[DIY] Selfmade AmbiLight using LED Strings (1 Viewer)

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How did you secure the LED's into the alu L profile??

Hey, you just punch the LEDs in the holes and thats it. The LEDs have barbs (i have no idea if this is the right term for it, i googled it :p), that hold them.
    In the specifications it says the hole has to be 12mm in diameter and 1.5mm deep. However, if you deburr the hole after drilling, i guess a 2mm thick profile would work aswell, maybe even better.

ws2801 punchy.png

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for that Lightning, it does help. Your choice of term is good - "Barbs" is the term I would have used. Google translate?? ;)

I have just been eBaying the components, so will get them ordered in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

adeyman

January 29, 2012
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Lightning,

Would you be able to post a picture (or video) of what the ambilight system looks light when you are playing cinemascope/ultrawidescreen movies. Does it just not have any lights at the top and bottom?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Lightning,

Would you be able to post a picture (or video) of what the ambilight system looks light when you are playing cinemascope/ultrawidescreen movies. Does it just not have any lights at the top and bottom?

Many thanks,

Adrian

The lights on the top and bottom are on like the rest when watching ultrawidescreen movies. Im not sure if you can disable it if you wanted to with the atmolight plugin. Depends, if the plugin sends just the picture of the video file or the whole screen including the black bars. Im guessing it sends just the video pictures.
    I will attach a picture of this tonight, when its dark outside and you can actually see anything on the picture i take :).

Edit:
    Here is the picture. I took it with my mobile, so the colors look a bit off.

Attachments

• 2013-08-27 21.20.22.jpg
      2013-08-27 21.20.22.jpg
      1.2 MB
    Last edited:

adeyman

January 29, 2012
    Home Country
    England England
    Many thanks for that. It kind of looks like the ambilight plugin works with the media file doesn't it.

J

joostzilla

Wow, what a great project.
    Maybe a dumb question and i could have found it in some other thread but how do you connect the Sedu board to PC. Probably with USB.
    Does it put a lot of extra strain on the GPU or CPU of the HTPC?

btw. Lightning303, i see you use Titan as skin. Thanks!

And a few more demo videos would be highly appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow, what a great project.
    Thanks, but wouldnt have been possible without threads like https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...thread-sedu-board-led-stripes-atmowin.104785/

Maybe a dumb question
    There are no dumb questions ;p.

how do you connect the Sedu board to PC. Probably with USB.
    Yeah, the Sedu board is connected via USB.

Does it put a lot of extra strain on the GPU or CPU of the HTPC?
    It does add extra strain on the CPU. However, you can change how often a picture is send to AtmoWin within the Atmolight Plugin for Mediaportal. Standard is every frame gets send and analysed.
    Im running a AMD Athlon II X2 250 (2x3GHz) CPU and watching a 24Hz video adds about 10% more load to my CPU when sending every frame.

btw. Lightning303, i see you use Titan as skin. Thanks!
    :) and before that i used Avalon. Call me a fan ;).

And a few more demo videos would be highly appreciate.
    I can do that, something in mind?
    Maybe a specific scene from a movie? A intro of a specific series? A youtube video?
    Top Gear looks quite good, when they show a car with a lot of colors and great video editing.
    Let me know :).

J

joostzilla

Thanks for your respons. I have send you a PM. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom