follw.it shutdown. Any alternative which is not trakt.tv? (1 Viewer)

darkside40

Portal Pro
August 17, 2009
Ruhrgebiet
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,
maybe the most of you have seen that follw.it is shutting down scheduled for the 30. September, althought the Website is not reachable at the moment.

I think this really is a pitty because the developers dont explain why they do that. If it is because of Money i think there would be many people donating a bit for follw.it.
Or maybe it would be possible to make the source of the website open source so it would be possible to run it on an own server.

Nevertheless a statement of the follw.it Admins would be really great.

But back to topic, i always used follw.it to sync my watched status between my two HTPC and to show friends a list of media i have.

Are there any alternatives to achieve the same without using trakt.tv? I dont really like that service because it is a bit complicated and features many things i just dont need.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You can run WebMP local and provide friends with account access to that. For watched flags I guess we're back to exporting manually.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can't you just log all your machines into a Trakt account and leave it at that, you don't need to use the advanced features.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    I really feel the same about trakt vs follw.it....
    On trakt you can't remove entries and you can't change the watched status to unwatched manually. Tons of "advanced" features no one or only very few needs, but basics are missing. I had to delete the whole account and resync it three times now, only because of missing basics. Need to use trakt for a while now as MP2 only support trakt...
    The "unwatched" feature is planed since years, but nothing happens...

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am wondering a bit that nobody had the idea till today to utilize the MySQL Server which is shipping with the TV Server to handle the watched/unwatched flags. I mean most of the users have a TV Server running, may it be standalone (like me but only as Server not with MP Client on it) or on one of their HTPC's. Would be great if it would possible tu use it for such a purpose too.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    On trakt you can't remove entries and you can't change the watched status to unwatched manually.
    Do you mean with the plug in or at the trakt.tv site? In the latter case it's possible to do both manually. I use the plugin just to scrobble and to sync watch status, haven't used any fancy stuff.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    Do you mean with the plug in or at the trakt.tv site?
    Both are not working here. I can see the "delete" button on the site but it never did work. No matter which browser I use. This hasn't worked ever since I've tried.

And how can I get rid of stuff I didn't have in my collection any longer? The "social" features are pretty useless as long as they aren't translated to a language my friends can read and understand. The missing localisation for movies and series is a "no go" too... Trakt only has 50% of the needed features but 3000% not needed stuff... No good balance, I think...
    I never was in a need to clear my follw.it account and resync it. On trakt I had to do so three times this year already...

Follw.it had all I ever need in an easy to use manner. So it really is and will be a pity.

Marbles_00

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Not to mention great plugins like Moving Pictures and MP-TV series supported Follw.it. Has there been any mention of them transferring over to Trakt.tv?

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Marbles_00

Portal Member
    April 14, 2010
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, but those plugins had follw.it incorporated into the plugin by default. It would update watch status across multiple media machines within Movies and TV Series screens/database (I use StreamedMP skin). It made for seamless integration across multiple machines. Will Trakt be able to do that is my question. In the brief time I had to play with it, I'm not sure. I will have to experiment more with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom