Hauppuge wintv-hvr 1250 (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Time Warner Cable, standard channels (Clear QAM)
    Great, okay. So when you scan you're always going to want to have the "tune QAM instead of ATSC" option ticked.

Mkay, so it looks like I need to be focusing on the ATSC Hauppauge.
    Yes, most likely. My understanding is that analog cable channels are getting rarer and rarer. The analog tuner can also be used for receiving FM radio, but lets get the TV channels working first and tackle FM if you want after that.

One thing I should make really clear is that the HVR-1250 is a hybrid tuner. That means at any given time you can only use the digital *or* analog tuner - you can't use them both simultaneously. TV Server can cope with this as long as we configure it correctly. Can I recommend that we do this before going any further, even if you don't intend to use the analog tuner. It may save problems down the road.
    There are instructions and details here in our wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/1_Hybrid_Cards
    (where you read "DVB-T", think ATSC - DVB-T is like ATSC for the rest of the world :))

You want to put the "Hauppauge WinTV 885 BDA Tuner/Demod" and "Hauppauge WinTV 885 Tuner" in one group. If that doesn't make sense then just say so and I'll try to give more precise instructions. After you've done that, click OK to close TV Server - TV Server should automatically restart when you do this.

I should also note that I also did the scan on the ATSC with and with out the QAM field checked, and all of the QAM's (HRC+3, etc). All returned 'no signal', I even waited till it hit "Physical Channel '3' ", which I know is a channel it should pick up.
    After you're through with the hybrid thing we'll tackle this. So I can get a jump start, would you mind telling me what part of the US are you in (a post code would be ideal)? I'm asking because we should be able to look up which channels are available from Time Warner in your area here:
    http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/
    It would help me to be able to look at your lineup and check which QAM standard would be appropriate.

I'm guessing the SoftMCE, is basically like 'PlayReady', which WMC installs during Tuner setup. (Darn you DMCA! Y U Make MS leave out Live TV Streaming?!)
    Not really. PlayReady is DRM - evil stuff (<shudders even thinking about it>!!!). SoftMCE is just a converter from analog to digital so that the computer can understand the signal. No DRM involved, so not half so bad.

mm
    :)

Last edited:

illutian

Portal Member
    July 8, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hehe, all ready grouped. That was about the only part I got from the 'wiki'.

As for zip code, 44720

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Thanks for the zip code. :)
    After a look at the lineup and our tuning details I think the correct standard to use is "QAM Standard". However, to save you some time, I've created a frequency list just for you (attached). This frequency list has two frequencies, one of which *should* work for channel 3-1 and 3-2 (physical channel 77). To use this:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Paste the following path into the address bar:
    (...for Windows Vista and 7) C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters\atsc
    (...for Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters\atsc
    3. Download/copy the attached file into that folder.
    4. Restart TV Server configuration.
    5. Go to the scanning section, and you should have a new QAM standard "illutian" (;)).
    6. Scan.

If the first frequency locks, then "QAM standard" should work.
    If the second frequency locks, then "QAM HRC +3" should work.
    If both work, I suggest use "QAM standard".
    If neither work, then try this:
    1. Go to the tuner list.
    2. Select the digital tuner.
    3. Click "edit" in the lower right corner.
    4. Change "preferred network provider" to "ATSC".
    5. Rescan (TV Server will automatically restart).

Does that work?
    mm

Attachments

• illutian.xml
      316 bytes

illutian

Portal Member
    July 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Well, if I leave the 'Preferred Network' on 'Generic' your XML locks on to Channel: 1, and 'no signal' on Channel: 2. If I select 'ATSC' as my preferred network then neither of those channels lock.

However, in all cases, 'QAM' and it's various types fail to lock regardless of what preferred network I pick. Even did a reboot to insure that the TV Server was restarted.

FYI: I am watching Live TV right now through WMC, so the Tuner does in fact work.

For installation I went through and specifically used the 'Advanced' setup and selected 'Dedicated TV Server' and allowed it to install the SQL Server (as I didn't have it). In the 'Project' hierarchy I've only gone as far as 'TV Servers', so all the other sections should have their default settings.

And I also just checked, 'MySQL' is started in the Windows' Services.

Procul

July 8, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there. Read this chain ... I am in similar position to 'spodiz'.

Got win7/Hauppauge WINTV HVR-1200 comes out as 885 Hybrid etc (In UK).
    Have tried the Digital and Analogue and S-Video routes... doing the Hybrid Card bit and the LAV... coders bit.
    Still get same message about not being able to 'generate graph' on anything I try.
    No TV/Video on any channel of any sort.
    Also got msg at one point about 'card not supported.. contact forums'-- don't know why.

Basically I want to see the Analogue input from a VCR.... Either as an Analogue TV channel OR as an S-Video input.
    Neither works. No useful messages. No idea if it would ever work on MP.
    (I am not too concerned about Digital at present).
    Couldn't get WMC to see the Analogue TV channel or the S-Video input.

I don't find MP intuitive to use at all. It seems v.difficult and complicated to use, options that I have no idea about.
    I don't understand the relationship between the four shortcuts stuck on the Desktop...
    MP Config/MP Ext.Inst/MP/TV-Server Config
    What should be run or not and in what order... if any?

Any help appreciated .... otherwise i'll just give up with MP?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again illutian

Well, if I leave the 'Preferred Network' on 'Generic' your XML locks on to Channel: 1, and 'no signal' on Channel: 2. If I select 'ATSC' as my preferred network then neither of those channels lock.

However, in all cases, 'QAM' and it's various types fail to lock regardless of what preferred network I pick. Even did a reboot to insure that the TV Server was restarted.
    Okay - well the first channel is in the QAM standard list, so that does not make a whole lot of sense!

FYI: I am watching Live TV right now through WMC, so the Tuner does in fact work.
    You're not doing that while scanning, right? in other words, I take it you're aware that you can only use the tuner in one application at a time.

Alright, it is time to pull out the "big guns": please can you post your TV Server logs.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left hand corner.
    3. Zip up the files that you find there and attach the zip file to a post here.

Thanks,
    mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Procul

Have tried the Digital and Analogue and S-Video routes... doing the Hybrid Card bit and the LAV... coders bit.
    Still get same message about not being able to 'generate graph' on anything I try.
    No TV/Video on any channel of any sort.
    Also got msg at one point about 'card not supported.. contact forums'-- don't know why.
    I'm guessing here, but I think the answer to this problem is the same as the answer I gave to illutian: you need Hauppauge's SoftMCE/SoftPVR application. Get it from -->here<--. The LAV codecs are video and audio *decoders*; what you need is *encoders* to convert the analog signal supplied by the tuner into a digital signal that software in your computer can manipulate.

Basically I want to see the Analogue input from a VCR.... Either as an Analogue TV channel OR as an S-Video input.
    So to do that, install the package above, then go to the scanning section for the tuner and click "add s-video channels". You'll see a bunch of channels added to your TV channel list. At least one of them should supply the VCR signal to you. This is documented in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7_Scan_Analog

Neither works. No useful messages. No idea if it would ever work on MP.
    Surely the message "... contact forums" is pretty clear, no?

Just so you are aware, tuners that require software encoders are not officially supported precisely because they are such a pain to set up and often prove unreliable (video and audio just stop in the middle of viewing/recording) or unsatisfying (bad picture quality, video audio sync issues). No amount of guides or help supplied on the forums has been able to get around the setup complexity, and the technical issues are not going away. I'm not trying to make excuses - just saying

I don't find MP intuitive to use at all. It seems v.difficult and complicated to use, options that I have no idea about.
    Well MP is not for everyone. You're absolutely free and entitled to choose other software. :)

I don't understand the relationship between the four shortcuts stuck on the Desktop...
    MP Config/MP Ext.Inst/MP/TV-Server Config
    What should be run or not and in what order... if any?
    MP: main application for viewing TV, video, listening to music etc. Compared to WMC, think of it as WMC without the TV support.
    MP Config: configuration for MP. You can configure some things from the "settings" menu inside MP, but for more advanced stuff you will need to use MP config.
    MP Ext. Inst: for installing extensions to MP (plugins). Like web browser plugins, plugins for viewing online videos, different skins... all sorts of stuff.
    TV Server config: MP is a two part application. There is MP the client for viewing stuff, and TV Server which is responsible for TV support (timeshifting, recording, scheduling, TV channel management). TV Server is a service that runs in the background with a plugin so that you can watch TV in MP. You configure TV Server with TV Server configuration.

Maybe you would benefit by reading the quick start guide in the wiki?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup

mm

illutian

Portal Member
    July 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi again illutian

Okay - well the first channel is in the QAM standard list, so that does not make a whole lot of sense!

You're not doing that while scanning, right? in other words, I take it you're aware that you can only use the tuner in one application at a time.

Alright, it is time to pull out the "big guns": please can you post your TV Server logs.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left hand corner.
    3. Zip up the files that you find there and attach the zip file to a post here.

Thanks,
    mm

Here you are.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again illutian

So it looks like there are a combination of two things going on:
    1. In some cases, the tuner is in use [by WMC I guess?] when you scan, so TV Server can't use it properly. You can guess this is occurring when the scan happens comparatively quickly.
    2. It doesn't look like you're letting the scan run all the way through all the time. I could be wrong about that (and if I am, I apologisse unreservedly) but maybe this is because you think channels should be found on the 3rd frequency (ch 3)? Keep in mind that ch 3 is a virtual channel number - the actual physical channel number associated with ch 3 is ch 77, so it is safest to let the scan get all the way through.

Maybe you could try the attached frequency list - this is based on the full Silicondust info for your area so it should pick up everything as long as the SD info is correct.

mm

Attachments

• illutian.xml
      792 bytes

illutian

Portal Member
    July 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi again illutian

So it looks like there are a combination of two things going on:
    1. In some cases, the tuner is in use [by WMC I guess?] when you scan, so TV Server can't use it properly. You can guess this is occurring when the scan happens comparatively quickly.
    2. It doesn't look like you're letting the scan run all the way through all the time. I could be wrong about that (and if I am, I apologisse unreservedly) but maybe this is because you think channels should be found on the 3rd frequency (ch 3)? Keep in mind that ch 3 is a virtual channel number - the actual physical channel number associated with ch 3 is ch 77, so it is safest to let the scan get all the way through.

Maybe you could try the attached frequency list - this is based on the full Silicondust info for your area so it should pick up everything as long as the SD info is correct.

mm

lol, whoops, Ya, after Channel: 67, I started getting signals. I'll use the XML you provided unless the stations that I want to watch don't show up.

But, now that I have the TV Server running and the Client running all the channels(?) are 'Unknown' and are reported as scrambled. I did install the SoftMCE on the TV Server. And I've installed the WebEPG Plugin.

Pretty sure I have everything....I think :confused:

EDIT: I didn't install in extensions for the Client.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread