EPG for USA (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hello :D
Does any body know how to get EPG for US Tv?
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hey ,Thanks for you reply :D
This is all new to me , this is the first time I'm using MP
and I really do not know how to do this :oops:
--------------------
waldek

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi Waldek,

I would like to add that WebEPG is maybe not the best EPG system for US use, at the moment. There is currently support for getting the yahoo, however, it has never been really well tested.

As most US MP users use xmltv and grab their guide information from Zap2it. As no one has really taken an interest in developing WebEPG support for the US.

If you search the forums you will find detailed instructions for settup xmltv to access zap2it.

Cheers,

/James

chungsters

Portal Member
    December 10, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Tom, I'm trying to use this as well and would appreciate any and all help from the forum to get this program running. I extracted the pdf file and followed the instructions. I am using version 2.0 of Web Epg, I fine tuned the channel.xml for my area (Virginia,US). However when I tried to use the ""WebEPG-channels.exe" program nothing really happens. I get a window and a count of 1199 in a box. What am I missing? Should I delete what I don't require and save? Any help would be greatful....Paul

tsaelee

August 18, 2005
    Hi, I feel embarrassed by that fact that I work on computer everyday and not able to find an easier way to obtain EPG for U.S. tv/cable.. I understand for the sake of customization that tvguide.xml is used.. how difficult is it to include something a la GB-PVR, with choice to use Zap2it, yahoo, etc?

I think this is the main drawback to MP.. afterall, TV part of MP is the most important.

Can anyone offer an even ..easier.. way of obtaining EPG for us?

Thanks.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Setting up XMLTV is really not that hard and once a config file is made, it's as easy as clicking a BAT file to download your guide. It really couldn't be any easier. You will need a zap2it account and you set up the channels you want in there. I edit them on the website so it does not download channels I never watch. HERE is simple walkthrough.

After I have it all set up I copy out the XMLTV directory and save it. When ever I do a new install (I do one about every other day) I copy over the xmltv and run the bat file.

If you need any help, just let us know.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi Paul,

chungsters said:
    Tom, I'm trying to use this as well and would appreciate any and all help from the forum to get this program running. I extracted the pdf file and followed the instructions. I am using version 2.0 of Web Epg, I fine tuned the channel.xml for my area (Virginia,US). However when I tried to use the ""WebEPG-channels.exe" program nothing really happens. I get a window and a count of 1199 in a box. What am I missing? Should I delete what I don't require and save? Any help would be greatful....Paul

Sorry. WebEPG-channels is the wrong program (that is just a channel management program). Try WegEPG-conf. there are instructions for this in the MP manual here on WiKi.

Cheers,

/James

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    tsaelee said:
    Hi, I feel embarrassed by that fact that I work on computer everyday and not able to find an easier way to obtain EPG for U.S. tv/cable.. I understand for the sake of customization that tvguide.xml is used.. how difficult is it to include something a la GB-PVR, with choice to use Zap2it, yahoo, etc?

I think this is the main drawback to MP.. afterall, TV part of MP is the most important.

Can anyone offer an even ..easier.. way of obtaining EPG for us?

Thanks.

I have to agree with this. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to update the functionality in the setup for MP so it actually works for people in the US. The main problem I have is that on one hand you have the channels found by autoscanning on analog cable, which are all just numbers. On the other hand, you have channels preset by zap2it with actual channel names on them. It doesn't end up blending well at all in the channel list and has caused a number of problems for me and this setup. GB-PVR on the other hand makes it a complete breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread