Expand TVSeries to a sister plugin? My Films? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Are you planning on having movie fanart supported at all in a later release?

Actually there will most likely be support in the initial release, but you will probably have to assign fanart to each movie in the config GUI manually. Longer term I'd like to create an automatic fan-art loader based on Movie Backdrops, but the API has not been released yet.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Was unaware of that site, looks promising. FYI there is talk over at movie-xml to support fanart in a similar way what theTVdb does; last I read theTVdb have offered help with updating the code to support it but the whole site needs moving to a new provider for bandwidth reason and this is a huge job..........have you heard anything more?

Are you going to support the new(ish) movie-xml fields mistakes, quotes, dvdids, allmovieids, trivia, etc... in your db? If so have you given any thought on how best to display them as some are huge (like trivia); perhaps they need there own page in the information view or something.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Was unaware of that site, looks promising. FYI there is talk over at movie-xml to support fanart in a similar way what theTVdb does; last I read theTVdb have offered help with updating the code to support it but the whole site needs moving to a new provider for bandwidth reason and this is a huge job..........have you heard anything more?

Are you going to support the new(ish) movie-xml fields mistakes, quotes, dvdids, allmovieids, trivia, etc... in your db? If so have you given any thought on how best to display them as some are huge (like trivia); perhaps they need there own page in the information view or something.

Yeah, I follow the movie-xml.com thread on the MeediOS forums, but my knowledge doesn't extend any further than that.. When zag2me implements fanart support, I will incorporate it into the plugin, however as you mentioned, the site is having problems right now with bandwidth as it it just serving up meta-data and cover-art.

As far as the newer fields from movie-xml, yeah I'll pull them down and make them available to skinners. As far as how to display that sort of stuff, I have not really thought about it yet. I am no expert on MediaPortal GUI design and I am certainly no graphic designer. I will probably make the fields available to the skinners and any changes they request to the code to make things work the way they want, I will facilitate as best as possible.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for adding me to the dev, I will take a look later and see where I can help out.

I have pretty much finished enhancing the core Movies in MP 1.0 RC2; follow the link below to the post.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-development-no-feature-request-here-48/movies-enhanced-cover-retrieval-43405/

If people can download it and check it out that would be useful, it focusing on accurate movie details and coverart retrival and I would look to use the same logical (perhaps different language) within your plugin.

The more testers the better to determine what the most optimal searches are accross the widest selection of movie titles and sites.

FYI - it now retrieves high res cover art independantly of details in both the set up app and within MP, and this is configurable by the user.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would like to ask for a feature that I have thought of for a long time now. I don't know if this is even possible, and it's not something for the initial release at all.

When having a large number of movies to choose from, sometimes deciding which one to watch can be hard. This grows even harder the more people you are, since everyone has some different favorites. If this is just dvd movies, often I have resolved this problem by taking the movies that are "in the running" and lining them up next to each other, to get sort of an overview of the situation.

I would love it if this could be transfered to Mediaportal.

I was thinking something along the lines, when you're browsing the movies, pressing Info button gives you an option to "add to x list (x being a cool name for this feature :-P". When doing this with a couple of movies you could go enter the x list, giving you a view where only the movies you selected are visible, making it a lot easier to choose, because you won't get confused with running up and down your entire library and finding the movies.

Is this something others could find usefull or is it just me?

mattsk88

Community Skin Designer
    March 27, 2008
    Another quick question what are using to identify the fanart-movie, are you going to use the IMDB ID number? I think that might be a good idea as other media programs are using that as an identifier (meedio for one). If this is used then fanarts that have been named for meedio can be used without any renaming with this plugin.

maiky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Ah! i would love that feature! With that function working u will save so much time that u can watch two movies insteed of one a night ;)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    How about a "choose random" button from that list? So when you narrow the movies down to round five choices and you still can't decide (a woman present) MP chooses for you (sorry babe, nothing I can do about it). :D

Emph

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Another quick question what are using to identify the fanart-movie, are you going to use the IMDB ID number? I think that might be a good idea as other media programs are using that as an identifier (meedio for one). If this is used then fanarts that have been named for meedio can be used without any renaming with this plugin.

The primary key identifiers for a movie was discussed a few posts back. The 3 key movie identifiers used across sites are Title, year and IMDBNo. Depending on the site they use any or all of these to identify the movie to scrape details, covers, fan art , etc... The script would thus use the best combination of those three fields that you have available and that the site in question can use.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I would like to ask for a feature that I have thought of for a long time now. I don't know if this is even possible, and it's not something for the initial release at all.

When having a large number of movies to choose from, sometimes deciding which one to watch can be hard. This grows even harder the more people you are, since everyone has some different favorites. If this is just dvd movies, often I have resolved this problem by taking the movies that are "in the running" and lining them up next to each other, to get sort of an overview of the situation.

I would love it if this could be transfered to Mediaportal.

I was thinking something along the lines, when you're browsing the movies, pressing Info button gives you an option to "add to x list (x being a cool name for this feature :-P". When doing this with a couple of movies you could go enter the x list, giving you a view where only the movies you selected are visible, making it a lot easier to choose, because you won't get confused with running up and down your entire library and finding the movies.

Sounds like a useful feature, that's a pretty similar to how we used to pick what to watch around my place too. Something like this will probably get done sooner or later, but it's gonna be further down the list though.

Someone else mentioned play random, yes that will be included, probably in the first version.

Hrmm. I can probably add a button to auto populate with filenames of the format <imdb>.png or something like that. What exact naming convention do other programs use? Is there anything else that is common?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom