erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have my MP perfectly set up and I want to back it up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for cloning the hard drive for restoring at a later point?

In the past I have used Clonezilla.

Thanks

parkuhr

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i can recomendt acronis trueimage. esay to use, very comfortable and safe.
    - can create backup wihle the system is running.
    - recovery with a few less clicks.
    its not free, but its worth its price.
    you can check the the trial version if interestet.

Last edited:

parkuhr

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    interesting;)
    but then its only the bootversion wich is also on the trueimage install-cd/dvd.
    its for the case, that you can even play back your backup-image (and of couse creating backups),if windows isnt starting anymore, or you have a new hdd/ssd.
    you can also install it, then you have the spoken and more benefits.

as free alternative, the te can also look at "redo backup".
    its gui based and very easy to use.
    http://redobackup.org/
    but its long not so comfortable then trueimage:)

greetings
    parkuhr

Last edited:

parkuhr

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    for me speaks two point against the integratet backup-tool in windows7:
    - the compression is long not so effective like with trueimage.
    an example: you want backup you system partition wich is 60gb big and from the 60gb are 30gb in use.
    if you now make a backup from it with with trueimage, your backup image is about 15gb big.
    that means trueimage can compress about 50% of the used space and reduce the size.
    with my experiences such an backup with the integratet windows7-tool, is about 25gb big.
    so you need more space for your backups if you use the win7-tool and also creating backups and recovery backups, takes longer becouse the backups are bigger.
    the secound point is, that is long not so comfortable then trueimage.
    i am not working for acronis or something;), but i use backups to be safe now for many years.
    i testet different solutions. trueimage was the best compromise, therefore i use it.
    now the te has also some free alternatives and can decide wich is the best option for him.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Acronis True Image all the way. Using it since years. Easy to revert to certain stages, update OS, change HDDs etc. It's the best Win solution at the moment and very easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 Odd Standby issue DE
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as I can tell, now when my HTPC wakes up to make a recording it no longer does so in away mode. I will probably do a restore from a backup in the hope that that will resolve the issue.:mad:
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as...
    Generally standby is working well on My Mp 1.32 x64 pre set up. I just have one issue, which was also present on earlier x86...
    Replies
    Views
    I'm not sure what the issue was, but I decided to try a different way of solving the problem. My server has a 2.5Gbps port and the 10Gbps card I added, so I've connected the HD Homerun directly to the 2.5G port, and its solved the problem, I can now copy large multiple files to the server and not suffer with picture issues. There is...
    I'm not sure what the issue was, but I decided to try a different way of solving the problem. My server has a 2.5Gbps port and the...
    My MP1 installation works perfectly, except if I transfer large files to my server. Network setup. HD Homerun Quad tuner -...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4.1 Resume playback from DE
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto Login do what it says on the tin. The only way to make it work is to manually log in each time. Any hints as to what I'm missing with the login system?
    Ok, thanks for the User Management tip - I now get what I would expect. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to make Auto...
    So "Resume playback from" only works when MediaPortal 2 has NOT been turned off, meaning if I shut MediaPortal 2 down, restart it...
    Replies
    Views
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web browser. You can sniff http comunication with the help of Wireshark or Fiddler to determine channel url which can be used to create IPTV channel in TV server. If the url is not static(changes dynamically)...
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web...
    So, I appear to have done a successful install of Media Portal (MP2 vers. 2.5) on my Windows 10 machine but I can't get it to get...
    Replies
    Views
    Yes correct that would have solved it. I guess I was more interested in finding out what I had done to cause the problem as the error message was of no help. By deleting everything I wouldn't have known so it was a learning curve for future reference. Fully understood I thought that might be the case. I also had some issues with...
    Yes correct that would have solved it. I guess I was more interested in finding out what I had done to cause the problem as the...
    I've just updated to Win 10 on a second drive and am installing MP 1.31. Having a bit of trouble with the install with the...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom