How to start writing your own plugin part 1 available (1 Viewer)

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
If you're at the beginning of the learning curve why not learn C# :D

Yes you need to build the main MP project to have access to most referenced assemblies.

booyakasha

Portal Pro
December 6, 2005
Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
2. I read the tutorial in the first post,as it is based on C# it says to download MP source, compile it and then start the plugin project.
Why is this neccessary? To get the references?

How do I do this completly without C#? Just forget about compiling MP and just work "in the dark"?!

Are you well-versed in vb.net or are you at the beginning of the learning curve in it? If you're new to vb.net, you may be better off learning C# as that's what MP is written in. As for the compiling of the source code, I've never actually done it (nor needed to), although I use the source code for tutorials all the time. I use one folder for the normal MP install and then have the source in another folder for tutorial purposes. Then I use the release version DLL's as references for my plugins.
As previously stated, the best way to learn is look at other plugins. Many are already in the MP source code. Looking at and understanding the current source code is probably the best solution. I'm not sure you can do this entirely without C#, or at least understanding C# and perusing the source with your favourite text editor, then translating the code from C# to vb.net. Seems like double the effort imho

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
I am used to vb.net and have setup my whole system.
Also I have the free vb.net express version. (I wonder whether vc.net express will compile MP?!)

Thats the reason for looking for using VB. If it comes with a lot of incentives I should start learning C now..

MSMP

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Okotoks, Alberta (foothills of the Rocky Mountains
Home Country
Canada Canada
Compiling MP in Visual C# 2005 Express editon.

Hi all,

I've tried to follow the steps in setting up the MP programming environment.

1. Installing SVN (tortoise)
2. Installing Visual C# 2005 Express Edition sp1
3. Installing SDK for .net
4. Installing SDK for direct X
5. Downloading source with Tortoise
6. Opening the project in C#, setting to Release (changed from debug)​
When I try to build the application I get some 70 + errors but many of them repeat themselves.

Compiled List of Errors:

1. Type or namespace name "mshtml" not found
2. Utils.dll not found
3. Core.dll not found
4. Databases.dll not found
5. Webepg.dll not found
6. Remoteplugins.dll not found
7. Tvcapture.dll not found
8. Dialogs.dll not found
9. Musicsharewatcherhelper.dll not found
10. Processplugins.dll not found​
Each of them will repeat with different directories they are missing from.

Any Idea what is going on here?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Install the .NET SDK (fixes missing mshtml). It's part of Visual Studio, but for the Express editions it's a seperate download.

MSMP

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Okotoks, Alberta (foothills of the Rocky Mountains
Home Country
Canada Canada
:D Thanks guys for your help and hints

What I had to do was clearing the SVN folder and retrieving the sourcecode again. Somehow a few things got messed up while downloading the first time. I should have seen it by the little exclamation mark on the folder.
Right now MP is compiling fine.

McChots

Portal Pro
August 2, 2006
Johannesburg
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
For mshtml in C# Express you can add a reference to the Microsoft HTML Type Library in COM reference. (.NET SDK is a big download on dial-up)

I don't know if it loses any functionality but it seems fine just to compile.

BlackSun

Portal Member
June 15, 2006
I've been wondering if it is possible to write a plugin that you can display during video playback ? (like a menu, my plugin will interact with the directshow filters)

hebat allah

March 28, 2007
Home Country
Egypt Egypt
hello For all,
i want to know if it is available to make users for MP and each user will have a login with username and password , and then each user can control the shape and the form of His/Her MP interface,are this valid????

also i have question about if we can change the home page of MP depending on the customized form interface of each user.

i think all of these ideas are valid,but really i don't know how that will be done.and implmented, but i think if that done,it will make a greate change in the media portal and be more intersiting.
so if any one can help me in doing that, it will be good from him
thanks for all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom