F-Fwd TV stream on client - no preview. Just me? (1 Viewer)

argypak

Portal Pro
November 21, 2007
Berwick
Home Country
I Could be wrong, but it seems to be a limitation in the ts reader.
I don't think it will be fixed any time soon. I just get by with the skip, which seems a bit half ....... anyway.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't think it will be fixed any time soon. I just get by with the skip, which seems a bit half ....... anyway.

In short, it is caused by two different things:

1) TsReader aren't supporting other than 1.0x playback rate
    2) No one knows how to allow audio renderer to render faster than 2.0x rate (no, it wont help to mute the audio...).

So, its a known issue with no available sollution (yet). Also it is pretty low on priority (as all developers are finding the skip steps much better way for navigation :)).

If someone knows how MS DVD navigator does it's trick with the audio renderer, please let us know. After that is known its possible to fix the issue.

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    Understood.

People including myself who have moved away from the Microsoft product to mediaPortal don't look at the overall picture.

The functionality of MP is so much greater than the MS product,
    Server / Client
    Shared Guide etc..

From a users point of view, what we see in the ms product
    Fast Fwd TV
    Record from start of buffer etc

Seem to be standard functions. When we move to MP and they don't work the same, so its a bit frustrating.

I have this problem with the wife. She always looks at the MS product that we left behind as a better product, but she forgets the limitations and "no signal issues" we used to have.

One thin I discovered last week was that now that there is so much traffic going through the home network, the gigabit switch was overheating and causing long delays in mp.
    I opened the switch and screwed on a fan, presto a more stable system.

Second, multiple user access slowing down the file access time. Move to RAID 0 and performance is much improved due to multiple head.

Those are the sort of things that don't get taken into account.

Thats my two cents worth.

Argy

titof

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

In short, it is caused by two different things:

2) No one knows how to allow audio renderer to render faster than 2.0x rate (no, it wont help to mute the audio...).

So, its a known issue with no available sollution (yet). Also it is pretty low on priority (as all developers are finding the skip steps much better way for navigation :)).

If someone knows how MS DVD navigator does it's trick with the audio renderer, please let us know. After that is known its possible to fix the issue.

Ok, thanks for your reply !

But, why it's working on PC TVServer but not on pc clients ?

And why, for some users, it works very well ???

Thanks

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it used to work well with tsfilesouce (remember that?!). Certainly a feature I miss, but it's only useful if it's very responsive and fast. Anyhow I can understand that it's not a priority right now though .

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think it used to work well with tsfilesouce (remember that?!). Certainly a feature I miss, but it's only useful if it's very responsive and fast. Anyhow I can understand that it's not a priority right now though .

TSFileSource ia s as bad as TsReader when it comes to FF/REW. It was TVE2 and MS SBE that has native support for smooth seeking.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Depends on codecs, steam and CPU / HD performance. Here's how MP currently handles the fast forward / rewind (pretty simplified version).

loop until seeking stopped
    {
    1) seek to calculated position
    2) play a little bit
    }

Calculated position is depending on the seeking rate.

titof

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

Depends on codecs, steam and CPU / HD performance. Here's how MP currently handles the fast forward / rewind.

loop until seeking stopped
    {
    1) seek to calculated position
    2) play a little bit
    }

Calculated position is depending on the seeking rate.

Ok I understand !

I will try to improve my setup !! ;)

Thanks a lot for your reply !

By

titof

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

I've test to read recorded tv with MyMovie and fast forward / rewind is work fine with preview. So, if it's a limitation of tsreader, why it's work on MyMovie and not With MyTV ?

CCob

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2008

What would happen if you removed the audio graph from the chain just for forwarding/rewinding purposes and the re-added it when you hit play, would that work, or will it incur a substantial delay?

Also does the audio render in MP use a separate IReferenceClock for the audio chain than the rest of the directshow graph? If not, perhaps you could implement a custom IReferenceClock for the audio chain and offset the IReferenceClock when fast forwarding/rewinding (but mute the audio), which would essentially trick the audio to move forwards/backwards. Just an idea.

Or another option when doing to high speed fwd/rwd would be to seek to the next/previous key frames instead of using SetRate, would that work?

Or I guess the other solution would be to write a custom audio renderer which does support more than 2x and not use the default renderer which is limited to 2x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom