Extension Installer V2 (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure if you've added this, but should the installer associate .mpe1 with the extension installer so if you double click on the file.mpe1 then it loads the extension installer.

dukus

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Now the installer use same .mpe1 file extension (this will associated with exe by the MP install setup), the installer test if the file is the new format, if not try to run the older installer.
    Script support added too.
    The installation can be canceled and all actions will be roll backed.
    To test download from first post. I need more feedback....

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I hate to sound negative, but what is the point of this? As the lead developer for Moving Pictures why would I want to switch to this new installer type? We already have created an installer with NSIS, a flexible and well supported installation product. So why would we want to switch to this custom solution when what we are already using works perfectly fine?

dukus

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Point of this installer is to provide a simple way to install and update mediaportal extensions.
    Second point is to help the extension makers to publish extension in a simple way. (Not all developer can use NSIS or MSI installer, and not very simple to link this with MP environment) and we want to use a single file format to provide extensions in our main file repository (but not first to be tested this format) specially for MPII.

And finally it is sad that two most used plugin used by the mp uses is delivered two different format which not use mpei (it is true the older was really restrictive, but now it is a chance to test it , if not at least take a look, and a'm ready to improve it, this isn't a final product, i hope will be when 1.1 will be released) and a last thing Moving Pictures it is a plugin for MediaPortal like others and there are a lot good made plugins, so if others can used it, i don't see the difference ....

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If there are advantages dukus, we will definitely take a look and strongly consider switching. For example if there was an interface to browse and install plugin-ins via the MediaPortal config that required an MPEI install package to work, hell yes we would go for that. Awesome idea. It does not seem to me like that is what is being done here though. Maybe I am misunderstanding the goal, but it seems to me like you guys are simply creating your own install script package. How is it easier for the user to download and install an MPEI package versus an NSIS package? The NSIS package is an executable, if anything this seems even easier to use to me.

Again I am not trying to be down on your work I am just trying to understand if there would be advantages for us if we switched Moving Pictures to MPEI. So far all I am hearing is "it's better" and "easier for the user" which are admirable goals, but I do not understand what makes these statements true.

dukus

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    "it's better" it is a very ambiguous statement, it's better comparing with what ?
    There are two group of person the users and the developers.

So for devs what is the meaning of "easy " ?
    And for final users what is the meaning of "easy " ?

I try to collect some response for this question, tomorrow i try to make a table with meanings for "it's better" and "easier for the user" and with help from developers and users, hope this really will be "it's better" and "easier for the user".

So really want yours observations about this new installer (if you have enough time for it )....

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Just my 2 penny's worth...
    Easy = Open MP config -> choose the plugin(s) from some kind of online list -> click go -> done :)
    Multiple plugins installed at once would be a big + too...

If this could be used to install skins too it would be fabulous :D

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    fforde - MovingPictures installer has always been good, but when I was a new user of MP it drove me crazy trying to figure out all the different ways to install various skins and plugins, and as Dukus said, not all plugins use an installer and many don't even provide basic instructions. So a common, consistent installation is a huge advantage imo, especially if it ensures a certain level of quality. I can't say much though since we have not used MPEI for aMPed skin LOL! The old installer just didn't work for us and was way too difficult for simple skin installation. But I am really hoping this new version will remedy that! Dukus, I believe chefkoch has let you know our current requirements?

One reason I like installing zip files is to 'peek' inside at what is there and where it installs. Can I do this with MPEI?

As a user, I would really love it if all skins and plugins could and would use the MPEI. Consider the advantage of viewing all your skins and plugins and updating them via one interface, i.e the Extension Installer or even in MP GUI using the Extensions Plugin. I am looking forward to that day!

So thanks Dukus for all your efforts, I am sure there are thousands of new users who will be eternally grateful.

EDIT: SpudR - you beat me to the point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom