[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (3 Viewers)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Not yet :( , does like an power problem in your case or wiring.
    Did you try connecting the "faulty" right strip while leaving the rest disconnected?

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    No :( I don't have the time today, I'll try tomorrow or sunday but I'll tell you it's sure ;)

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    So I've added a power supply connector at the end of all stripes.
    Firsts starts were not OK, same problem than previous, all LEDs on orange line didn't power on... I've restarted 3 or 4 times, and all LEDs were red, green, blue then rainbow. The OpenELEC, menu is OK with good colors (I can't disable ambilight when I'm on the menu, even after changed config file but it's another problem).
    I've launched 4 videos test for RGB and I don't have any problem with colors for the moment, so perhaps problem it's solved :) I'll try again later, I'll reboot all elements to be sure it's OK then I'll launch video test again. I'll tell you.
    P.S. : If the next time it will not work I'll not understand, because if now it's works there is no defective part on my strip ?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Might be issue with wiring or power still, if you set it to pure white and off a few times (~2s in between) will it remain working?
    For Kodi you need to enable the remote/http interface via their system menu and set it to allow remote machines so that could fix that problem btw :)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So i build this system for a friend of mine. I ran into some problems but with the help of @Rick164 we got it to work :).
    However i wanted to give some infos on what i found out building this.

First we triend OpenElec 5.0, as it is the newest version. However we were not able to start Hyperion even. Maybe i just fudge something up along the way, or its just not working out of the box, a linux pro can probably get it to work in no time. Still, we downgraded to OpenElec 4.2 and all went smooth from there. So atm dont use 5.0 is my advice.

Then we had problems with the arduino. We bought a arduino nano clone from ebay with a CH430 usb to serial chip. And oh wonder, it cant support baud rates higher than 115200. With 233 leds, thats of course not enough. I had a look at the original arduino nano which uses a ftdi usb to serial chip, but even that one cant do more than 115200 baud. Some more digging and datasheet reading. If you want to use lots of leds with an arduino in this setup, use a board which either has a dedicated atmega8/16u4 chip for usb communication (e.g. Uno) or use a board that uses an atmega32u4 as its main controller (e.g. Leonardo, micro pro clones), as these support up to 1M baud.

Problems with flickering? Try lower the smoothing frequency and lower the framegrabber frequency.

A big thanks to @Rick164, because without his help i would not have been able to get this to work this quickly :).

DaGrizzly

Portal Member
    October 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So here i go...

After trying to install hyperion on my new Raspberry A+ and some compatibility problems (a+ doesn't startwith every distribution) my hyperion is running still fine.

I set it up with OpenELEC, a Fushicai-Grabber and a WS2812B Stripe at an Arduino UNO.

After increasing the baud from 115200 up to 460800 baud for my 158 LEDs the Arduino stopped working correct.
    Some tests with the baud showed same results Lightning303 explained.
    My brother gave me an BTE14-04 UNO (China copy of a Arduino UNO).
    This one couldn't handle with a higher baud than the 115200.
    For use it with Win8.1 i needed a CH430 driver from a russian guy :D

short and quick:
    Tryed it with an original Arduino UNO Rev.3 and it worked still fine.
    I shrinked my setup to 740 MB but didn't find a flashdrive to get it on to make a .ISO for an upload.

hyperion is running still fine since thursday last week - just have to correct the white part of the leds an the smoothing next time.

if interested i can upload my setup

Greetz
    Grizzly

NicCo

Portal Member
    February 24, 2014
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    Do you use Arduino Uno and Hyperion with Windows 8.1 ? Could you tell us how do you do and what have you installed ?
    Thanks !

DaGrizzly

Portal Member
    October 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey NiCco,

I use it for programming, not with an amblight for mediaportal :D

You need the driver from:
    http://arduino-project.net/driver-ch340g/

Next to the "devices" picture is the marked word as link to the driver.

Just download the ZIP, connect the BTE14-04 with your Computer. Win8.1 will find the driver to install.

Now the BTE14-04 is recognized as an Arduino UNO.

Greetz
    Grizzly

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since AtmoLight 1.15 we added the ability to use the hostname or mDNS hostname of your Raspberry Pi device, the mDNS hostname means that locally your machine can always be reached without having to setup any static IP address or any router config.
    On Windows it requires you to have Apple Bonjour installed:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999

Make sure to disable any Apple software update junk during install as you don't need that if you're only using Bonjour, prevents you from getting update notifications which can be annoying on HTPC machines.

Your mDNS hostname is always formatted with your device hostname like this:

<hostname>.local

For instance your mDNS hostname by default on OpenElec is called "Openelec.local" as its hostname is OpenElec, once the IP for the hostname changes AtmoLight will automatically resolve the new one.
    Screenshot of AtmoLight setup with OpenElec + its default mDNS hostname:

Hyperion_mDNS.PNG

This is now also listed under Step 3 of the guide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom