[DIY] Amblight project/guide - Hyperion - WS2801/ WS2812B / APA102 (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Make sure to disable any Apple software update junk during install as you don't need that if you're only using Bonjour, prevents you from getting update notifications which can be annoying on HTPC machines.
    (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) :D

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here is the HDMItoCVBS I use for my Hyperion Standalone Ambilight
    HDMItoAV.jpg
    • The Green PCB produce the blue screen when no signal
    • Can do 24p
    HDMItoCVBS.BLUESCREEN.JPG P1070028.JPG
    • The Blue PCB produce the Color Pattern when no signal
    • Can do 24p
    HDMItoCVBS.COLOR.PATTERN.SCREEN.JPG

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey. I am now in a position with some free time and free funds and want to get back to setting up ambi-light. I never really understood the difference between using a Pi + Arduino or just the Arduino as I think I saw other people doing.

Right now I really only need to have this working with MePo when watching movies etc. I already have the Rev3 official Arduino Uno board. Do I actually need the Pi B+ as well or not?

Also, where is a good place for someone in the UK to buy the higher density strips? I see loads on Ebay but I worry they are the knock off ones?

Thanks!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you want to use Hyperion you will need the rPI as that requires Linux, for Arduino alone there's AtmoDuino which works with AtmoWin.
    Both solutions work well however one the upsides to Hyperion is that its external and can be controlled by more than one software solution, no need to install additional Windows software like AtmoWin and you can even use it with Kodi or the Hyperion apps like the Android remote.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I'm guessing using two individual power supplies is possible to power the LEDs? I'm going to use a little under 4 metres to get around my TV and @ 3.5A/M that's 14A plus the power to the Pi and Arduino. I'm really struggling to find a laptop style power supply to feed that. I'd rather not have the big exposed PSU type bricks sitting on the back of the TV..

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    One power supply of 10A should be sufficient to drive that, the led specs say you need more however in practice you don't need that.
    Using 7A myself to drive ~ 4.5mtr which is already very bright, you will have to connect one power supply at both ends as otherwise you won't have enough to reach all the leds properly at least that was the case with WS2812B type.

It's possible to use 2 however you might get some interference I believe due to them not being entirely identical.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Cool. So I ordered 4M of the 60LED/M strips / few connectors / rPi & Case / 10A Supply. Got them from Kiwi as I realized it's within the EU so no extra tax charges to import. Busy weekend coming up. Sure I will be back with questions before long! Just need to find an Uno case on ebay now.

Thanks

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    between the power supply and led 5v
    Correction! There goes an capacitor of 1000µF between de power supply & led 5v. There goes an resistor between the dataconnections of the device & led, but... most strips have those already soldered onto them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom