ffdshow upscale + TV + DVD @ 1366x768 (2 Viewers)

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, every filter will make the screen stutter, so, i'm looking for a hardware upgrade..

Core 2 duo proc E6750 with nvidia 8500GT on pcie X16
Hoping that nvidia purevideo HD will offload H264 and MPEG-2 to GPU. anyone has some experience with this?

Also Nvidia website states that 8500 driver will only work correctly on Vista at the moment. Are there any known issues with vista and mp?

If someone knows any better solution/hardware please advise.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi Arn01805,

just wanted to warn you that ffdshow postprocessing and any kind of hardware acceleration (as e.g. purevideo) will not work together. Either ffdshow or purevideo - not both of them.

cheers,
    Michael

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Core 2 duo proc E6750 with nvidia 8500GT on pcie X16

I would cut back slightly on the processor and up the card to a 8600 as it has better purevideo support with hardware acceleration.

Regards

scythelt

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    I would cut back slightly on the processor and up the card to a 8600 as it has better purevideo support with hardware acceleration.

I thought the 8500 had the same purevideo acceleration as the 8600?

In any case, if you're intending on using ffdshow, the hardware acceleration features of any card is academic really... because it's not going to be used.

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I thought the 8500 had the same purevideo acceleration as the 8600?

In any case, if you're intending on using ffdshow, the hardware acceleration features of any card is academic really... because it's not going to be used.

This is confusing. Flipger has posted directshow graphs wich show MPEG decoding with purevideo codec and postprocessing using the FFDshow raw filter. For me, I really have the idea the mpeg decoding is done with purevideo on my system, with ffdshow filters applied afterwards.

I don't want to be stubborn, but want to be sure what's the right approach here.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

well, I think (but I am not quite sure) you're both right. Hardware acceleration can be used for several purposes.

1) Decoding of media (MPEG, H.264). This should still work with ffdshow postprocessing when using a decoder like nVidia Purevideo. The software decoder routes the media stream directly to the hardware.
    2) Accelerated drawing on the display (DirectDraw). This will not work, if you use ffdshow as postprocessor. This is a effect, you can also often see in the settings of DVD-Decoders. There you can only use picture enhancements if you uncheck hardware acceleration.

Flip.

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just upgraded my hardware to nvidia 8600 gts with Core 2 duo proc E6750. Reinstalled the entire system with windows vista. disabled vmr9 enabled evr. installed nvidia purevideo and cyberlink 7.3

now it works without postprocessing as a charm. Upscaling looks good from sd/pal to 1360 x 768. even hdtv H264 look great without stuttering and almost no cpu load so mp stays highly responsive.

mbb

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2004
    Home Country
    France France
    a lighter enhancement filter than sharpen but with a very good result is levels .

by reenforcing black and white the picture seems naturaly sharpest (without side effects)

just change input values by 16 and 235 (that's it)

Attachments

• ffdshowlevel.jpg
      ffdshowlevel.jpg
      65.2 KB

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    mbb:
    i get better results with black levels using postprocessing with these settings instead using levels... try it...

regards,

Attachments

• shot.jpg
      shot.jpg
      132.8 KB

savaino

Portal Member
    November 13, 2006
    will this method also work to scale up streaming video (such as the music videos from y**oo ?
    I tried but the music videos are always shown with bars top, bottom and sides.
    Same for avi or .flv files. Any hint ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom