DUGG 5.0 is available for Australian TV (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks, Angusman for all you have done with Dugg.
    I will surely miss Dugg heaps, like going back to the stone age.

:D

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    if only we could somehow get dugg or some other app to grab the data every 7 days and store it on a localised point, say on the team-mediaportal site, then we just get some kind of a tool that lets us grab the info from that part of the site and just have a easy way to modify the tv station names for each user at there home to match up with naming conventions, i wonder if this is the only way around it, so the sites don't notice heaps of traffic?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if only we could somehow get dugg or some other app to grab the data every 7 days and store it on a localised point, say on the team-mediaportal site, then we just get some kind of a tool that lets us grab the info from that part of the site and just have a easy way to modify the tv station names for each user at there home to match up with naming conventions, i wonder if this is the only way around it, so the sites don't notice heaps of traffic?

I thought that was exactly how DUGG worked - most times when I ran DUGG, the data was supplied directly from the DUGG server rather than from the actual source - that's why it was so quick?

Even so, the actual source (I don't think it was ninemsn?) decided to introduce encription and then start the "see if you can figure out how to get around this" game .... just like ninemsn had done earlier.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    One major issue with mediaPortal at the moment is getting reliable sources for guide data. This is not only an issue for Australia, many people around the world get frustrated trying to find a reliable source. I think that the best solution to this would be to have a global MediaPortal database for this information. Only one person in an area would need to have grabbed a copy of the data for a channel and it would distribute it to everyone else in the same area who needs data for that channel. If multiple people got data from different sources for the same area and channel, a simple algorithm could pick the best one (the one with the best description) or combine, say, a source that has the names and times and genre with one that has just the name, times and description.

I think this would be a good solution for all around the world, as most people would just have to choose their location and match the channels they have configured in MediaPortal to the channels available to get guide data straight away. Then, later, if they want to help with supplying data they can set up a grabber to grab data for their area and help make the data more accurate and reliable.

It would be difficult to get going, but I think it could greatly reduce the barrier for entry to MediaPortal.

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    I thought that was exactly how DUGG worked - most times when I ran DUGG, the data was supplied directly from the DUGG server rather than from the actual source - that's why it was so quick?

Yep I think you're right about that one Taipan. I'm pretty sure that's why sometimes you had to delete all the files in the data directory as if one file that someone else uploaded was corrupted, each person who downloaded it would get the same corruption.

Even so, the actual source (I don't think it was ninemsn?) decided to introduce encription and then start the "see if you can figure out how to get around this" game .... just like ninemsn had done earlier.

The last version of DUGG appeared to be using the news.com.au tv guide. I took a quick look at it today, and I can see what he means about the encryption being simple. I was contemplating writing my own grabber, which I still may do, but if they're going to play silly buggers like ninemsn did, I doubt there's much point.

Ah well, hopefully angusmann will release the source like they're asking him to over at ausmce. I'd be interested from a coding perspective how he did some of the stuff. :D

Paul Mathews

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2005
    NorthPole
    I'am an idiot please help me set this up :(

I seem to be out of my depth setting his guide up. I'am in Sydney.

An Idiots guide would be nice, if you have the time :)

Thanks.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you are referring to DUGG, then a quick read of this thread will tell you that it no longer works ... please read the whole thread.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Well the IceTV guide does work and by the looks of it, the hassle is getting less and less worth it. For $70 a year, a pre-supplied guide isnt looking so bad. I also had a free 2 month IceTV subscription in one of the other threads.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, you can use WebEPG which is included with MediaPortal, and get the data from the OzTiVo site. Refer here for all the information - you will need to create an account at the OzTiVo site .... enjoy!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom