Tools and other software EPG-Buddy a new EPG Tool with easy usage. (3 Viewers)

barry burnett

Portal Member
August 4, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thnx,
I normally use EPG BUDDY with media portal,,however im trying to grab UK listings but the sky sports names are not updated in any of the sites.Is there a solution for this.?
Thnx.

jhr1948

August 24, 2019
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all, just started trying this recently. Just curious about using an external xmltv file. I loaded an external file, but I don't get the options to remove (or keep) channels. To double check, I signed into TVguide and loaded mapping that way and the box is there, its just not there when I load an external xmltv. Any help?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I loaded an external file, but I don't get the options to remove (or keep) channels.
    That is by design, because the xml file is downloaded already before EPG-Buddy can have a look at. So you can not save any time by disabling some channels for external XML files. Indeed on most, if not all, XMLTV sources you can't download partial xml files at all. Disabling some channels is not only useless but most likely not possible at all. If you don't want the data inside your EPG don't download them (if it is possible) or don't map them to a channel. Then they are not used.

You still can untick the matching on TVDB for some or all channels because here you can save time during lookup and this is in scope of EPG-Buddy..

jhr1948

August 24, 2019
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you Lehmden
    I appreciate the quick response. My situation is that I subscribe to an XML provider that gives you an XML file that is not modified for each customer. Its a huge file with all USA channels (or UK or whatever country groups you choose). I was hoping to find a way to be able to do my own deselecting of channels and read Epg-buddy as a possibility.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    It#s no big deal to have a huge xml file. It's downloaded quick enough, much faster than any WebGrab data. Much better than to have not enough channels in the data.

The deselection of channels has to be done in your TV Server software (don't know which one you are using) by simply not mapping those unwanted/unneeded channels. Normally this happens automatically as the channels present in EPG data but not in your TV server can't be mapped and for this are simply ignored...

sasq40

October 11, 2019
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, i followed the guide to a t and am using the tvguide.com for the epg. I unchecked all irrelevant channels to make the list smaller so i didn't have to work with over 600 channels. What might be causing this? I got the xmltv.dtd download from another guide so maybe thats my issue?
    tvguide.PNG
    tvguide1.PNG

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I unchecked all irrelevant channels to make the list smaller
    There are many places where you can uncheck irrelevant channels so this did not help identifying your problem. You need to be more specific and best show a screenshot where you've unchecked the channels.

I got the xmltv.dtd download from another guide so maybe thats my issue?
    The xmltv.dtd file is a file that describes the necessary conversion from the plain XML file to what the current database needs. You better use the xmltv.dtd file provided with every MediaPortal installation. For MP2 it could be found in the (normally hidden) folder "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0\xmltv\". A similar path is where you can find it in MP1, but as I've not used MP1 for many years now I don't know the exact path..

On your last screenshot you first need to select an channel group from the dropdown and then click on "Load/Refresh" to see any channels... Then you will (most likely) see the channels you've mapped to your tuner before and also which channel have proper matched EPG and which haven't (green vs red mark).

sasq40

October 11, 2019
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi.

There are many places where you can uncheck irrelevant channels so this did not help identifying your problem. You need to be more specific and best show a screenshot where you've unchecked the channels.

Sorry i unchecked them in the epg data page of epg-buddy. Unclicking the grab from TVGuide box and the TVDB box from all irrelevant channels

The xmltv.dtd file is a file that describes the necessary conversion from the plain XML file to what the current database needs. You better use the xmltv.dtd file provided with every MediaPortal installation. For MP2 it could be found in the (normally hidden) folder "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0\xmltv\". A similar path is where you can find it in MP1, but as I've not used MP1 for many years now I don't know the exact path..

Grabbed the xmltv.dtd file from the MP2 folders(mine was located C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\ProgramData\ProgramData.zip\xmltv) still didn't work

On your last screenshot you first need to select an channel group from the dropdown and then click on "Load/Refresh" to see any channels... Then you will (most likely) see the channels you've mapped to your tuner before and also which channel have proper matched EPG and which haven't (green vs red mark).

my only option is the select all channels like in the picture, the only other option is blank. Both options come up with the message nothing to map

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The message above normally only occurs when you don't have any channels mapped to a tuner at all. It has to be like in this screenshot:
    upload_2019-10-15_18-16-19.png

It seems as if it is no issue of XMLTV and also not of EPG-Buddy. It's a misconfiguration of the TV Server... You may have a look at the MediaPortal Wiki to see how to setup the TV Server...

sasq40

October 11, 2019
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    hmm that be it, I don't have a tuner card, ive been trying to make just a channel guide for a cable system Im building in a retirement home, and was just trying to use this to make a scrolling guide I was going to have as one of the channels.Guess maybe I'm using the wrong system for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom