External Program Talking to MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
Is there any way for an external program to ask/query MP if it is currently recording?

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
BigBuddha said:
Is there any way for an external program to ask/query MP if it is currently recording?

Let me know how you get on with this. I want to do the same.

Currently I have a daily procedure that restarts the PC, defrags runs WebEPG etc. It runs at about 4am and I just have to hope it doesn't occur in the middle of MP recording. I want a small exe that will let me ping MP for its status:

Are you recording now?
Are you going to start recording with the next N minutes?

Thinking forwards a little - this could also be used as the basis of a feature to test that MP is still alive. i.e. if the request timesout then an auto-reboot could be issued.... would require a process (app) that sleeps for N minutes, then pings MP, and if it's gone runs a user selected app/shell script.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    bigj said:
    ... I want a small exe that will let me ping MP for its status:

Are you recording now?
    Are you going to start recording with the next N minutes?

Thinking forwards a little - this could also be used as the basis of a feature to test that MP is still alive. i.e. if the request timesout then an auto-reboot could be issued.... would require a process (app) that sleeps for N minutes, then pings MP, and if it's gone runs a user selected app/shell script.

What about a script that checks the log file?

Mike

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    mzemina said:
    What about a script that checks the log file?
    Mike

Mmm, yes that would provide: "Is MP recording?", but not "Is MP going to start recording in the next N minutes?"

Looking at the DB could also work, but I think a general purpose interprocess interface would be good for this and any other stuff in the future.
    Not sure how it would be implemented in .net though.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    BigBuddha said:
    samuel337 said:
    It is possible using the web service that's included with MPW (the web interface).

Could you give a little more detail on how to do this with MPW?

Install MPW.

Navigate to http://<MP computer name>:81/MPExtControlWS/service.asmx

Click on the Get_MPPropertyManager link.

Try these properties for the relevant information - this only works when MP is running.

#TV.View.channel
    #TV.View.thumb
    #TV.View.start
    #TV.View.stop
    #TV.View.remaining
    #TV.View.genre
    #TV.View.title
    #TV.View.description

#TV.Record.channel
    #TV.Record.start
    #TV.Record.stop
    #TV.Record.genre