[DIY] Selfmade AmbiLight using LED Strings (1 Viewer)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So, you are afraid that you see the frame? Yeah, could be a problem.
    My mother has a Samsung f6500, and its very nice and flat on the back, maybe led strips would be better. Also it seems that a frame might not even work with this type of tv. Never thought about that... Have a look at this picture:

View attachment 145510

At the bottom where the stand is connected, the plastic would interfere with the frame :(.

So if you really want to buy this tv, i would recommend led strips instead of strings and a frame.

I've received the TV today, and the stand won't be a problem, because I will be wall mounting the TV so that extra "bump"of plastic won't be there.

So I think I will go with the frame. Despite what you said, I will probably make the frame 10mm narrower than the TV on either side so that you can't see it so easily. Hopefully when I drill the holes for the lights, I can take this into account and position the holes accordingly

A frame should work with a wall mount, if done correctly. Take into account, that my frame uses the same holes where you attach the wall mount. Hope it works out for you :). Would be happy to see pictures and videos afterwards :).
    Have fun and good luck.

FunkyMunkey

Portal Member
    December 4, 2008
    Leeds
    Home Country
    England England
    A frame should work with a wall mount, if done correctly. Take into account, that my frame uses the same holes where you attach the wall mount. Hope it works out for you :). Would be happy to see pictures and videos afterwards :).
    Have fun and good luck.

Yeah, I'd considered that! I'll use aluminium FLAT profile for the two middle pieces that screw into the VESA holes (so they will be sandwiched between the bracket arms and the TV), and attach them to the outer frame using nylon spacers

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm preparing my PSU, cables, etc. so i can continue the work as soon as the Arduino arrives, but i'm wondering what i need to put on that Arduino.
    A bit lost with what the latest versions are and what sketch/library i should use.
    Any hints? ;)

Why not try my AtmoDuinoSync library? https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...sync-a-way-to-lip-sync-your-atmoduino.124265/

Message me if you want any help, I setup mine just recently. The addLED call is the most important specific thing you'll need to work out.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Its easiest to add them in the sequence atmowin expects them as you will have less work with the software later.
    @Lightning303 Could you explain this a bit?
    What problems might i run into when i start my strip bottomleft (seen from front)?
    187791_leds.png

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Its easiest to add them in the sequence atmowin expects them as you will have less work with the software later.
    @Lightning303 Could you explain this a bit?
    What problems might i run into when i start my strip bottomleft (seen from front)?
    View attachment 145948

No big problem. You have to tell AtmoWin where every single LED is located. There is a window for that. Just a lot of work, especially whith that many leds like you have. Also if you loose you config for some reason you have to do it all over again. Its one of these things that are easy to configure, but where there is a high chance that you make one tiny mistake, and you are looking for it like forever ;p.

AtmoWin expects the first LED to sit in the upper left conor (looking at the tv screen, NOT the back), and then going clockwise.

Example picture from @legnod: http://attachments.team-mediaportal.com/2012/01/148938_AtmoWin_Zonenanordnung.png
    Z:0 to Z:43 is AtmoWins zone decalaration, Kanal 0 - Kanal 43 are legnods leds. So he had to tell AtmoWin that:
    Z0 = Kanal 8
    Z1 = Kanal 9
    Z43 = Kanal 7

Thats not needed if you do it "right" in the first place ;).

Your arduino arrived yet? :D

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Z:0 to Z:43 is AtmoWins zone decalaration, Kanal 0 - Kanal 43 are legnods leds. So he had to tell AtmoWin that:
    Z0 = Kanal 8
    Z1 = Kanal 9
    Z43 = Kanal 7
    Aaah, that horrible manual mapping...
    Good to know :p

Look what the postman just delivered ;)
    ArduinoLeonardo.jpg

Forgot to buy a powercable for my PSU...
    Got that just now, PSU is done, checking output & LEDs specs is next
    Then hook up the Arduino, load the sketch and see if i can get a response from the LEDs
    Then i need to figure out what the results are with the LEDs behind the TV.

IF i set the number of LEDs to lets say 20, i assume that means the first 20 LEDs will be on, and the rest OFF?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Pffff... challenges ;)
    New to Arduino, so that needed some reading. I started with a simple blink (arduino LED) to check that uploading etc. works, and that went fine.
    My LEDs are not broken, because they 'blink' when i put power on them, but i simply can't get my LEDs to light up and give me a color :(

AtmoWin settings:
    device: Atmoduino, then hit the 'device setup' button and set interface to COM6 (device manager shows that), speed @ 3456000 and 240 LEDs.
    I hit OK, and popup says 'connected' and the RX led of my Arduino lights up. When i put AtmoWin mode on 'Kein Effekt aktiv' then the RX led of the arduino goes out. That suggests that all seems good and connected. No errors when i hit OK and close AtmoWin.

Anyone any clues??

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well i have no experience with arduino, but it sound like AtmoWin can connect to the arduino without problems, but the arduino has problems outputing the right signal. Maybe a library missing? Maybe the wrong one (different led controller). Thats all i can come up with, sorry :(. Maybe @kenwonders can help?

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I would suggest using 'FirstLight.ino' to determine your Arduino is properly talking to the LEDs. I had similar issues to you at first, but running FirstLight and changing the following got me there:

Data line may need to be connected to to the other end of LED strip (I have 2 different types of the same looking ws2801)
    addLED call may need to have data rate added (my ws2801 did not work using default defined speed)

Once you get the lights working by themselves, then move on to AtmoDuino/AtmoWin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom