitlePlayer implementation ;)

Should we put the subtitle settings more global, meaning in the players category directly? Or do we need the same subtitle settings (enabled, default lang) for each player separately?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    About that :
    Could be nice to implement a good way of subtitle support. Video render needs to support it so DXVA can be used, it seems xy-VSFilter has an interface for that
    MPC-HC has already code for the subtitle consumer part, so it wont be too dificult for MP2 EVR renderer to be modified (Hopping :) )

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have currently no plans on this topic. For me personally this is not an important topic for nearest future. There are much more important features like plugin/extension handling which is unfinished and nobody cares about it :(

But I take and review patches from other devs :)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OT:
    Large parts of the extension handling code were done by a different user. There's quite a bit of refactoring in it and it is a lot of code to go through and understand before one can even see what needs to be done. You cannot expect anyone to happily jump onto a task like that. It is much easier to start fresh with small problem/bug/missing feature. Most of us only have limited time, so working on smaller tasks is much preferred. I knew from the beginning that an undertaking of that magnitude had the danger of never being finished when the dev gets caught up in real life again.

Even if you think of plugin handling as an important feature, and personally don't have any use for subtitles - I would still call it important to enable MP2 to display subtitles out of the box. Many countries do not dub the audio and simply leave the original audio with subs in the country's language. Then we also have hearing impaired people that are forced to read dialog. Another thing are movies with foreign parts spoken in foreign language where forced subtitles need to be shown. So IMHO subtitles out of the box is more important than e.g. Lastest Media and Right to Left support ;) As you can see, every dev has a different view on what is "important". Which is fine - but I was hoping to still be able to ask questions how to implement something and get an answer before I go ahead and implement it the way I think it should be done and afterwards get opinions that it should be done differently - very frustrating.

Back to Topic:
    This thread started out with finding subtitles and since we discovered that MP2 does not yet handle subtitles out of the box, I started to implemented that part first by including the xy-SubFilter.
    You shared concerns about BluRay,DVD,TS Players (which I mentioned should not be a problem).
    Then I asked a question:
    Should we put the subtitle settings more global, meaning in the players category directly? Or do we need the same subtitle settings (enabled, default lang) for each player separately?

And then the topic froze :(
    Whom if not the lead dev should I expect to answer, because you are the one that will decide if my code goes to master or not?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First, I didn't know (or remembered) that there was an open question. Also being in few days of vacation with trying not to think about coding didn't help in this question. And honestly, where the setting is put in the end doesn't influence the implementation so much.

I think one setting for subtitle handling is enough, we should now overload configuration too much.

Do you know already how the subtitles will finally get rendered? Does the xy-Subfilter does this alone during video decoding (DXVA?) or do we need to draw the subs onto the video frame as we do for DVB subtitles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom