How Milkdrop2 works on RC1 (1 Viewer)

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well I tried adding milk2.ini into C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\plugins and now MP crashes when I start it.

I get a black screen only with a mouse curser in it. When I kill MP my screen pixel format has been changed from YCbCr4.4.4 to YCbCr4.2.2 so presumably MD was trying to change my screen res but failed for some reason.

I'm using MP1.0.1 and the only mod Ive made is to add the milk2.ini file in the directory that Mark indicated. If there are other patches and mods to be made then I haven't yet made them. Though I have pruned down contents of the preset and textures directory to remove visualisations which I dont like.

I have gone back to having no milk2.ini file in the ./plugins/plugins dir as at least this sort of works.

Kev

MARKFNZ

Portal Member
August 8, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I noticed with MP 1.0.1 it initialises Milkdrop on startup, as there was an old problem in the earlier versions that Milkdrop would crash MP the first time it ran after a reboot. You could then just restart MP and it would work fine. I think perhaps they have decided to initialise Milkdrop on startup to maybe fix this.

When I run MP, I get the Milkdrop window pop up for a couple of seconds at startup and then dissapear.

I wonder if perhaps the settings changes you have made to Milkdrop have caused an issue, and because MP only sees these changes when the ini is in .\plugins\plugins the issue only shows when you have the new milkdrop2.ini file in there?

Can you try a fresh install of Milkdrop, to recreate the milkdrop2.ini file, copy that to the .\plugins\plugins and see if that works...then change one thing at a time, and copy the .ini file to see if a certain setting is causing the issue? Maybe even just delete the .ini file in the viz folder and see if it creates a new one?

Mark

B

BassFan

i have no idea which problem any user has with path of Plugin.
Default Folder for ALL Winamp Plugin is..
Winamp/Plugins = Application/Plugins

also the right path should be .. (Application = MP) the path to the EXE File of MP
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins
NOT !!
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\plugins
All Winamp Plugins search her in this Folder for plugin.ini or Milk for milk2.ini

greets

MARKFNZ

Portal Member
August 8, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
I can confirm Mark's observations.

I deleted milk2.ini. Ran MP config and configured MD via the Music player visualisation tab, configure winamp Milkdrop button. I then set the fullscreen resolution to 720x576p and set MD to start in full screen. Closed MP config and noted that a new milk2.ini had been created (hopefully without corruption as I had only changed fullscreen res and told it to start full screen.

Ran MP without copying the milk2.ini file to the plugins directory and noted that MD ran but with my standrad screen res of 1920x1080p with tearing (ie. MD did not switch to 720x576p).

I then closed MP and copied milk2.ini to C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins as suggested by BassFan.

I then ran MP and started music. Vis ran but at 1920x1080p with screen tearing.

Closed MP and moved milk2.ini to C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\plugins

Reran MP. This time MP crashed at startup (as before).

Conclusion

1. MD doesn't work well on my setup.
2. Unless Milk2.ini is in C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\plugins then MP does not read it.

I attach a copy of my milk2.ini and my crashlog in case it helps.

Kev

Attachments

• milk2.zip
    30.6 KB

MARKFNZ

Portal Member
August 8, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Kev,

Good to know you've confirmed the ini location. What version of Milkdrop are you running? I'm running an older version, vis_milk2.dll dated 20/12/2007. See if you can source some other versions to what you're running to see if it helps? I've heard reports of the new versions having issues. If you can't find one, let me know and I can email a copy of the dlls I'm using. Don't forget to recopy the nscrt.dll file as well if you change versions.

Mark

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Mark

I'm running whatever files are installed by MP1.0.1.0. No SVNs or added files.

All files are located wherevere the installer put them. I've not done anything to or with nscrt.dll etc.

I think I'm running MD 2.0c (according to the visualisation tab in the music player config)

vis_milk2.dll dated 20 December 2007, 18:13:12

Kev

MARKFNZ

Portal Member
August 8, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
OK. I'm also running MP 1.0.1.0. I have a slighter older version of Milkdrop. Attached is a file with everything you need, in the correct folder structure. Just unzip this to the Media Portal folder and give it another shot. You will still need to copy the ini file once you've set the resolution.

Attachments

• Milkdrop2.zip
    30.6 KB

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Mark

Many thanks for uploading the viz directory.

With your version I get different behaviour.

I copied your files across, ran the MP config app, saved the new milk2.ini file and copied this to the plugins/plugins directory.

Then I ran MP.

It crashed initially. Then when I ran it a second time MP did at least start. My screen had been screwed up though and my pixel colour space had been changed from 4.4.4 to 4.2.2 so all my colours were messed up but never the less it did at least start.

When I play a song I dont get the milkdrop viz running. Instaed I just get a black screen - well dark green actually as my colours are really screwed. Anyway it was worth a try so many thanks again for your kind help.

Maybe when the MD issue was marked as fixed - this was some previous version of MP :).

It seems very ill on my machine. Maybe it doesn't like my video card.

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom