[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (3 Viewers)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Found something weird when using Arduino 1.0.6 to build the WS2812B sketch,
    Weird, 1.0.6 + FastLED3 is working fine here with my LEDs. But that's with a Leonardo and not with an Uno (Leonardo has slightly more memory)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Might be something with rPI + Arduino setup as that needs a very high baud rate (460800), it popped up all of a sudden after I upgraded it to 1.0.6.
    Not sure what changed in this version as there is no mention of it in the change log, did some testing and only works with a baud rate of 230400 before the buffer size changes.

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since my HDMI->Composite device died recently ordered the Lightberry Premium kit to find out if it allowed 24hz and because the price difference was around 30 euros compared to my previous converter, will let you guys know what I find when it arrives this week :)
    Their stk1160 chip should give problems (lots of reports on Hyperion board) but internally I should be able to swap it out for my current Fushicai UT007 stick.

/edit: arrived a bit sooner by DPD, hooked up and Nvidia Control Center is only showing 50/60hz as an option so 24hz is definitely a no-go with this kit as well.
    Still a nice all in one package none the less :) , will have to do some testing and see if this stk1160 chip is working good.

/edit2: lots of frame errors with the stk1160 so connected the Fushicai UT007 to the Composite out instead and gone were the errors, think the Lightberry guys need to update their package as this as a whole would give problems and not really suited for plug and play imo.

Last edited:

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    I have a problem with my Arduino Uno, WS2812B LEDs strip and Raspberry Pi (even if I prefer use Windows HTPC but Hyperion doesn't seem to be compatible).
    My first problem : when I power on Arduino Uno, sometimes only half of LEDs power on. Perhaps a hardware problem, I'll look at it.
    My big problem is Hyperion. When the first problem is not present, my LEDs strip power on and Red, Green and Blue appears but after that, LEDs seems to be illuminated like a rainbow and if I launch a video, this rainbow stays and colors don't correspond to video.
    I've used all elements described on first page but without success. When I launch Hyperion test (like illuminate all LEDs in red), it doesn't work. I have checked my Hyperion config file and all seems to be OK.
    Is this problem could be the buffer size like described on previous page ?
    Thanks if anyone can help me !

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My first problem : when I power on Arduino Uno, sometimes only half of LEDs power on. Perhaps a hardware problem, I'll look at it.
    My big problem is Hyperion. When the first problem is not present, my LEDs strip power on and Red, Green and Blue appears but after that, LEDs seems to be illuminated like a rainbow and if I launch a video, this rainbow stays and colors don't correspond to video.
    I've used all elements described on first page but without success. When I launch Hyperion test (like illuminate all LEDs in red), it doesn't work. I have checked my Hyperion config file and all seems to be OK.
    Is this problem could be the buffer size like described on previous page ?
    Thanks if anyone can help me !

That does sound very similar to my buffer size problem from before, the fix is easy enough but it requires changing some Arduino program files and afterwards applying the sketch again with the Arduino Uno (256 Serial Buffer) device selected like described here:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-serial-buffer-size

Before those changes if I started it without Hyperion/rPi powered on the Arduino would boot up like usual (red/green/blue start up sequence) and afterwards remain off, once Hyperion was started it would mess up the commands send to the Arduino resulting in the LSD effect.
    If the buffer size doesn't fix it you could try the FastSPI test sketches to rule out any connection issues.

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok thanks, I'll try it later.
    And what about baud rate ? Do you let it to 460800 or change it to 230400 ?

Edit : I'm also using OpenElec but is it important ? Is it necessary to use RaspBMC ?

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Only tested with 460800 but it really depends on the total led count as well so lower might work (more leds == higher baud rate), OpenElec is recommended as that is the one I used in the guide :)

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok thanks :) I have 176 LEDs so I let 460800.
    Another question : how do you know /dev/ttyACM0 with lsusb command ? For me it lists ID Bus and Port but not /dev/ttyACM0. I think it's /dev/ttyACM0 but I'm not sure.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Normally Linux assigns the first COM device to that which should be correct especially since the the Raspberry hasn't got a lot of devices connected which use that, there might be a better way to find out the exact address via a different shell command but haven't found one yet :)
    Using lsusb to find out if it's connected/supported and listing /dev/ directory is your safest bet.

It can also be /dev/ttyACM1 /dev/ttyACM2 and so one but should always start with /dev/ttyACM afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom