DVD ISO files with My TVSeries Plugin (1 Viewer)

murkyl

Portal Member
February 16, 2009
I'm not sure which version it started but I believe that MP TV Series just tries to use the player that is configured for MediaPortal itself when it encounters an ISO file. I use an external player myself so when I click on the episode in MP TV Series it just launches the DVD.

I'm trying to see if I can use some sort of Bookmark/Cut scene file along with the DVD to make the player automatically jump to the correct position in the DVD and to force a quit/end of playback when complete.

Does anyone here use ZoomPlayer? It has some cut scene editing capability according to the web site. I have some concerns about it working for a DVD however. It seems like they keep track of a unique ID per DVD. Which would of course be the same if you linked multiple files to the same DVD.

campnic

Portal Member
April 3, 2008
Just my two cents, many series store their episodes as individual VOBs, if you extract the image to a directory structure you can link straight to those vobs.

shackrock

Portal Pro
December 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just my two cents, many series store their episodes as individual VOBs, if you extract the image to a directory structure you can link straight to those vobs.

true...many. but not all! what's more, every once in a while you find one that's out of order, number wise...

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
My solution to this was to rip my tvseries as individual Episodes. I was first hoping that I could keep a full copy of my DVD, for easy recreation later, but that didn't work.
So I just used DVD Shrink to rip the different episodes as different folders.

The way I have it now is:

\\TV-series\Band of Brothers\Band of Brothers - s01e01\VIDEO_TS.IFO
\\TV-series\Band of Brothers\Band of Brothers - s01e02\VIDEO_TS.IFO

The rule-expresseion I use looks like this: <Series>\<Series> - s<Season>e<Episode>\VIDEO_TS.IFO

This way, it is the folder that is named after the episode, and every episode have its own folder meaning that every episode gets assigned correctly in TVseries.

I had dreaded that this was going to be very timeconsuming ripping again, but it was not. I had previously ripped the DVD's as "Full Backup". Using DVD Shrink I could open these backups just as if I had put the dvd in the drive and rip from the files on my harddrive - making it alot faster than ripping it again. It took me less than 15 minutes to re-rip (if its called "ripping", when I don't rip from the DVD :p) all 10 episodes of Band of Brothers as individual episodes.
This way, I can preserve original quality and not have to worry about all sorts of codecs or containers - it is read just like a regular DVD by TVseries and MediaPortal.

Edit: THe way I extracted the different episodes was that they were all different Titles, which made them easy to identify in DVD Shrink.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Instead of using an easy example like Band of Brothers, use something like all 9 seasons 200+ episodes of the X-Files and you'll understand why this matters to some of us still.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Instead of using an easy example like Band of Brothers, use something like all 9 seasons 200+ episodes of the X-Files and you'll understand why this matters to some of us still.

I'm sorry, I don't quite know which part of the post you are refering to?
    If it is the time-consuming part, 200 episodes would equal (if we stick with my calculations) around 300 min = 5 hours. This is total time, actual worktime is more around 1-1½ hour - the rest is just the computer re-ripping on its own.
    This can probably look like alot, but I think it is time wellspent, considering that now I have my series in TVseries with each episode linked to an entry in the database. Others might not think the same, but I was just sharing my way of doing this.

btw, I did this with other TV-series too. Not 200 episodes, but among others the entire Sex and the City (for my girlfriend :D) which is roughly 90 episodes and the first 4 seasons of Stargate SG-1. So I do know how long it takes to rip entire series.

TheBeave250

March 12, 2009
    Wow, thanks jonaskp, this is exactly what I wanted. How did I not know about dvdshrink before now?!! I just ripped an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which I know is spread across two .vob files in the .iso. I reauthored it and BAM! one video_ts folder for the episode which played in PowerDVD perfectly.

Cruzer

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2008
    Home Country
    I've been doing just what jonaskp has mentioned for some time. It doesn't take all that long. My non-htpc has multiple DVD drives in it and so I just run multiple instances of DVD Shrink and pull out the individual episodes into separate folders. Easy peasy. And yes, some DVDs don't have the titles numbered the same as the episode order. On those, I just play the DVD in a player such as Media Player Classic and see what title plays for each episode. Again, pretty painless. Most disks are in order though.

One nice thing about this is now that I have all the files for an episode its own folder, it's easy to then convert these into .mkv files to save space and put all the pieces into one nice file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom