Extension Installer V2 (1 Viewer)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just commited the installer script. It also includes the action with the unistall script which throws an error on uninstall. If you could just quick check that as well, I'd be giving you !beer ;)

dukus

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    On uninstall the scripts are executed in reversed order, the "Eror in Script : Invalid type name." message was generated by the script which don't have uninstal script param (the first one), if i removed the error don't show.
    If your script are working you can put in wiki : MpeMaker/Script - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried to put both scripts into this one action (so install and uninstall script are set), but still get the same error.

The script are not 100% identical! The install calls regsvr32 and the uninstall of course regsvr32 /u. And right now thinking about it, I really need two actions, because the uninstall script must be run BEFORE the file is deleted.

PS: I'm currently on IRC.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi dukus.

I have a suggestion which might solve skin/plugin incompatibility.
    Is it possible to add a tag in skin files like:
    mylyrics.xml
    <version>1.4</version>

When lyrics is updated, the update check should check skin file and if version does not match it will warn the user(yes/no to install). And when skin is updated it would update.

This is just a idea, but something like that might be great.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Nice idea 1st dead. I can confirm that from a skin perspective you can add a version tag like <version>1.4</version>. I have used that already and it works. The issue is that I assume MPEI has to check each xml then to determine compatibility. If it is fast enough, even when we we have 50 plugins using MPEI installed, then cool! I can already see that updating online info is taking longer and longer with more extensions starting to use MPEI!

dukus - I am having a problem with the way update works. At present, I see no way to correct errors or add info to Descriptions (either Extension or Version) in update.xml, to add screenshots, or anything else, without creating a whole new .mpe1 file with a different name. Is that correct? I realize that normally you only do that when you issue a new release of an extension. However I am human, and sometimes make mistakes and I don't see them (especially formatting errors) until I see the results in MPEI or the Extensions Plugin. Is there any way I can fix them without issuing a new release?

Am I correct that the local cache is retained until a user chooses to clean it? This means all extensions should all keep copies of previous releases and previous update.xml and xmp2 files or else users receive a 404 error when they try to access them? Maybe all we need is a better error message when a version of an extension is not longer available? Perhaps it could include a tip to clean the cache?

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Nice idea 1stdead. I can confirm that from a skin perspective you can add a version tag like <version>1.4</version>. I have used that already and it works. The issue is that I assume MPEI has to check each xml then to determine compatibility. If it is fast enough, even when we we have 50 plugins using MPEI installed, then cool! I can already see that updating online info is taking longer and longer with more extensions starting to use MPEI!

Any other idea will do as well. If you say index takes too longs time, we could just make a version.xml and add
    movingpictures = 1.0
    mptvseries = 2.2

or something similar and just let it check that file. Should be quite fast even on slow systems?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    1stdead Actually the InstalledExtensions.xml in [userdata]\MediaPortal\Installer already contains version tags: Major, Minor, Build and Revision

dukus - The first time I tried clean installation cache, I got a message saying "folder not empty" 3 or 4x. What is up with that? When I try again the message does not appear.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Dukus - HELP! I am trying to get the Extension Description to display nicely, but they work differently in MPEinstaller and Extensions plugin. In MPEInstaller I have to insert hard returns or the description just displays on one long line. But If I add hard returns, then in Extensions installer the text will not wrap correctly.

Can you format the text lines in MPEInstaller to autowrap? I think that would solve the issue as then I don't have to add hard returns in the description in MPEMaker.

rsenden

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    Rotterdam, NL
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Monochrome skin isn't have any url submitted to the online list http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MPEI/extensions.txt so no way to know about it just after installatio it is same situation for Indigo

If I'm correct, an update XML file can contain updates for multiple plug-ins. Would it be a good idea to create a generic update.xml file at for example http://mp-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mp-plugins/trunk/plugins/_MPE/update.xml that everyone with SVN access can update?

This way developers can add their plug-in to this generic update.xml file and do not have to submit their own update.xml location. Of course, developers should be careful not to overwrite others' changes due to using old local copies of the generic update.xml.

BTW How do I submit my own update URLs to be included in http://install.team-mediaportal.com/MPEI/extensions.txt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom