[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (1 Viewer)

NicCo

Portal Member
February 24, 2014
Home Country
France France
I've measured both, while were all on and all off but I'll made new tests saturday or sunday, I'll have more time

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know if it's a data wire problem, a data send problem, a power supply problem or a hardware problem
    Hardware is probably hardest to test.
    I've had issues with blowing up the WS2812B from the start, which was related to ground. My casing is from metal, and that seemed to cause issues. First used duct tape, and 'glued' the LED strips on that, which fixed the problem.
    Then i was having issues with the colors, even though i also had 5V on the entire line. I've hooked up +5V on every strip, which helped a lot.
    The last thing i changed was my Data line. This was about 1.2 meter from the first LED in the beginning, and when i reduced that size to about 20/30 cm. all the problems were solved.
    So long story short:
    - Try to shorten your data line
    - Add multple +5V lines to your LEDs (4 (for every side 1) would be best to test/rule out other issues).

Last edited:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1316595744_clarkson-power.jpg

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for advises :)
    I don't think it's a ground problem, so I'll add a 5V at the end at least and perhaps to every strip. Also if it doesn't work, I'll try to change data wire between every strip (my data wire is about 10/15cm from the first LED). And if it doesn't work anymore, I'll go to buy new hands :D
    I'll try to look at this at the end of the week and I'll let you know my result.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just a FYI to everyone using OpenElec to build the Hyperion setup, in its latest version which is 5.0 at the moment Hyperion doesn't work so best to stick with 4.2 for the time being.
    Updated first post to reflect that and once the Hyperion developers update their package I'll let you guys know.

Thanks @Lightning303 for testing it under 5.0 and debugging :)

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Could you give me examples problem ? I don't think it's related to my LEDs problem but it's to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom