Hardware to power on system using remote? How? (1 Viewer)

AsGF2MX

Portal Member
August 27, 2005
How can I power on the system using a remote and what hardware do I need. Power on as in from S5/S4 .

andinaegnaeg

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Kempten, Germany
You can power up a computer by USB I think. You can enable that in the setup. The problem is that the usb device needs to get power all the time so a remote with an external powered IR-receiver should do the job. I too thought about that but I already have the MCE 2005 remote which is only USB powered and it's dead as long as the computer is turned off :(

For sure some guys here have that function already! The have a lot of energy to develop handy things!

K

ktg

andinaegnaeg
You should have a look at the manual of your main board. Some, like mine, have jumpers on the board to provide power for the USB interface even if the computer is switched off. Of course, this is only true as long as you don't switch off the power supply on the rear.
Hope, this will help.

andinaegnaeg

Portal Member
February 2, 2005
Kempten, Germany
I didn't find anything in the manual about the USB power. :? would be nice. I have to do some more research.

Isn't there a way to grab power from the power supply and connect it direct to the power ( ground, 12V) of one USB?? I have a connector for usb on my board. :?:

K

ktg

andinaegnaeg
I wouldn't recommend the latter, because applying 5V (not 12!!) to the USB connector would probably supply the 5V line of the whole board, and I don't think this would do any good.
If you eagerly want to have the receiver of your remote steadily supplied, the only way is to supply the receiver permanently with an external power supply. Do as follows:
You need 1 USB extension cord and 1 power supply 5V (not 6V and not 4.5V, but exactly 5V, commonly not available in every warehouse, but at suppliers of electronic stuff - in Germany like Reichelt or Conrad) 500mA to meet the USB specs (the small ones fitting directly into the wall outlet will do).
Get the extension cord and dismantle 4cm in the middle of it. Locate the wires for GND an 5V (I don't know, which color they have - this may vary) and cut them in the middle. Connect the GND from the new power supply to both ends of the previously cut GND wire. Connect the +5V from the new power supply only to that end of the 5V wire leading to the end of the cable, where the receiver is to be plugged. Leave the 5V wire leading towards the PC unconnected.
Be sure to have the fresh connections well isolated.
Be careful to determine the correct wires - a multimeter will be of great help.
You are done!
Understand, that I cannot take responsability for any damage this procedure may cause.
I explicitly don't recommend this to absolute beginners in matters of electronic stuff. If in doubt ask help from a more experienced mate!

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Intuition would suggest that a externally powered USB hub might be an object of experiment for the less DIY prone among us.
An expensive example would be this

Users who are viewing this thread