DUGG 5.0 is available for Australian TV (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
Hey, I'm having the same problem with an error - file can't start with "."

I've tried redcuing the number of days (to two), I've deleted the contents of the "Data" folder, deleted the existing tvguide.xml file and removed everything from the database - still getting that error.

I've even tried running Dugg from a different PC, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Mmmmmm...looks like a parsing error again. Looking into it now. Should not be difficult.

Downzy

Portal Pro
January 5, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Thanks Angusmann.

I reverted to my "backup" epg plan, but the data is crap! ...And I think I'm in trouble cause it missed a couple of shows that I record for my wife :( Damn it, I'll be hearing about that one!

Anyway, looking forward to the fix, let me know if you need some data to sort it out. I can post the logs or xml if you need it.

Thanks once again for your assistance - and for DUGG :)

Cheers,
Downzy

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
Hi all...I hate giving people bad news, but here goes. People may have noticed that MP is crashing when processing data from dugg.

This is because the site that dugg uses to get guide info has just added encryption to their pages. I always thought they would do this, but it came faster than I expected.

This encryption is extremely simple and I hope people won't think it's a cop-out when I say I am not going to release an update to bypass it. We have already played that game with MSN. It was exhausting, and incredibly frustrating to keep fixing the program even when it wasn't broken. I just don't have the time or energy to fight another "code war". I know that as soon as I bypass it, they will improve it.

So (at least for a while) I am going to step gracefully out of the guide-grabbing business, and unless they remove the encryption, dugg will no longer grab valid data.

I have previously recommended IceTV and still do. They are not all that expensive and with their up-coming legal case they need all the support we can give. I am a subscriber myself. Those with pay-tv I realize that leaves you in the cold and I'm sorry for this. I wish I had a solution for you.

If there are any programmers out there who want to give it a try I'm happy to tell them what I know about writing grabbers.

So I'm signing off....all the best to everyone.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    That's sad news, but thank you for all the effort you have put in so far.
    You hard work has been very appreciated.

Regards,

Marcus.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, thanks for all your work. I think that most people who write grabbers get burnt out eventually, because it is just so easy to break them on the other end.

I am sorry to see DUGG go, because it was the best grabber I have used for Australia.

Thanks again.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for all your hard work Angusmann - DUGG was excellent! But I can appreciate that trying to keep up with their encription changes was a lot of work for you.

I only wish I had the necessary programming skills, as I would willingly take up your offer to continue to give life to DUGG.

For me, there is a principle at stake here too - to show the "owners" of the TV guide data that they are wasting their time trying to prevent their "customers" from using data that is already in the public domain.....:rolleyes:

:D

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    For me, there is a principle at stake here too - to show the "owners" of the TV guide data that they are wasting their time trying to prevent their "customers" from using data that is already in the public domain.....:rolleyes:

:D

Yes, this is exactly why I don't feel that paying providers such as IceTV is a great solution in the long term (except convenience wise), as it is sort of privatising public domain information.

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    As many people have already said, but I MUST say too is thanks! for all the time and effort that has been put into DUGG.

As this lovely program slowly fades into the thermal environment of Australia EPG chaos I will sadly miss its’ effectiveness and simplistic use.

So in closing, I’ll miss you “DUGG” may you rest in peace.

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    I can only agree with what people have said on here. Unfortunetly this seems to be the way most Aussie EPG grabbers are going. I can kind of see both sides, although if the websites are so worried about the traffic hitting their site, why not make the information available in XML form and have it available for FTP??

Despite Aussies liking to think we're on the cutting edge, you only have to look at how poor our "broadband" is to see just how far behind the rest of the world we truely are.

It's a shame, but kudos to angusmann for all his hard work. Dugg got better with each release, and hopefully it will come back ( legally! ) in some form down the track.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom