[DIY] AtmoOrb - A Hue like mood lamp based on Arduino, ESP8266 wifi module and WS2812B rgb leds (1 Viewer)

daaf84

Portal Member
October 6, 2016
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I solved it, I think some libraries were interfering each other. I tried it on a other PC with a free install, And now it all works! :D Me so happy!! Thanks a lot.

Just one question: I now work wit NeoPixels, but I have some WS2801 here, where do i put the Clock pin? Just om GPIO2? Do I need to set something else?

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great,
    dont know, havnt tried any SPI chipsets yet. Havnt done anthing with esp or leds in the last month in general. Last i checked hardware spi wasnt implemented into fastled, so you would need to use software spi, and then it shouldnt matter what pin.

daaf84

Portal Member
    October 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm gonna try this tonigh.
    The resetting was also due some floating pins. I've pulled them up and used a decoupler capacitor between gnd and vcc. This solved it.

Is it ok with you if I make a tutorial for this on instructables? Of course I mention you and this thread.

daaf84

Portal Member
    October 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, that's weird... Yesterday I changed just the color correction in de sketch and uploaded it. Hardware didn't change.
    But nothing is happening again. What is is happening is that is connecting to the WIFI.
    Restarted hyperion, but nothing is happening again.... Very frustrating.

Do I need some special router settings? I don't quite understand the multicast protocol. My home network is on 192.168.2.***
    And the multicast is on 239.15.18.2 Set on Hyperion and the ESP.

Maybe a stupid question, but don't I need a 'Bridge' device like Hue?

Is the a way I can see Hyperion spits out the data for the ESPlight?

EDIT:
    I've used the windows Color control app for testing the atmoOrb. The light is responding instantly, so the hardware and sketch on the ESP are ok.
    There must be a problem with the RBPi of hyperion.config.json.
    While I was trying this, I had connection for a short while; I was able to play effects and change colors by using the Hyperion App.
    But it was not grabbing colors from my screen. Screen grabber was not in the config file at that time, so that make's sense. After I added it in again, no lights at all with hyperion.
    But, still responding to the windows Color control App.

I use two configs: 1 for my backlight, directly connected to the RBPi with WS2801 leds and the other config for the Atmolight.
    I Stopped the hyperion service and tried to just start the atmolight config. But that didn't worked out as well.
    So frustrating, it's so random.... When it's working, I don't know why it's working and vice versa.
    The RBPi is connected by LAN, btw.

Someone some thoughts?

Last edited:

daaf84

Portal Member
    October 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have red about qt5? OSMC seems to have it's own version of that, or that is what I understand about it.
    I want this great project to work...

tänzerich

Portal Member
    February 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi, jetzt sind ESP8266 ESP-01 AP+STA WIFI Module und CP 2102 USB to TTL Nodule aus Cina eingetroffen.
    In der Zwischenzeit hab ich festgestellt dass zwar eines meiner alten ESP8266 defekt ist aber leider komme ich auch mit den neuen zu keinem Erfolg.
    Den ESP8266 als Board kann ich zwar mit Arduino 1.6.11 beschreiben aber in Verbindung mit dem Leonardo und Sketch:
    // AtmoOrb by Lightning303
    //
    // Developed for:
    // "Arduino" Micro Pro
    // ESP8266 Module Version 02
    // Firmware Version: 0018000902-AI03 (AT 0.18 & SDK 0.9.2)
    //
    und dem GPIO0 auf GND geht nichts.

Gibts vielleicht noch einen Tipp wie ich das zum Laufen bringe.
    Danke Erich

tänzerich

Portal Member
    February 21, 2013
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Fast genau zum Jahrestag kommt meine Erfolgsmeldung:
    Mit diesem Sketch:
    // AtmoOrb by Lightning303 & Rick164
    //
    // ESP8266 Standalone Version

und dem USB-Seriell UART Adapter incl. dem Programmiertaster
    hat alles funktioniert.

USB-Seriell UART Adapter.png

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey @Lightning303, I just thought I’d let you know after setting up my tv with atmowin and an arduino/ws2812 pair almost 12 months ago I thought I’d give this lamp project a go.

After weeks of trial and error (mainly with the firmware), I now have a standalone esp8266 setup working.

I’d just like to thank you and everyone that helped get this project working, it’s amazing what you guys can accomplish.

One question. If you or anybody is still using this I’m curious about your smoothing etc settings. I’ll post more details about my own setup soon but I thought I might save some testing time by querying you guys a bit.

I have to say though after an atmowin tv setup and now a lamp........what to do next???

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom