Good pc store in london? (1 Viewer)

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
I'm going to london next weekend and thought i'd grab two dvb-c (technotrend dvb-c budget) cards while i'm there. Does anyone know of any good stores? If so please let me know.

Thanks

/Peter

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Go for a walk on Tottenham Court Rd, you'll get just about anything you want there in terms of PC gear and consumer electronics.

I also think that Simply still have a counter service from their warehouse, their site can be found here.

Dazzyb2K3

Portal Member
June 27, 2005
London, UK
Yup, definately Tottenham Court Rd for anything electrical.

Also there's a huge John Lewis down the end of Oxford St. (Pretty close by although Oxford St is V.long so it's quite a walk!) They have an impressive selection of Hardware - I picked up a couple of Nova T's there long before they appeared down Tot. Court Rd. (or most other places in the UK for that matter!) It's a massive store so don't get lost like I did - spent 40mins walking round the lingerie section trying to find the exit.....at least that was my excuse

:wink:

Good luck!

Dazzyb2K3

Portal Member
June 27, 2005
London, UK
I always thought next weekend meant the one after the coming weekend (which usually referred to as this weekend).

May well explain why i'm always late lol

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
I'ts not too late yet... I'm going this saturday.
But it doesn't seem to be any resellers for dvb-c cards in britain. So i guess i'll have to start shopping when i get home.

Thanks for all the tips! Hopefully i'll find some cool gadgets to bring home with me :D

/Peter

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Lugiber, even though we have a widespread DVB-C service in the UK its not widely used on PCs, mostly due to the fact that there are no CAMs that can decrypt the channels so its rather a waste of money right now.

Same has applied to DVB-S until recently also, although you are more likely to find a DVB-S card in a store like PC World than you would a DVB-C. DVB-T is still the most widespread. Other stores that you should consider visiting are PC World and Maplin, there is/was a Maplin on the corner of Edgeware Rd/Marble Arch - you'll also find some of the other big consumer electronics retailers in that area, Dixons for instance. All these areas are within easy walking distance of one another, probably a mornings worth of good hard shopping for you and you could always stop of at Soho for special London break on the walk from TCR to Marble Arch.

Maplin stock a range including Hauppauge, Aver Media and Pinnacle. PC World carry Hauppauge and Pinnacle IIRC.

And if you're into your designer clothes you should pop into the Stone Island/CP shop in Beak Street and pick me up a nice jacket while you're at it :D.

lugiber

Portal Pro
August 3, 2004
Sweden
Sounds like i have a full day of shopping ahead of me!
I just hope my girl firend can stand it :D

Again thanks for all the great tips!

/Peter

Users who are viewing this thread