Expressions/Rules requests (1 Viewer)

bobert24

Portal Member
April 5, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not sure how this isn't covered by a default included rule, but I've added the following rules (among others) to try to work with this, but still absolutely no luck:

Those should have worked just fine. Did you re-arrange their order to be first priority? You might be dealing with false positives from higher prioritized expressions, which means the system never ends up processing yours.
Of course not. That would have been too easy, and saved that extra hair that I apparently didn't need.

I didn't realize false positives could happen and screw up the parsing. It makes perfect sense, of course. I actually thought about this while I was dealing with the problem yesterday - it would be fantastic if there was a way to tell which rule a show was processed under. That way false positives could be easily picked out, rules rearranged, etc.

Also, is there some kind of guide to the regular expressions used in here? Like I said, I've dealt with them more than a few times, but the ones that come loaded by default are complex enough that, without some sort of reference or place to start, they're very difficult to make sense of, much less modify.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Grab Expresso from: http://www.ultrapico.com/Expresso.htm

It has a "Regex Analyzer" that allows you to disect the regular expressions used down to the very core and splits all the groups to make it easy.

Also comes with a builder, so you can use it as a reference when modifying or creating a regular expression.

The default expression is one that I've build and maintain, it is compatible to the syntax that is used by myself and majority of content available:

"Series - S01E01 - Episode Title.ext" format, but also works on "series.s01e01.title.quality-tag.scene-tag.ext" and many others​

It has indeed grown to be quite complex due to the mass support of combinations, as well as preventing as many false positives as possible, but it has been tested on extremly large collections. So the false positive you ran into is more then likely caused by some of the other default expressions that were kept to retain backwards compatability.

liteglow

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2011
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    i think i maybe posted my question in a wrong thread.
    but mp-series does not find the series "24" , this is how each episode is listed: 24 Season 6 Episode 13 - 6PM - 7PM

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    i think i maybe posted my question in a wrong thread.
    but mp-series does not find the series "24" , this is how each episode is listed: 24 Season 6 Episode 13 - 6PM - 7PM

If you do an easy mass-rename of " Season " == " - S" and " Episode " == "E" so it becomes "24 - S6E13 - 6PM - 7PM", then the default expression will import it fine.

Inface this is what you can use the String replacement system in MP-TVSeries for as well, so just add the above replacements (including the spaces, so everything between quotes) and it will work

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Maybe you can convince our resident RegEx guru @RoChess, I will happily update our default one or add a new one ;)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Done :cool: -- https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/expressions-rules-exchange.21977/page-3#post-701043

It should be a relative safe upgrade, but there is always the risk of introducing false-positives.

Expresso gave me no errors on my existing test list of:
    • foo.s01_e01.bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo_[s01]_[e01]_bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo_[s01]_[e01-02]_bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo.1x01.1x02.bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo #1.01 + #1.02.bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo.1x01.1x02.bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo s01e01 - e02 bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo s01e01 + s01e02 bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo - s01e01 - s01e02 - bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo.2009x101.bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo.S18E203.2010.08.27.bar-episode-title.ext
    • 24.S08E01.04.00.PM-05.00.PM.bar-episode-title.ext
    And it now also works on:
    • foo season 1 episode 01 - bar-episode-title.ext
    • foo season 1 episode 01 + episode 02 - bar-episode-title.ext
    • (and many more combinations)
    Enjoy

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't need to upgrade because I'm a super user, only have the one file naming format to parse which is
    \TV\%series%\Season #\%series% - S#E# - %tilte%.ext

Last edited:

Grimeh

December 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    First of all i would like to say that I am not a coder and that i would like to see this addon and MP succeed.
    I am trying to get the import to recognise some files as tv shows and i thought i would give the "simple" parsing expression a go, but i am finding that there is no guide for what tags i can use so i don't have to rename my files (due to future automatic downloads and current uploads\shares that i can't change) even though i have stumbled my way through to this point.
    This is the file details:
    Foo\Foo Season x\101.Title.tilte.title.avi

And this is my simple parsing expression so far:
    <series>\<null>\<season>[0-9]<episode>[0-99].<title>

This kinda works but with out knowing what i can use i have tried some hybrid combination using the [0-9] etc. (which i think is probably messing things up, but i dont know any other way to get what i need)
    Can anyone help me out and give me the guide\low down on what tags i can use.

I am also comparing MP (with tvseries) to the standard XBMC scrapper (which picks up all the epps that this currently does not) and it got me thinking.
    If i understand the way this is working, why don;t the devs compile and maintain a "super" parsing expression .expr file or online resource that the program can query or download to use?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    why don;t the devs compile and maintain a "super" parsing expression .expr file or online resource that the program can query or download to use?

They already do, and I help maintain the primary expression. It's the one that parses my entire collection and follows the scene defined standard formatting of:

"Show Name - S01E01 - Episode Title.ext"

Supporting the millions of other combinations that users create is a developers nightmare. Still extra expressions are added to account for a few alternative schemes, but it is impossible to account for all. If enough users on the "Express/Rules Exchange" vote that new expressions work fine for them, then they can be added to the default. The problem is that a new expression for one user can lead to false positives for another. This is why new expressions are only added with extreme caution.

I did recently help create an expression that solves acronym show names, and that one is now default and part of the installer. But once again extreme caution is used. You might never see that expression, until you hit RESET inside the expression list, because by default the installer doesn't upgrade expression out of fear you might have made custom modifications and it does not want to break them.

So verify first you have the current expressions in use right now by using RESET, test again and check the Exchange thread to see if an expression already exists for your non-standard naming scheme. Then if you know a certain expression works, and it is not default, do all the testing to ensure it will not lead to false positives for the 99% who do use standard naming schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom