[no Bug] EVR and Stutter with nVidia ION (1 Viewer)

BeLLe

Portal Pro
August 13, 2008
MBA - My system specs looks alot like yours and so does the screenshot. Really hope that someone can get the atom/ion configuration to work without 2 out of 3 dropped frames

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
thanks for taking the time to look into the matter, robyf!

I gathered the log files using the MP debug mode, so I am puzzled why there are logs missing.

I previously used the MS DTV - DVD codec. It plays smoothly for 2s then exhibits major stutters for 1s or so. That is the reason I bought the CoreAVC codec which I hoped would benefit from the CUDA acceleration of the GPU. This codec plays consistently with microstutters and constant framedrops, like the screendump I attached to my last post.

I tried going back to MS DTV-DVD codec as you suggested robyf now that I have updated to rc5, but there is no change in this department.

I came across some posts wich discussed EVR issues dropped frames and stutters, and the result was an update to dshowhelper.dll. With this in mind I downloaded a svn version prior to these changes. I got Rev24281, installed it on a old pc and extracted and placed the dshowhelper.dll on my troubled system.

My experince so far is that HD tv played using MS DTV-DVD codec seems stutterfree, I have no hard evidence as the statistics overlay does not function with this version. The MP GUI is not behaving well and scrolling stutters as hell, but I am not expecting that some random dll file from an old version will work flawlessly :). This just gives an indication of that something is wrong somewhere, and that it is _not_ a fact that ION 330 based systems is unable to display HD tv...

Best regards
Martin

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Could u please try to install PDVD 9 Codec and remove any other codecs that u are using?

Just use PDVD9 for video and ffdshow for audio.

Also while u are at it could u remove any antivirus software that might be present at ur system.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    no I don't want to buy yet another codec when it is obvious theres something wrong in the MP/codec pipeline, and I'm also not keen on messing too much around with my setup.
    I don't have antivirus running on the mediacenter.

I am satisfied with my current solution even though it requires a dll from an older svn build, but this gives me stable hd tv.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ok I tried upgrading ION drivers but with no luck still stuttering HD channels. I then came to the conclusion that, even though I had not tampered very much with the system I would like to see how it worked with a freshly installed w7, no previous installed SAF, CoreAVC and the like.

I spend a couple of hours yesterday getting it installed, and voilá HD works without stutters of any kind.

I would still like to know why it stuttered in the first place and why different dshowhelper versions kind of solved the problem. But I am very pleased with my stock EB1501 system and RC5 running stable... I think this is the closest I have ever been to a completely flawless htpc system in the 5 years I have been using MP.

Thanks alot to the team and to helpful people in the community!

Best regards
    Martin

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    mba: you're talking about 1080p content, right? Not 1080i (HDTV).

lestat

Portal Member
    July 15, 2007
    mba: can you tell what where the codecs that you used? i'm running windows xp on my eb1501 because i could set correctly on windows7...
    but on windows xp i cant use the remote, so i would like to use windows7 too!

thanks

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    robyf: yes I outputting 1080p

lestat: When it stuttered I tried SAF 4.0/5.0, MS DTV-DVD and CoreAVC. After I reinstalled the system I only have the MS DTV-DVD codec, and I am not going to test another codec on this system, I am bit ecstatic that it finally works so I am not going to tempt faith :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom