Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration (2 Viewers)

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Came across this on the Intel forums:

60. Re: How to get Full Range RGB from Intel HD Graphics?

nic 28-Jan-2014 15:42 (in response to chicken-)
    Hi everyone,

A bit of an update and a misunderstanding on this issue.

Full Range RGB support is available for the following Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics products;

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200
    • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100
    • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 5000/4600/4400/4200
    • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500
    • Intel® Pentium® Processor 2020M/2030M/2117U/2129Y/2127U/A1018/G2010/G2020/G2020T/G2030/G2030T/G2100T/G2120/G2120T/G2130/G2140 with Intel® HD Graphics
    • Intel® Pentium® Processor 3560Y/3556U/3550M/G3220/G3220T/G3320TE/G3420/G3420T/G3430 with Intel® HD Graphics
    • Intel® Celeron® Processor 927UE/1000M/1005M/1007U/1017U/1019Y/1020E/1020M/1037U/1047UE/G1610/G1620/G1620T/G1610T/G1630 with Intel® HD Graphics
    • Intel® Celeron® Processor 2980/2955U/2950M with Intel® HD Graphics

Full Range RGB is not available for previous generations of Intel® HD Graphics products, including 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with HD Graphics and earlier.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hmm, now found this on AVS; will give it a go when I get home tonight:

Anyone, who want FullRange RGB HDMI output on Intel Graphic may try this:

1. Find your current Intel Graphic Adapter software registry instance under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\xxxx

(0000 on my PC).

2.Create DWORD value:
    EnableRGBFullRange

and set it to 1

3. Reboot.

4. Enjoy.
    Does it work with both the older (Sandy / Ivy Bridge) drivers and the newer (Ivy Bridge / Haswell) drivers?

This key exists from very early drivers - G35 beginning, AFAIK

Idro

Portal Pro
    February 13, 2015
    Santa Marinella (Roma)
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello,

first of all I'd like to thank you for this guide.
    But one step is not clear for me.

You said I need to reset all settings, both for HTPC graphic card and TV. But while the mp4 calibration files are running (mostly for brightness and contrast) which settings I have to use, graphic card settings or tv ones?

I'm saying that because with graphic card settings I can regulate brightness, contrast and colour. Instead with tv settings I can regulate only contrast and brightness.

Second point: I have an HD Ready TV and my HTPC graphic card tell me the panel native resolution is 1080x768. So setting this resolution I see two little black stripe in the top and in the bottom of the panel. Actually not especially annoying (I consider that like a little movie effect in 16:9), but I tried to change the resolution in such a way to fill the entire panel, but the result is not in a correct 1:1 pixel mapping with any other resolution I set.
    So I think I keep the native resolution because of my panel does not support entirely the graphic card resolution, right?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hi quick reply bc i need to go to bed b4 my GF gets too angry!

1. your gpu can not always detect the correct native resolution of your tv.
    2. for hd ready tv you have to see what looks better the native resolution (get this from using google on tv model number) or 1280x720 (720p).
    3. you can adjust brightness anywhere, but i prefer to turn off all gpu settings and adjust brightness on the display. its hard/impossible to adjust brightness using your video card settings while you are playing back a fullscreen movie.

if you set gpu to native resolution and you enable 1:1 mapping on the tv and you get black bars then something is wrong, either the native resolution is wrong, or 1:1 mapping mode is not working. In these kinda situations you might have to settle for 1280x720 and adjust the scaling in mepo UI calibration menu.

Idro

Portal Pro
    February 13, 2015
    Santa Marinella (Roma)
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    if you set gpu to native resolution and you enable 1:1 mapping on the tv and you get black bars then something is wrong, either the native resolution is wrong, or 1:1 mapping mode is not working. In these kinda situations you might have to settle for 1280x720 and adjust the scaling in mepo UI calibration menu.

I have an HD Ready Philips since 2007 and it seems that if I set 1280x720 resolution I have no the little black stripes but I do not have the 1:1 mapping, if I set 1280x768 resolution I have the black stripes but I get the correct 1:1 mapping.

Where could I find the scaling adjusting inside mepo calibraion menu?

In general I am stuck to follow your guide to "Checking overscan inside MediaPortal" chapter, since if I run mepo and press F9 nothing really happens and also I didn't find "Screen UI is not clipped (Settings > GUI > Screen > Screen calibration)" menu.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Where could I find the scaling adjusting inside mepo calibraion menu?

In general I am stuck to follow your guide to "Checking overscan inside MediaPortal" chapter, since if I run mepo and press F9 nothing really happens and also I didn't find "Screen UI is not clipped (Settings > GUI > Screen > Screen calibration)" menu.

The screen calibration has scaling if you press OK. When you first load it, you can only move the visible area. Begin with getting the top and left arrow in position, then click OK on your remote or ENTER on your keyboard, then move the arrow keys to the left and up until all four corners are correct (one click on OK for each). Then you will see a square box with instructions to get the mapping in order. Each click cycles the different stretch/position option.

Emph

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Adjust the black clipping level

Play 1-Black Clipping.mp4
    There is flashing in all bars, however you only want to see flashing in 17 and above.
    Turn brightness on your tv down to 0%
    As you turn up the brightness you will see 25 flashing, then 24, then 23,22...
    Keep going higher until you can just faintly see that #17 is flashing

When I play the movie with vlc then I can see all the flashing bars how it should be but when I play the movie within MP, I can see no flashing bar in #18 and under. Does anybody know why it is so in my case?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Adjust the black clipping level

Play 1-Black Clipping.mp4
    There is flashing in all bars, however you only want to see flashing in 17 and above.
    Turn brightness on your tv down to 0%
    As you turn up the brightness you will see 25 flashing, then 24, then 23,22...
    Keep going higher until you can just faintly see that #17 is flashing

When I play the movie with vlc then I can see all the flashing bars how it should be but when I play the movie within MP, I can see no flashing bar in #18 and under. Does anybody know why it is so in my case?

'desktop colour' is 0-255 levels of grey.
    video is 16-235 levels of grey and 0-16 is all the same colour (black) and 235-255 is all the same colour (white).

You are clipping (discarding) 0-16 and 235-255 within MePo. This doesn't matter for watching videos as this range is useless.

The reason you see 0-16 flash in VLC and not MePo is that whatever codec you are using in MePo (LAV) is expanding video to 0-255 and then your display is clipping 0-16/235-255 where as VLC is sending out a 16-235 (compression), hence there is no clipping.

You can either

1. leave things as is with lav set to 0-255 output. there is no video information in 0-16 anyway, set the brightness so that you can just barely see #18 flash.
    2. change lav to always output 16-235. this will introduce the most banding. adjust brightness as per guide.
    3. setup your display and pixel output to both use 0-255. leave lav as 0-255. adjust brightness as per guide.

#1 or #3 is the best

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How can I setup my display and pixel output to 0-255? Can you give me a guide please, I don't know how you mean it.
    I'm using lav filters and the settings herefor should be right.

Attachments

• lav_settings.jpg
      lav_settings.jpg
      122.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom