Excessive frame drops (1 Viewer)

tclulow_4213

Portal Member
October 5, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
To answer some of the questions/suggestions made.
DVDs suffer the same problem.
I'm not using the laptop's monitor, just HDMI to the panasonic.

Here's the resource montor (looks well withing the PC's capabilities to me). The CPU spike about 20 seconds in is when I started the playback.
upload_2015-10-7_22-50-16.png

Here's the '!' screenshot:
upload_2015-10-7_22-59-2.png

In MediaPortal configuration -> Codecs and renderer -> TV codecs -> Hardware acceleration
I've tried None, DXVA2 (copyback) and DXVA2 (native) which all exhibit this behaviour.
NVIDIA CUVID and Intel QuickSync appear to be not available - it looks like some of the text has been truncated in this message:
upload_2015-10-7_23-9-56.png

With regard to the comments about 50/60hz, I remember seeing some config screens for refresh rates but I can't find them now so if that's important someone will have to direct me to the config page.
I've tried changing the TV refresh rate to 50hz, but the problem persists.

Tony.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    With regard to the comments about 50/60hz, I remember seeing some config screens for refresh rates but I can't find them now
    I set the refresh rate for my HTPC in the "Control Panel" application for the graphics adapter (Nvidia in my case). That offers a choice of resolutions, refresh rates, and colour depth.

There are other places that refresh can be set (I think), but I would start with the graphics adapter. A modern TV will adjust to whatever refresh rate the graphics adapter is outputting.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    NVIDIA CUVID and Intel QuickSync appear to be not available - it looks like some of the text has been truncated in this message
    CUVID is a feature supported only by nVidia cards.
    Quick Sync was initially built into some Sandy Bridge CPUs, but not into Sandy Bridge Pentiums or Celerons, so your GPU just doesn't support it.
    text is truncated if you use 125% in windows DPI settings.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you look at the shift+1 Screenshot the actual fps is 34. 2610. In my opinion this means that the video card can't handle the interlaced video.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    you using a laptop connected to a tv?

without reading through all your posts and logs, I would hazard a guess that this could relate to a multiple display issue. I'd suggest try without connecting to any external displays or hdmi audio devices and retry.

also the number of dropped frames suggest and the fact the cpu usage is not maxed out makes me think that the GPU can't deinterlace/render fast enough. You can lower the work on the GPU by either disable deinterlacing or force it to use bob or weave (less taxing on gpu). Another option is to use software deinterlacing and let cpu do the work.

EDIT:

on your ! screenshot render time = 25ms, however at 50fps you only have 20ms per frame, so it has to drop every 5th frame because it's too slow.

Last edited:

tclulow_4213

Portal Member
    October 5, 2015
    Home Country
    Lots more suggestions/comments, thanks.
    I've tried disconnecting the TV and using the laptop's display - problem persists.

I've tried changing the de-interlacing (below) but to no effect. Is there somewhere else to specify what to do with interlaced source?
    upload_2015-10-8_13-6-41.png

I enabled the pop-up to notify me about refresh rate changing. I had the desktop set to 1920x1080/60 and when I started playing TV the popup notified me of a change to 50hz which I assume is as it should be.
    I've run a DPC latency checker which reports no issues.

In an attemt to reduce the GPU's load, I've disabled hardware acceleration (the main CPUs seem to have plenty of capacity) - but the problem persists.

So it seems the root cause is the GPU can't handle the data rates.
    However WMC works fine without any dropouts.
    What's it doing that MediaPortal isn't? Maybe using different drivers?
    Any ideas what else to try before I give up and buy a consumer freeview PVR?

Tony.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you give the Microsoft-DTV codecs in lieu of LAV a try and have a look at the stats to see if there is any change?

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think - in some circumstances - the MS DTV decoder will drop the framerate if it thinks the render time is too long, so definitely worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom