Excessive frame drops | Page 4

Discussion in 'Installation, configuration support' started by tclulow_4213, October 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My understanding is that "quick stream fix" checks timing (for TS: PCR, PTS, DTS...???) and other meta information (for TS: PAT, PMT...???), but it doesn't touch the actual video or audio content (ie. encoding). In other words, I doubt "quick stream fix" would help, even if you did have the version of VR that supported h.264.

I don't see any dropped frames or other errors in the log files either.

My guess is that the issue relates to the low frame rate (both MediaInfo and TsReader detect 1920x1080 25 fps progressive - which seems a little odd to me) and possible frame rate compensation/conversion (telecine, pull-down etc.) done by BBC and/or your TV and/or your GPU. Such issues will always be most obvious in panning scenes where the source and/or output frame rates are low.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +985 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I remembered from my 5-years use of WMC that users in the USA were/are plagued by a problem known as the "29/59 bug". I have just been browsing TheGreenButton site, and came across the following thread that deals with a similar problem with HD in the UK (presumably it would be called the "25/50 bug"):

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2496

Sadly, that thread does not identify a solution. :cry: :cry: :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Owlsroost
    To the best of your knowledge, does TsReader handle dynamic progressive <--> interlaced changes properly?

@CyberSimian
    If that's the problem, it may be worth trying different video codecs.
    Also note that Owlsroost is currently on holiday so it may be a week or more before he replies... if he replies. May need to ask again after he gets back and has had a chance to settle.

5. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +985 / 3
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thanks; I will add that to the list of things to try:

(1) WMC users found that some driver versions were better than others, so I should try upgrading/downgrading my existing Nvidia drivers.

(2) WMC users also found that certain graphics cards were better than others. Unfortunately, the list of known good cards referenced in the TGB thread is on a page that no longer exists. :( Nevertheless, I do have three other graphics cards that I can try.

(3) Different video codecs (I will have to find out what alternatives are available and how to install them!).

6. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +985 / 3
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Well, that was quick! :)

I looked again at the settings for "H264 Video" on the "TV Codecs" tab. Yesterday I had tried the deinterlacing settings on the right-hand side of the panel ("Hardware/GPU Deinterlacing" with Nvidia CUVID, and separately "Software Deinterlacing (YADIF)"), but they did not make any difference.

This morning I tried varying the "Deinterlacing Mode" setting in the upper left quarter of the panel. It had been set to "Auto" (presumably the default, as I had not previously changed it), so I tried each of the other settings in turn, one of which eliminated the jerky panning in my test clip :), specifically the "Force" setting.

The "Force" setting is described as "All frames are handled as interlaced", so the question now is whether this setting will have a detrimental effect on non-interlaced TV programmes. I will try this setting for a few days, and see if I notice any visual artefacts.

PS: The hover help describing the "Force" setting actually says "All frames are handles as interlaced"; a slight typo there, I think. :D

7. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Be careful with that. It requires a lot of CPU grunt.

Nice. :)
    The explanation fits the problem.

I don't know, but it seems possible if not likely.

That's not in our control; something to report to the LAV developer (Nevcairiel).

8. tclulow_4213

tclulow_4213 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    I'm back from my enforced and untimely absence.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I'm only using SD at the moment. I may get HD tuner(s) at some point (but obviously only if SD works well).

Changing to MS codecs made no difference:
    upload_2015-10-26_15-14-49.png

I've tried a few things. I now have resolution at 1280x720@50.
    This works much better with ether MS or LAV codecs:

upload_2015-10-26_15-21-45.png

Is there a setting in MP that will enforce this when it's playing TV/recordings, but use1920x1080 when I'm looking at photos etc?

Finally, I tried "force" de-interlace and YADIF, neither of which made any difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 26, 2015
  9. Vasilich
    • Team MediaPortal

Vasilich Test Group

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,173 / 2
    Home Country:
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Show System Specs
    you have set MS codecs for video, and should - for TV. Please mention also, that the advice to test MS codec goes for video only - MS audio decoder has limitations for decoding AC3 audio outside of WMP/WMC, so not recommended for usage.

10. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Note that this is some other MS codec rather than the regular DTV-DVD one. I assume that's because tclulow is using Vista rather than 7 or newer, and the DTV-DVD one is not available for Vista.

@tclulow_4213
    Your comment about 1280x720 resolution working much better suggests that the earlier comment from Owlsroost about your GPU struggling may be on the money.

Earlier you said:
    How exactly are you accomplishing that?

11. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,849 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    There is no such setting for this.

Offtopic: There is a hack that might work. Basically use built in refresh rate changer with an external program (eg 12noon.exe) to use various refresh rates with a 720p resolution for videos, however have an additional default setting outside the video fps range for the desktop with a 1080p resolution. Enable force refresh rate change for all videos, and enable flick back to default "refresh rate" which would actually be a 1080p resolution.

Last edited: October 27, 2015

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!